Jump to content

If you could change ONE thing about the current state of GNR...


If you could have only ONE of these things...  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

On 3/19/2021 at 5:37 PM, Tom2112 said:

Absolutely not. Leave AFD 5 alone. That is best wished for but never happening like Sting Vs The Undertaker (for you Rastlin' fans). Would not live up the expectations like NITL didn't, so leave well enough alone.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. AFD5 are absolute legends and they’re all still in decent shape. Why the hell not do it for the fans? It doesn’t have to be a full blown reunion. A one off mini tour or live stream would satisfy most older fans and bring a sense of closure. 

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't care less about future touring, so Axl sounding like his prime again but still singing the same songs he's sung a billion times would still be boring. New music or GTFO.

You said it yourself. Because they are absolute legends. And it's not 1987 any more. And they're not 25 any more. It would be kind of interesting to see, but it could never live up to what people imag

New album, they are a band after all.

18 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. AFD5 are absolute legends and they’re all still in decent shape. Why the hell not do it for the fans? It doesn’t have to be a full blown reunion. A one off mini tour or live stream would satisfy most older fans and bring a sense of closure. 

You said it yourself. Because they are absolute legends. And it's not 1987 any more. And they're not 25 any more. It would be kind of interesting to see, but it could never live up to what people imagine it would be like. Things like this are better off in the past, in our memories. You just can't bring it back, no matter how much you'd like to. Have you read Stephen King's "Pet Sematary"? If not, read it. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted for the vault to be released because:

  • AFD line up: not really seeing happening, the band still not trust in Steven and Izzy is not that interested in being part of (apparently the loot is not divided evenly).
  • New album: Don't see it coming ever. Why? 'Cause the perfect window for that album is almost over. The pandemic is getting over with the vaccination and tours are about to return, so this past year was the perfect window to make and release the album and it would be a great hype for the returning of the tour.
  • Reworked set list with deep cuts: well, I honestly don't know how good will be for us, the fans, to hear songs like perfect crime, back off bitch, or move to the city with current Axl's Mickey Mouse voice. I'd rather stay with the old memories of those songs with Axl's great 90's voice. Although some deep cuts could be added with current Axl's voice that don't require rasp, like You Ain't the First, So Fine, Since I Don't Have You or Bad Obsession.
  • Release the vault: I guess we all the hardcore fans have been waiting for those unreleased tracks and pro shots of epic concerts with some rarities like the Prague 92 with the Don't Cry with the alternate lyrics. By how things are now, with the official release of the Houston 2016 concert in 4K with great sound and more realistic sounds (more ambient sound and not just the band isolated sound) I would be more than happy. Oh and the live album of the NITL.
  • New management: I don't see this affecting much with the current state. Remember, it all ends with Axl's last word anyway.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DTV88 said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. AFD5 are absolute legends and they’re all still in decent shape. Why the hell not do it for the fans? It doesn’t have to be a full blown reunion. A one off mini tour or live stream would satisfy most older fans and bring a sense of closure. 

The notion of "for the fans" ok. The fans want it now, once they hear it they will say "it was good, but...", and a few months later the goal posts will have moved and they'll want to see Axl perform a mini tour with Rapidfire.

The ONLY way it would work is IF Axl let go over the leadership for the entire project, and they reverted back to the roles they had back in the 80s... and that is just not on the cards. You can't put the bunny back in the hat. Axl has been running his own show for the 20+yrs now, he likes it this way... his way! there's no way you get the same results from that version of AFD as you would with a completely unified gang AFD line-up. 

Just because they are in halfway decent shape does not mean they should reunite. There's very few things I'm sure about, but this is one thing and it's all backed up with what happened on the NITL tour. Axl is not in decent shape vocally. IF he managed to get his voice together 'maybe' this wouldn't be a disaster, but in general he doesn't sing like he did back then, Slash doesn't even play like he did back then, it would be a waste of time. Like NITL, it should have happened in 2006 if there was any chance of it being unquestionably great. And for this to happen, it needs to be great, not good or quite good.

Of course it would please some. BUT, some people on here listen to the worst Axl performances and say they were faked (RIO, Bridge school) some say "It's just poor phone quality recording, not AXL"... you can't exactly call that rational thinking. I'll leave the door of this open a crack and say I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them reunite for 1 or 2 songs randomly at a current gnr show, like how Steven turned up.

Satisfaction and closure is not up to the band, that's up to the individual fan. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 10:25 PM, Padme said:

I voted for AFD line up. But  I would've voted "all of the above" if  I could. 

Ditto. All the choices were too good not to choose!!!  But yeah I would most likely vote for the AFD lineup too, since I missed it the first time around and discovered GNR during the Illusion years. Although I would take Matt/Gilby over what we have now in a HEARTBEAT...but that was not an option. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jamillos said:

You said it yourself. Because they are absolute legends. And it's not 1987 any more. And they're not 25 any more. It would be kind of interesting to see, but it could never live up to what people imagine it would be like. Things like this are better off in the past, in our memories. You just can't bring it back, no matter how much you'd like to. Have you read Stephen King's "Pet Sematary"? If not, read it. 

