Just out of curiosity I looked at the numbers of plays that CD has on spotify.

This I love is the most popular song by a long way with 23.5 million plays.

CD itself and Better have 19 million plays each.

Twat and SoD have 9 million each.

Madagascar and CITR have 5 million, well behind If The World on 9 million.

Some interesting info. there. I wouldn't have thought that This I Love was the most popular song on the album, though it's the most like November Rain I guess. Overall, even though CD sold less than other GNR albums, these figures actually compare quite well to the streams on other GNR albums on spotify, especially the 2nd tier level songs.

Edited by axl666
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Ballads are the most popular songs amongst mist listeners of music

If The World is an extremely well written song: great vocal melodies, and great instruments. Just doesn't sit well with the so called rock purists bc it doesnt follow conventional blues rock tropes

• Like 4
12 hours ago, axl666 said:

Just out of curiosity I looked at the numbers of plays that CD has on spotify.

This I love is the most popular song by a long way with 23.5 million plays.

CD itself and Better have 19 million plays each.

Twat and SoD have 9 million each.

Madagascar and CITR have 5 million, well behind If The World on 9 million.

Some interesting info. there. I wouldn't have thought that This I Love was the most popular song on the album, though it's the most like November Rain I guess. Overall, even though CD sold less than other GNR albums, these figures actually compare quite well to the streams on other GNR albums on spotify, especially the 2nd tier level songs.

Is there an easy way to see what all the other stuff has playwise? I don’t have Spotify but would be interesting to see how some CD stuff compares to UYI stuff.

6 hours ago, Mendez said:

If The World is an extremely well written song: great vocal melodies, and great instruments. Just doesn't sit well with the so called rock purists bc it doesnt follow conventional blues rock tropes

Perhaps people just don't like it? My Mrs finds the vocal melodies really repetitive and thinks the music is the intro to a Bond film. She's not a classic rocker either. Quite the contrary. Conversely I hated it when I first heard the leaks in 2007. But now I quite like it. Though I would acknowledge that the melodies do get a little annoying after a bit. But the guitar solo is cool and so is the instrumentation. To my ears anyway.

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Is there an easy way to see what all the other stuff has playwise? I don’t have Spotify but would be interesting to see how some CD stuff compares to UYI stuff.

There's nothing difficult at all to it. You just hover your cursor over the song and it tells you how many plays it has.

In relation to UY1, the less well known songs have plays in the range of the better CD songs. For instance Don't Damn Me has 12M and Coma has 12M.

November Rain in contrast has close to 500M, Don't Cry 240M and LALD 107M.

On UY12, Dont Cry and KOHD are the most popular songs on 240M and 340M respectively. YCBM has 100M.

Most of the other songs are in around the 12-15 M plays. Estranged is a bit of an outlier with 50M plays, so very popular without being immensely popular.

34 minutes ago, axl666 said:

There's nothing difficult at all to it. You just hover your cursor over the song and it tells you how many plays it has.

In relation to UY1, the less well known songs have plays in the range of the better CD songs. For instance Don't Damn Me has 12M and Coma has 12M.

On UY12, Dont Cry and KOHD are the most popular songs on 240M and 340M respectively. YCBM has 100M.

Most of the other songs are in around the 12-15 M plays. Estranged is a bit of an outlier with 50M plays, so very popular without being immensely popular.

Cheers mate - I’ve never used Spotify so have no idea how it works!

11 minutes ago, hollywood_democracy said:

Interesting that Prostitute has so few listens. I would have thought it would be equal to TWAT or Madagascar... Riad, Scraped and IRS having so few listens makes sense though, as they're harder, non-radio friendly song. 

