Where does this period of inactivity from the band rank among other periods in the past?

So I'm a bit of a younger fan of the band. I wasn't even alive when they were in their prime so I missed all the good stuff. I got into Guns in 2012 (a simply terrific time for the band, I know :lol:), but didn't start lurking the forums until late 2015/early 2016.

Obviously we all know there have been several periods of inactivity (on a public level at least), from this band in the past (ie Wilderness Years, the time after 01/02 and before 06/07) etc. So for those who have been around, how does this pandemic-era of inactivity from the band rank among the others? Is it as bad or as difficult to deal with? Or was it worse before? I'm not looking to turn this into a bitchfest, but I'm just curious to hear how tolerance levels compare now in 2021 versus other times in the past. 

Edit: Inactivity of course meaning not just the lack of touring (which every act was affected by), but overall presence to the masses etc. 

Edited by GNRfanJen
  • Like 1

For me the worst period of inactivity was the time between the release of chidem (November 2008) and the time the band finally played their first show since then (December 2009). The fact that the album took so long to make and then they didn’t tour for it for over a year after it’s release was VERY irritating. At least now they have a publicly-accepted excuse in covid.

We know that they are working and bigger than ever, so I don't worry at this point, however I'd say 2003/06 is the worst period for the band post millennium. A lot of uncertainty with the band and the record itself, Axl went back into underground with very little word of what was happening other than what the members were saying at the time of their solo efforts, but was the usual; "this summer", "this fall" etc etc. 

7 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

So I'm a bit of a younger fan of the band. I wasn't even alive when they were in their prime so I missed all the good stuff. I got into Guns in 2012 (a simply terrific time for the band, I know :lol:), but didn't start lurking the forums until late 2015/early 2016.

Obviously we all know there have been several periods of inactivity (on a public level at least), from this band in the past (ie Wilderness Years, the time after 01/02 and before 06/07) etc. So for those who have been around, how does this pandemic-era of inactivity from the band rank among the others? Is it as bad or as difficult to deal with? Or was it worse before? I'm not looking to turn this into a bitchfest, but I'm just curious to hear how tolerance levels compare now in 2021 versus other times in the past. 

Edit: Inactivity of course meaning not just the lack of touring (which every act was affected by), but overall presence to the masses etc. 

Same here, became a hardcore fan in 2012 and started lurking here 2015/2016 😅

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Comparing with the previous downtimes, this is nothing really. Sure, we have the Covid excuse. And the fact is that the damn thing doesn’t prevent them from releasing videos etc. The one aspect in which this is worse is that this break is after a few years that kinda sucked. In 2003–2005, there was excitement (and probably also worries) as to what will happen. 2008 was just one year, and we had plenty to talk about post-release, didn’t we. And there were no forums before 2001, so I don’t even include that. 
But this time, not only are things taking long, but the band refuses to release any old shit or to communicate (in times of social media!), and their management pisses us off unprecedentedly. On the other hand, we know things are fine, don’t we? They’re friends, they have material which they’ve been working on, nobody’s leaving, and they’re taking their sweet time and waiting the whole thing out. 
So I’d say it’s ok in comparison with the past, but that doesn’t mean they don’t piss me off with not releasing anything at all. 

To me, this is the worst, ever. Not only have they become the most boring band in the world, the little bits and pieces they actually DO release all suck (selects, merch, "interviews", pictures). Then, on top of all that you got Team Brazil. They are so far removed from what they once were, it's just sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

To me, this is the worst, ever. Not only have they become the most boring band in the world, the little bits and pieces they actually DO release all suck (selects, merch, "interviews", pictures). Then, on top of all that you got Team Brazil. They are so far removed from what they once were, it's just sad.

Aye, I would agree with most of that, though I really have no view on Team Brazil as I've never seen or heard much about them (other than folk saying "fuck Fernando!"). The lack of material now really is just glaring though. GNR's peers who are still active, manage their fans a lot better (e.g. Metallica) and continue to try and avoid the nostalgia route which GNR have now actively embraced. Everything about this band now seems stale. It is a shame. Even if they do launch a 'comeback' next year, I think a lot of the damage is done. Axl looks and sounds terrible. Just compare him singing wise to Mick Jagger, Brian Johnson, Roger Daltrey, Steven Tyler etc. And then there's the whole dress sense with the ridiculous amount of bling, one single fingerless glove, and that god awful fucking fedora hat. I have no issue with people aging obviously, but that dress sense ain't helping ya pal!