I love Stephen King and read all his books up through 2010 or so. And I agree with all your points about it not being what it was. But, nothing ever is “as it was” again. Someone recently posted on here about the Sex Pistols reunion on YouTube. I watched that and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.

My point is, life is too damn short. Enjoy everything you can while you can 🤷🏻‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamillos said:

You said it yourself. Because they are absolute legends. And it's not 1987 any more. And they're not 25 any more. It would be kind of interesting to see, but it could never live up to what people imagine it would be like. Things like this are better off in the past, in our memories. You just can't bring it back, no matter how much you'd like to. Have you read Stephen King's "Pet Sematary"? If not, read it. 

They would be a hell of a lot better than what we have now.. Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven would sound phenomenal!! Axl will sound like shit either way but having a band that actually plays the shit out of the songs would be awesome.. Hell it might even make Axl sound a little better. 

Anyway, that is my one thing... The lineup.. Boot Fortus, Frank and Melissa and get back any combination of Izzy, Gilby, Adler, Sorum or any drummer but Frank.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Seeing a bunch of 60-year-old multimillionaires trying to recapture AFD would be pathetic.

They already missed every opportunity to do it right... just leave it in the past.

Agreed! 😃😃 I'd also wager that none of the guys could handle being in a band with Adler again either! Which is a shame on the one hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sort of beginning to not care anymore. Never thought I would say that, but after all the excitement of Slash and Duff's return, nothing has manifested itself in the form of new music.

A person starts to look back at what could have been with this band, especially with it's incredible early success. If you are old enough to remember 1991, you remember the frenzy and anticipation of the Use Your Illusion records, and that GN'R were the undisputed biggest band in the world.

Perhaps it was wrong to think that things would echo that period of time with Slash and Duff back in the fold. I thought there would be an equal share between them and Axl. Maybe there is, but it's management that has slowed everything down to a snail's pace.

Either way, the band has lost all the momentum it had during the reunion tour.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I'm sort of beginning to not care anymore. Never thought I would say that, but after all the excitement of Slash and Duff's return, nothing has manifested itself in the form of new music.

A person starts to look back at what could have been with this band, especially with it's incredible early success. If you are old enough to remember 1991, you remember the frenzy and anticipation of the Use Your Illusion records, and that GN'R were the undisputed biggest band in the world.

Perhaps it was wrong to think that things would echo that period of time with Slash and Duff back in the fold. I thought there would be an equal share between them and Axl. Maybe there is, but it's management that has slowed everything down to a snail's pace.

Either way, the band has lost all the momentum it had during the reunion tour.

I think that's a pretty normal reaction.

I can't believe his much this band has driven people away in the last 3 years. 

What actually is there to care about now? Some live performances where the band look like they don't even really want to be on stage is about it. 

How could anyone remain interested, if they're being honest? The only thing that keeps people hanging on is the constant carrot dangling of new material that goes on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Seeing a bunch of 60-year-old multimillionaires trying to recapture AFD would be pathetic.

They already missed every opportunity to do it right... just leave it in the past.

Maybe but I don’t care, I still want to see it :shrugs:

I remember my grandparents going to see Sinatra in the 80s. He was way past his prime, they knew it, and they still had the time of their lives. Maybe I’m just getting old, but I would love to see them at least do a one off show. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OPEN QUESTION: If the Appetite For Destruction lineup agreed to get back together for a one-off show, do you think they would include Dizzy Reed in the line-up too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

OPEN QUESTION: If the Appetite For Destruction lineup agreed to get back together for a one-off show, do you think they would include Dizzy Reed in the line-up too?

100% would, if they did a show(s) they'd be playing Civil war so they'd have to keys. Bongos on everything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

OPEN QUESTION: If the Appetite For Destruction lineup agreed to get back together for a one-off show, do you think they would include Dizzy Reed in the line-up too?

I'd hope not. AFD 5 not 6,7 etc

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

100% would, if they did a show(s) they'd be playing Civil war so they'd have to keys. Bongos on everything else.

I agree. Though I think there would be keys on a lot more songs than that - Sweet Child O' Mine, Think About You, Patience, It's So Easy, Used To Love Her etc have all had keys parts added in the years after the original band split. I have no issue with that to be honest. Also, Adler played on the Illusions demos anyway so any gig featuring the original 5 (plus Dizzy) would in all likelihood include a set featuring songs from those albums. Totally hypothetical right enough. But I would not want to see 2 additional keyboardists! I seem to have a serious aversion to this! Hahahaha! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 7:06 PM, Tom2112 said:

 

Well of course some would have liked it, just like some don't like the current line up

 

Absolutely.  That's why when the question is 'what would you...' you can't satisfy all but say your opinion.

 

My opinion is that all replacements after Gilby were laughable.  Personality, style, in one word - fit.

Someone else will diasagree, yet  we should all get along and respect each other opinions...