Riad and Scraped are fucking awful, that'a why! I mean they are sooooo bad they offend my ears! 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s comforting to see that Don’t Cry Alt has more plays than Don’t Cry Original

Well that's it. I'll sleep easy tonight I can tell you. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

It’s comforting to see that Don’t Cry Alt has more plays than Don’t Cry Original

No, It's Spotify that considers both Don't Cries as one song, so the number is a summary of both which doesn't make it clear which one has more plays.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, reayj2003 said:

So has Chinese had a resurgence since the Not in This Lifetime era? 

How do those Chi Dem stream numbers compare with Velvet Revolver songs?

Interesting question and results:

Gnr-Vs-VR-Spotify-Data.jpg

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Mendez said:

Ballads are the most popular songs amongst mist listeners of music

If The World is the grooviest song on ChiDem behind or after Scraped. Also one of Axl's greatest vocals delivery in the catalog 

6 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Perhaps people just don't like it? My Mrs finds the vocal melodies really repetitive and thinks the music is the intro to a Bond film. She's not a classic rocker either. Quite the contrary. Conversely I hated it when I first heard the leaks in 2007. But now I quite like it. Though I would acknowledge that the melodies do get a little annoying after a bit. But the guitar solo is cool and so is the instrumentation. To my ears anyway.

I think James Bond film was the musically idea they were going for when writing it

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

@DTJ80Here's full data for Studio Tracks only. Image is large.

https://i.ibb.co/XtR250R/Gnr-Spotify-Data.jpg

Thanks mate - that’s very helpful.

Some interesting stuff - Since I Don’t Have You is so much higher than anyone would have thought. Maybe if it’s being played via the Greatest Hits I guess? Locomotive and PTU way down too.

3 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Interesting question and results:

Gnr-Vs-VR-Spotify-Data.jpg

Bearing in mind Slither and Fall To Pieces were monster hits with massive airplay....for This I Love to be up there after no airplay/exposure is quite a thing.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, axl666 said:

What about My World? Surely that has hit the Billion plays by now...

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

What about My World? Surely that has hit the Billion plays by now...

My World is the least listened to GNR original on spotify. The least listened to songs (there are five that are listened to less than my World) are all covers.

These numbers overall are interesting, but it's worth considering that they are a specific sample. it's worth considering that

because GNR fans tend to be slightly older at this point in time, they are also likely to be listening to music through CDs, ITunes etc.

So the real numbers of GNR listens worldwide are likely to be much higher. I listen to GNR everyday for example, but through my ipod and

never on spotify, which I mainly use for finding new music rather than music that I know that I already like.

1 hour ago, axl666 said:

My World is the least listened to GNR original on spotify. The least listened to songs (there are five that are listened to less than my World) are all covers.

These numbers overall are interesting, but it's worth considering that they are a specific sample. it's worth considering that

because GNR fans tend to be slightly older at this point in time, they are also likely to be listening to music through CDs, ITunes etc.

So the real numbers of GNR listens worldwide are likely to be much higher. I listen to GNR everyday for example, but through my ipod and

never on spotify, which I mainly use for finding new music rather than music that I know that I already like.

True - but it’s still a telling sample of what folk choose to listen to GNR wise....and I know loads of older folk who only listen to Spotify now!

On 3/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, 19AT5 said:

Riad and Scraped are fucking awful, that'a why! I mean they are sooooo bad they offend my ears! 

Riad’s actually a decent song but it could be so much better without the Immigrant Song style screaming between the verses

38 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

Riad’s actually a decent song but it could be so much better without the Immigrant Song style screaming between the verses

The yelping is bad and so are the lyrics. But that aside yes there are some cool riffs in there. But the former two points ruin it for me! 

20 hours ago, slash23579 said:

Wow, never thought of this. Immediately loaded the multitracks and removed some vocals and amplified a few parts of the guitar tracks. Both songs sound more like straight up rockers now. :headbang:

I remember back in 2008 CD topped the torrent charts, and by that I mean was being illegally downloaded more than even the other albums that outperformed CD at that time in sales.

(For the record (no pun intended) I purchased multiple copies of CD on CD and also on vinyl)

I intend to do the same with the next album.