There is fuck all dangerous about this band now. Other than the ticket prices.

GNR will tour oz later this year , as we have a good handle on the Covid situation. Will be interesting if the  band are required to take the jab before flying over. Or they do a 2 to 3 week quarantine. Which i doubt will be the bands approach.

Here in Australia to answer the OP, this period reminds me of 1990. In Australia there wasnt much information being fed to the music mags i used to collect. The band wernt playing live shows. The only information we were getting was from Geffen that the band were working on the followup to Appetite no release date was known. Even in early 91, there was no confirmed release dates. Geffen  were saying July for the release date, but that was just a half guess on their part. How GNR would release the Illusions, either 1 record or 2 was still undecided. It wasnt until we got to about August 91 the release dates and info on how the albums would be released would be known to the public. As a 15 year old in 1990, waiting on the illusion albums felt like an eternity.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, alfierose said:

It's not so much the inactivity that's the problem, or at least it's not the whole picture. The former era's had an air of mystery and intrigue. Even in the DJ/BBF nu guns era ghosts of former band members and long lasting feuds provided a fair bit to talk about and speculate over.

It feels like a case of be careful what you wish for. Most people here relished the idea of a reunion of sorts for years. Then we got what we wanted (mostly) and for a year, maybe two it was like Christmas. I genuinely have the fondest memories of the excitement here when the rumours started to ramp up, through to the surprise Troubadour show then the Vegas shows. It was the best time in the last decade to be a member of the forum and more so to be staff - despite all the work it caused behind the scenes. Then there was all the leaks which was a double whammy of things that fans desperately wanted.

Now though, five or so years on, we can only reflect that the best is likely behind us. There will probably be another tour soon enough and there might even be an album at some point which would definitely boost the current situation a bit but the intrigue and the essence of what drew people towards this (enigmatic but sometimes ridiculous) band is mostly gone. The reunion allowed us to pull back the curtain and finally take a peak following years of speculation. Now the high has worn off and the wizard is just a man fast approaching retirement!

Of course we can know all this and still enjoy the music, catch a show and enjoy it for what it is and keep everything crossed for something new winging our way but we can't go backwards in terms of what GNR was and what the fan community was in the last few decades.

While this is definitely well said, I wouldn’t forget about at least one thing. Not the fact that Axl has successfully returned vocal-wise several times in the past and that this break might push the band to finally put the nostalgia approach behind them; that’s not the main thing. The main thing is, we currently are in an unprecedented situation at least as far as forums go: we’re awaiting a unique piece of music where we’ll get to hear how the guys can work and sound together on the first new material since 1991. CD was about Axl’s solo endeavour with hired guns, NITL was about playing the greatest hits and telling people “we’re back”. But now, for the first time, we’ll actually have original GN’R music from the third millennium, from the 21st century. The sound, the chemistry, the song selection, the lyrics… everything. And I think that’s something unique to look forward to. 

Think about it – the last time we’ve heard anything new and original from the boys was five presidents ago… most of them having served two terms (with the exception of a certain stable genius). At the time when none of us had a computer, let alone a cell phone; when the internet – for all we knew – didn’t exist. When Kurt Cobain was rolling on stages, and Paula Abdul and Vanilla Ice were all over the radio. When Home Improvement, Roseanne, and Fresh Prince was the shit. When the notion of a black POTUS was laughable. Etc. 
I’m telling ya, we have plenty to look forward to! 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

While this is definitely well said, I wouldn’t forget about at least one thing. Not the fact that Axl has successfully returned vocal-wise several times in the past and that this break might push the band to finally put the nostalgia approach behind them; that’s not the main thing. The main thing is, we currently are in an unprecedented situation at least as far as forums go: we’re awaiting a unique piece of music where we’ll get to hear how the guys can work and sound together on the first new material since 1991. CD was about Axl’s solo endeavour with hired guns, NITL was about playing the greatest hits and telling people “we’re back”. But now, for the first time, we’ll actually have original GN’R music from the third millennium, from the 21st century. The sound, the chemistry, the song selection, the lyrics… everything. And I think that’s something unique to look forward to. 

Think about it – the last time we’ve heard anything new and original from the boys was five presidents ago… most of them having served two terms (with the exception of a certain stable genius). At the time when none of us had a computer, let alone a cell phone; when the internet – for all we knew – didn’t exist. When Kurt Cobain was rolling on stages, and Paula Abdul and Vanilla Ice were all over the radio. When Home Improvement, Roseanne, and Fresh Prince was the shit. When the notion of a black POTUS was laughable. Etc. 
I’m telling ya, we have plenty to look forward to! 

