Why do so many people find Axl so fascinating?

DurhamGirl

Because Axl Rose is like the modern Rock God. People will rather criticize him and Narcissistically bitch about what he hasn't done for their likings than admit the goods he HAS done. This includes having released several several superb albums with great vocal performances, most capturing stage performances in our times both vocally and physically, and Chinese Democracy has proven that Axl Rose sure as hell knows how to musically get his message across in music! Yes he did only create one album since the original band's disintegration, but even so, is that one album not just mind-capturing and some of the best modern music material you have heard? It's like a fine wine that keeps getting better the more that people hear it! I would call his overall amount of music effort he has contributed to the world as absolutely amazing! What would we do without our Axl Rose?

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Thanks 1

Axl is 1 of the last remaining bonafide "rockstars" that still holds some mystery. ppl like that & are drawn to those personalities. In 2021, most musicians/celebs are super accessible & doing every podcast on earth & yet we still have no clue what Axl's eating for breakfast or seeing paparazzi photos constantly of him out & about. On the rare occasion that he does sit down to speak, even his haters will knock you down to listen to him. he's a bit of a weirdo that most of us can relate to & he also has an inexplicable hypnotizing magnetism that draws ppl in like a drug. I may be biased bc I have been "in love" w/him all these years lol I last saw them on Sept. 8, 2021 & was right down in front behind barricade & he still had me mesmerized lol Axl isn't an attn whore & he still has "star" power bc he left the spotlight for a long ass time & when he reemerged, ppl of all ages were still interested & drawn to him as much as we all were in 1987 :axl92::hahafyou:

Edited by mrspg
spelling
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, mrspg said:

Axl is 1 of the last remaining bonafide "rockstars" that still holds some mystery. ppl like that & are drawn to those personalities. In 2021, most musicians/celebs are super accessible & doing every podcast on earth & yet we still have no clue what Axl's eating for breakfast or seeing paparazzi photos constantly of him out & about. On the rare occasion that he does sit down to speak, even his haters will knock you down to listen to him. he's a bit of a weirdo that most of us can relate to & he also has an inexplicable hypnotizing magnetism that draws ppl in like a drug. I may be biased bc I have been "in live" w/him all these years lol I last saw them on Sept. 8, 2021 & was right down in front behind barricade & he still had me mesmerized lol Axl isn't an attn whore & he still has "star" power bc he left the spotlight for a long ass time & when he reemerged, ppl of all ages were still interested & drawn to him as much as we all were in 1987 :axl92::hahafyou:

Spot on.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 1:27 AM, DurhamGirl said:

Why do so  many people find Axl so fascinating (me included).  I cannot think of another well known person who stirs emotions quite like he does.

There’s always been an Axl Rose. He’s one of dozens of “Characters” within rock n roll. You finding him fascinating doesn’t make him so. Jim Morrison was fascinating, Hendrix was fascinating, John Lennon, Lemmy, Lurt Cobain, Keith Richards, and a couple of dozen more could be labelled fascinating also. Axl’s just another rock n roll guy. 

3 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

There’s always been an Axl Rose. He’s one of dozens of “Characters” within rock n roll. You finding him fascinating doesn’t make him so. Jim Morrison was fascinating, Hendrix was fascinating, John Lennon, Lemmy, Lurt Cobain, Keith Richards, and a couple of dozen more could be labelled fascinating also. Axl’s just another rock n roll guy. 

to you. Fascinating or not, that is a subjective matter. You just seem to hold other musicians in higher regard compared to Axl. Many people think Axl is unique and fascinating and personally I don't know of any other musician that is similar to him. There has never been anyone like him and there never will be imo. 

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

to you. Fascinating or not, that is a subjective matter. You just seem to hold other musicians in higher regard compared to Axl. Many people think Axl is unique and fascinating and personally I don't know of any other musician that is similar to him. There has never been anyone like him and there never will be imo. 

What makes him unique? 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I have already shared the reasons for why I find him unique in this thread. (page 1) others have also given reasons I agree with.

Axl had a great voice, he was musically talented, he wrote some great lyrics. But he’s one of dozens. I love GnR and it wouldn’t be it without him. But he’s a singer in a rock n roll band, there was almost 30 years of it before him. What did Axl do that others didn’t? Even fucking off for a few years under mysterious circumstances had been done by Brian Wilson. Brilliant as GnR were in their hey day, they were Zeppelin for the 80s. (Better than in my opinion, but that’s not a popular opinion). 

Axls voice soundtracked a generation but so did and, have many others. His lyrics are interesting, but so were Jim Morrison’s. What he’s done had been done before. 

45 minutes ago, Rovim said:

he was really good at being Axl Rose. The best.

That’s what I said initially. He’s one of the dozens of “characters” that make up rock n roll. He’s unique, just like all the rest I mentioned. No more and no less “fascinating” than any of the rest of those “characters”. Maybe if you feel a personal affinity with these “characters” it’s different. But Bill Baileys just a dude like all the other dudes who ever made it in rock n roll. 

