Taylor Swift - Folklore

metallex78

I’ll just say these few things first:

I’m a 42 year old metal & rock loving dad.

I feeling awkward admitting I like, and possibly even love this Taylor Swift album.

Now that is out of the way, I’ll just add that I was never a fan of Taylor Swift, quite the opposite in fact. But my wife likes her, and I’ll admit, she can write great pop songs, it just wasn’t for me.

Anyway, my wife played a couple of songs while I was in the car, from this album Folklore, and I was impressed enough, to check out the rest of the album.

Now, this album is mostly acoustic guitar and piano based, kinda folky sounding music, with Swift singing some very melancholy, sad, and kinda reflective, happier songs.
I think the fact that it doesn’t sound like what she normally does, is why it appeals to me.

And now, a few months after listening to it, quite a lot, it’s fair to say I love this album.

Well 2021, you got me, I never expected to be listening to Taylor Swift, and of my own accord. But here we are.

Discuss…

Edited by metallex78
Grammar

3 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I’m sure @RussTCBwill have something to add to this discussion 

This album is such a weird thing for me because I've been a fan of hers since the beginning. We saw her open for someone (I can't remember who) right before her first album came out. I liked her a lot that night and followed her from the first album on. 

I liked everything she did up to and including 1989. Then I thought the next two records after that were complete trash. 

So when everyone was losing their minds about this album (Folklore), I wasn't sure what to make of it. Taylor Swift fans are super dedicated and they'll tell you every album kicks ass no matter what lol. But then a lot of people started saying what you said "I've never been a fan, but this is awesome" etc. 

I broke down and blind bought the album on vinyl a few weeks back. I really like it but I don't think it's the greatest album ever made or anything. I've actually been trying to figure out what the secret ingredient is that's making everyone praise this particular album so much. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great but she's had a lot of great material prior to this so I'm confused on how/why this one album is so universal. 

• Like 1

I think it’s that she’s captured melancholy sadness, heartbreak and hope, and wrapped it up into perfect little indie pop songs.

She really has a way with her words, to make it sound almost like poetry in some ways.

As for its appeal, I think the world is in a weird place, since Covid hit, and this collection of songs, seems to really hit home, especially for the lonely.

I’m just delving into the follow up, Evermore, and it’s just as good, and in some places, even better. 

• Like 1