A lot of that depends on if you really believe we will ever hear any new material. It assumes something is coming, and we:re at the stage now where we have no evidence that it exists, bar a few vague and elusive comments. 

That's a massive issue in terms of how people feel. A shot of them in the studio, a few notes of something new, anything like that would help, but in the absence of anything concrete to suggest new material is even seriously being considered, it's tough for people to keep enthusiasm. 

If they roll out onto the stage in November and it's business as usual then I think we're done, personally. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

A lot of that depends on if you really believe we will ever hear any new material. It assumes something is coming, and we:re at the stage now where we have no evidence that it exists, bar a few vague and elusive comments. 

That's a massive issue in terms of how people feel. A shot of them in the studio, a few notes of something new, anything like that would help, but in the absence of anything concrete to suggest new material is even seriously being considered, it's tough for people to keep enthusiasm. 

If they roll out onto the stage in November and it's business as usual then I think we're done, personally. 

It definitely would help, and I’ve never shied away from criticizing them for doing fuck all in that PR regard (which we can’t even blame on that crappy management team of theirs). 
However, I’ve never doubted an album would be released. It makes sense – they can’t tour the greatest hits forever. Slash can’t be in it just for money, there’s a legacy not to ruin. And we’ve heard they are working on stuff. I know, it could be just a PR schtick, but for me, there’s just no logic behind being completely sceptical about it. What would they do then? Watch the crowds thin out? Even if it was just one record (I believe in more, I’m a believer, the truth is out there), but we’ll hear new music… some year! 

There must be something wrong, obviously.

Since they love to post snippets so much, why not post ONE 20sec piece of a brand new song, with a black and white picture of Axl and Slash in a recording environment?

That would make the entire fanbase happy and relaxed for weeks, for months even.

But no.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jamillos said:

It definitely would help, and I’ve never shied away from criticizing them for doing fuck all in that PR regard (which we can’t even blame on that crappy management team of theirs). 
However, I’ve never doubted an album would be released. It makes sense – they can’t tour the greatest hits forever. Slash can’t be in it just for money, there’s a legacy not to ruin. And we’ve heard they are working on stuff. I know, it could be just a PR schtick, but for me, there’s just no logic behind being completely sceptical about it. What would they do then? Watch the crowds thin out? Even if it was just one record (I believe in more, I’m a believer, the truth is out there), but we’ll hear new music… some year! 

Logic and GNR have never been good bedfellows! 

What was the logic in booking them back into stadiums after numerous Arena runs in the US for instance? I've still never figured why a band not selling out arenas suddenly move up to stadiums on the fourth or fifth run through territories! 

Nothing makes sense! 

I genuinely think the plan could be to just keep playing the same set forever, as crazy as that sounds. 

Edited by allwaystired

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Logic and GNR have never been good bedfellows! 

What was the logic in booking them back into stadiums after numerous Arena runs in the US for instance? I've still never figured why a band not selling out arenas suddenly move up to stadiums on the fourth or fifth run through territories! 

Nothing makes sense! 

I genuinely think the plan could be to just keep playing the same set forever, as crazy as that sounds. 

Yeah, you got a point there. It does seem like logic and the world of GN'R are mutually exclusive... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yup, I think you're no far off with this. Agree on last point. And that's what I think will happen. The band doesn't seem to 'get' its fanbase. 

20 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Even at the lowest points of the CD years (2013-14) there was still at least some indication that Axl wanted to release music. That has not been the case in the NITL era. After watching them squander all the momentum they had 5 years ago, this feels worse than any inactive periods in the CD era.

13 hours ago, El Guapo said:

This all sums up how I feel. All the excitement etc from 2016 is gone. They wasted that opportunity to put out a new album.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

It's not really different or inactice. When gnr aren't on the road, all lonks to the outside world go down... if anything this is the most engaged they've been, considering they released those selects... even if they weren't good, it's a nice gesture. 

Lots of bands haven't done live streams. It's not for everybody. I'd love to see Axl and co in a studio live streaming a few songs, but if they aren't into it, so be it. 

Who know's what activity is actually going on with them behind the scenes, probably buggsr all! But there could also be loads. We just can't know for sure.