1 minute ago, Powderfinger said:

That’s what I said initially. He’s one of the dozens of “characters” that make up rock n roll. He’s unique, just like all the rest I mentioned. No more and no less “fascinating” than any of the rest of those “characters”. Maybe if you feel a personal affinity with these “characters” it’s different. But Bill Baileys just a dude like all the other dudes who ever made it in rock n roll. 

why are you calling him Bill Bailey now though? and why can't you simply accept that every person views shit differently? it's not that complicated: I find Axl to be a unique and fascinating musician. I think there is only 1 Axl Rose. You seem to have a weird need to define him in such a way that makes it clear to everyone that he is nothing special. Unique, but just like all the rest of the musicians you've mentioned that are not Axl Rose. To each his own.

I used Bill Bailey to show the guys just human. He’s a talented one, but he’s just another guy in a band. He’s fascinating if that fascinates you. I don’t get what makes him unique. His voice is the standout example, but there’s lots of great voices. Within the realm of music. He’s another dude. 

He’s special in the way he’s contributed to music, but lots of bands and artists do that. Unique for me is something that you see once in a lifetime, changes their artistic field, turns it on its head. Hendrix did that. John Lennon did that. Axl could have done it, but didn’t. Maybe that’s what’s fascinating about him in the end. What might have been... 

Anyways, I didn’t mean to nitpick or whatever, I just wondered what makes him fascinating as opposed to any other guy in a band.. To me they’re just a great band. There’s a lot of great  bands. 

6 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Axl had a great voice, he was musically talented, he wrote some great lyrics. But he’s one of dozens. I love GnR and it wouldn’t be it without him. But he’s a singer in a rock n roll band, there was almost 30 years of it before him. What did Axl do that others didn’t? Even fucking off for a few years under mysterious circumstances had been done by Brian Wilson. Brilliant as GnR were in their hey day, they were Zeppelin for the 80s. (Better than in my opinion, but that’s not a popular opinion). 

Axls voice soundtracked a generation but so did and, have many others. His lyrics are interesting, but so were Jim Morrison’s. What he’s done had been done before. 

You think GNR are a better band than Zeppelin?

3 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I used Bill Bailey to show the guys just human. He’s a talented one, but he’s just another guy in a band. He’s fascinating if that fascinates you. I don’t get what makes him unique. His voice is the standout example, but there’s lots of great voices. Within the realm of music. He’s another dude. 

He’s special in the way he’s contributed to music, but lots of bands and artists do that. Unique for me is something that you see once in a lifetime, changes their artistic field, turns it on its head. Hendrix did that. John Lennon did that. Axl could have done it, but didn’t. Maybe that’s what’s fascinating about him in the end. What might have been... 

Anyways, I didn’t mean to nitpick or whatever, I just wondered what makes him fascinating as opposed to any other guy in a band.. To me they’re just a great band. There’s a lot of great  bands. 

lol yeah ok. Thanks for clarifying. Axl is just human. Axl is just another guy. no matter how interesting one finds him: he's just another dude. Good voice, but it ends there. Got it.

it's fun explaining to another Gn'R fan why I find Axl interesting and unique in a Gn'R forum. This thread delivered.

If you are considered "unique", it's not that you have something no one had ever seen in any human... actually, I can trace some of Axl's unique traits in other people, too. But still, his combination and the intensity is something you meet once in a lifetime. He sees perspectives others don't see and marches to the beat of his own drum. I can experience the world as a pattern, to describe it the best I can, and Axl is an entirely different tone in that pattern. A head turner. Kind of intimidating and provocative. If you see Slash and Duff, they are way more of your guys next door kind of people, more smooth, more to fit in. There are many different characters in rock'n'roll, like working class hero Brian Johnson, sharp and smooth Jagger, theatrical Tyler, golden god Plant or aristocratic mage Pagey, all those cool, laid back guitarists... you pick who you resonate with.  

He might have not change the whole field, but sure as hell he left a deep scratch on the culture. Axl is a man of open questions, of unanswered and vague, as a songwriter slightly detached from latest news.

We are all humans and one of Axl's most beautiful traits is being just human. Nothing more, nothing less. Flesh and bones like anyone, yet soaked with contagious amount of life. Humble, vulnerable human, genuinely himself, at times standing on the front boxes in the front, tiny and huge, just happy that he can share a piece of his heart. The way he's giving it all. Enigmatic and readable like an open book. He doesn't need to tell you how it feels like, he lets you know. 

He doesn't have a legacy advantage of dying in the height of their fame an abilities as many of whom he's compared to: be it Hendrix, or also Lennon. Or Jim Morrison... or... others who didn't make it to be thirty? I think Slash said that even in creative business, from all the people he'd met, Axl is the most unique. 

• Like 1