My opinion, GNR as a band can't top Paris'92, Saskatoon '93 in any other formation.  That is the band I want to see, no make up, McDonald hats, emo boys...this is not KISS

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

I agree. Though I think there would be keys on a lot more songs than that - Sweet Child O' Mine, Think About You, Patience, It's So Easy, Used To Love Her etc have all had keys parts added in the years after the original band split. I have no issue with that to be honest. Also, Adler played on the Illusions demos anyway so any gig featuring the original 5 (plus Dizzy) would in all likelihood include a set featuring songs from those albums. Totally hypothetical right enough. But I would not want to see 2 additional keyboardists! I seem to have a serious aversion to this! Hahahaha! 

Yeah, I could happily take or leave the 2nd keyboard, It doesn't add a lot for me... although I like the BVs. But yeah I'd say if they were going to go down the road of a full on AFD/UYI set then Adler would play AFD and Frank would do the remainder. I just cannot see Adler playing Estranged, not that he couldn't but it's a bit of a different beast than what he's down on record. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, I could happily take or leave the 2nd keyboard, It doesn't add a lot for me... although I like the BVs. But yeah I'd say if they were going to go down the road of a full on AFD/UYI set then Adler would play AFD and Frank would do the remainder. I just cannot see Adler playing Estranged, not that he couldn't but it's a bit of a different beast than what he's down on record. 

Let's not pretend Frank plays Estranged or November Rain or others perfectly either...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the camp of not being remotely bothered about seeing the 'AFD 5' really. I missed it first time round, and that's the end of it. Congrats to those that did see them- I'm envious. Can't roll back the clock though. 

I'm also however not really interested in hearing things like SCOM and November Rain anymore, which I suppose I'm definitely in the minority about.

I think when you do something really great, that has it's place in time and history, it's best to move on and try something new, or pack up entirely. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Absolutely.  That's why when the question is 'what would you...' you can't satisfy all but say your opinion.

 

My opinion is that all replacements after Gilby were laughable.  Personality, style, in one word - fit.

Someone else will diasagree, yet  we should all get along and respect each other opinions...

My opinion, GNR as a band can't top Paris'92, Saskatoon '93 in any other formation.  That is the band I want to see, no make up, McDonald hats, emo boys...this is not KISS

Paris was a bit shaky, but Saskatoon was great. Of course when I think of GNR I think 91-93 that's my nostalgic golden period. That UYI band firing on all cylinders instrumentally would blow NITL off the stage! I also love Gilby, I'm not taking anything away from him... it's not a like this guy, so this guy has to be shit thing. 

I'm not arguing that you're wrong, I'm just offering my opinion on your post as how I view GNR. We can agree that you can't and won't please everyone. 

I will point out that GNR wore make up in the 80s "That is the band I want to see, no make up, McDonald hats, emo boys...this is not KISS". But I get what you're saying, it's not like I saw that for the first time and didn't think the same thing... but I eventually came to the conclusion that the music sounded good so even if the band looked like tits, I could enjoy it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting rid of the management( and I apologise for sullying the profession of management by calling team Brazil ) but I wouldn’t let fernando and his family look after my cat. The thread about things that have happened since 2008 and the release of Chinese democracy is depressing as fuck as a fan of this band who like others wants to be upbeat but they can’t because axl/ team Brazil(only constants since 2008) couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery without stupid levels of difficulty. 
 

I hate that a family from Brazil in part are making me not give a damn about a band who I became a huge fan of twenty years and helped me greatly. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, Tom2112 said:

Paris was a bit shaky, but Saskatoon was great. Of course when I think of GNR I think 91-93 that's my nostalgic golden period. That UYI band firing on all cylinders instrumentally would blow NITL off the stage! I also love Gilby, I'm not taking anything away from him... it's not a like this guy, so this guy has to be shit thing. 

I'm not arguing that you're wrong, I'm just offering my opinion on your post as how I view GNR. We can agree that you can't and won't please everyone. 

I will point out that GNR wore make up in the 80s "That is the band I want to see, no make up, McDonald hats, emo boys...this is not KISS". But I get what you're saying, it's not like I saw that for the first time and didn't think the same thing... but I eventually came to the conclusion that the music sounded good so even if the band looked like tits, I could enjoy it.

The other day, I decided to give this line up a fair chance, Went to ytb, opened up Rio 2017 and by the time YCBM was over - I was just ' I can't'.

I just cringed to how Axl sounds, how anti rock everything about Rich's stage presence is, how bad Frank plays, how little chemistry there is between Slash/Duff and everyone else between themselves (Rich sorta for himself, Frank too, Melissa needn't mention...).

I was once again watched Rio '91, Saskatoon '93, Chicago '92, Miami '91...They all had fun there, there was chemistry present, Slash/Duff/Gilby/Matt/Iz interacted with each other all the time, they sounded like the biggest band on the planet...This all sounds...fragile.  Not even 10% of what it sounded on the last Buenos Aires UYI show.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...