GN'R, Great White, and the "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" cover

9 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Wow! I never knew that it was a cover song. I thought Great White had composed it. I like Great White due to that song and Rock Me.  Additionally, I didn't know that GNR was going to cover it. I think it would have sounded even better!

Damn, neither did I. And I really like Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson.

On 3/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, Sisyphus said:

Niven comes off as such a gigantic prick to me. Good riddance.

Niven could be a total prick at times which is why he was so beneficial to GN’R - he was no yes man - so I’m not so sure about the ‘good riddance’ bit.

Under his management GNR went from an unheard of band to the biggest band in the world In no time and saw 4 separate releases in 5 years. Since his departure the band basically disintegrated and has managed 1 OG release with 1 OG member in 30 years.

Niven was both vital and under appreciated due to revisionist history as he wasn’t a yes man to the person who controls the legacy.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 2:59 PM, Euchre said:

Niven could be a total prick at times which is why he was so beneficial to GN’R - he was no yes man - so I’m not so sure about the ‘good riddance’ bit.

Under his management GNR went from an unheard of band to the biggest band in the world In no time and saw 4 separate releases in 5 years. Since his departure the band basically disintegrated and has managed 1 OG release with 1 OG member in 30 years.

Niven was both vital and under appreciated due to revisionist history as he wasn’t a yes man to the person who controls the legacy.

I don't see it that way. They were a young and hungry band. I honestly don't think the number of releases had much to do with him. If anything he's been taking credit for the events he had no pivotal role in. The disintegration was due to money (too much of it), ego and lack of direction. I don't think Niven or anyone else could have prevented that. That's just my feeling.

He's resentful and bitter ever since he was booted. He can't let go off the fact Axl didn't want to work with him anymore so he's just badmouthing him any chance he gets while glorifying Izzy to death for obvious reasons. He's taking all kind of personal shots at Axl too. It's just politics.

He's obnoxious, sour, disgruntled, sad old man who's been mooching off his GN'R connection ever since he got canned.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

I don't see it that way. They were a young and hungry band. I honestly don't think the number of releases had much to do with him.

He's resentful and bitter ever since he was booted. He can't let go off the fact Axl didn't want to work with him anymore so he's just badmouthing him any chance he gets while glorifying Izzy to death for obvious reasons.

On the first point I'd suggest the evidence suggests otherwise. GNR were screwing up big time, Geffen, Zutaut specifically, called in Niven to sort things out. He conceived LLAS, and suddenly their first release it out. Appetite got delivered under his watch, Jungle and the Ritz only happened due to his GW connections - he was also heavy in the concept of the Jungle video. Without him the Aerosmith tour doesn't happen which is pivotal for the band. Lies also comes out. UYI did take a long time I'll give you that, but during that time he did strategise to push the albums back and go out on tour to force Geffen to the re-negotiating table, which was a great commerical result for GNR. He left just shy of the UYI release (with incidently most of TSI in the can). Since then 30 years goes by and 1 album of original material with one original member. One thing Niven certianly had was he represented all 5 members - no 1 member got priority and he was no "yes man" to Axl. I certainly agree that once Axl got control implosion of the band was inevitable, but I don't believe Axl would have been able to get control if Niven was still there. TBH the only area I can fault Niven, is he didn't handle the Steven situation better - losing Steven was really the beginning of the implosion in my mind, the first domino, and I wonder if something could have been done differently.

Regarding the bitterness, there I totally agree with you. However for different reasons. I don't think Niven lives off GN'R, he talks just as much about GW and I've heard him talk about his involvement with the Pistols and early Motley a lot as well. I think he is proud of all the bands he was involved with. I think the reason he is bitter wrt GNR and particularly Axl is for monetary reasons. He signed away future royalties he was owed for a lump sum payout and this was because he didn't want to deal with Axl anymore. I think this was a serious mis-calcualtion as it was based off certified sales of albums that were much lower even at the time than reality. He probably collected a few mio in payout, even though he had done the work according to his contract that would have entitled him to 5-10x that much. I think he screwed up majorly in that regard and only realised what an error that was later and regretted it, leading to the bitterness. I'm sure it hurts for him as well if my assessment is correct in that he was so important to the success but has basically been written out of it.

• Like 3