If you could change ONE thing about the current state of GNR...

If you could have only ONE of these things...  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

The other day, I decided to give this line up a fair chance, Went to ytb, opened up Rio 2017 and by the time YCBM was over - I was just ' I can't'.

I just cringed to how Axl sounds, how anti rock everything about Rich's stage presence is, how bad Frank plays, how little chemistry there is between Slash/Duff and everyone else between themselves (Rich sorta for himself, Frank too, Melissa needn't mention...).

I was once again watched Rio '91, Saskatoon '93, Chicago '92, Miami '91...They all had fun there, there was chemistry present, Slash/Duff/Gilby/Matt/Iz interacted with each other all the time, they sounded like the biggest band on the planet...This all sounds...fragile.  Not even 10% of what it sounded on the last Buenos Aires UYI show.

I know what you're saying, this line up doesn't do it for me at all if I'm honest. There have been shows here and there where they were cooking, but like I said in an other post the buck starts and stops with Axl. If Axl is killing it and not going through the motions that's going to light a fire under the other guys. 

Chemistry wise, well... GNR back in the day were a tight group, there is some chemistry on stage now but it's just different. I think the problem with today is that they are older and less aggressive, so the performances can't really match the intensity of 1987-1993... which is reasonable. Sometimes they get close, but even in those times there's still things that hold it back. 

17 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'll never defend them, but they are only "management" and they are just yesmen... they could suggest things all day, and Axl wouldn't do any of it if he didn't want to. "Management" has mishandled PR and over-stretched the band in terms of touring, they have also messed up the selects and Youtube in general... biggest gripe is fan relations which they have decided to pick out select fans who go along with their way of thinking, while the rest of the fans are wrote off as clueless, militant and haters. 

As for new music and why since 2008 GNR have done sweet fuck all outside of touring... Axl. The buck starts and stops with that guy.

Great post. Agree 100%

31 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I would change GNR's drug and alcohol abuse. Would want Steven to be healthy and still in GNR today.

I absolutely wouldn't. They absolutely would NOT have made AFD and Illusions if it wasn't for drug and alcohol abuse. 

I think they'd be the first to admit that too.

NB. I am not condoning alcohol or drug abuse, but it's a cast iron fact that both things played a huge part in making GNR what they were. Happy for them they're sober and have decent personal lives now of course. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

I would change this “one thing at a time” policy that Axl seems to have. Now we’re touring, cannot give you anything else. Now we’re releasing an old remaster. Now we’re touring again. Now we have a break, so let’s go with NITL Selects, here you are. 
Like, back in the 90s, they were touring AND releasing shit, goddamn it! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I absolutely wouldn't. They absolutely would NOT have made AFD and Illusions if it wasn't for drug and alcohol abuse. 

I think they'd be the first to admit that too.

NB. I am not condoning alcohol or drug abuse, but it's a cast iron fact that both things played a huge part in making GNR what they were. Happy for them they're sober and have decent personal lives now of course. 

Agreed, seeing as they couldnt function without being altered, but they Should get back on it, that might be the Only way to get them inspired again.

Same of you are so blind, that you need to take off the rose coloured sunglasses. 

Any attempt to force a group of people together, who for their own personal reasons, see no reason to, or have moved on in life, would not be beneficial for all involved. 

Some of you live in a fantasy world and believe past members would return to the past and be the same people as they were in their 20's in a past century. 

Time would have allowed this to occur naturally. Three people, have put the past behind them and are clearly different people and have put their issues to bed, have and are moving on in life. 

For what ever reason, some past members and 3 current members have not been able to work out their differences. 

Thats there business. 

The fact some fans believe they can control or have a say in the matter or blame the bands management, shows the fantasy world they have created for themselves. 

In normal life via, family, marriage, relationships or work, people can no longer remain in a partnership or environment and make a personal decision to partways and move on in life.. 

Often the word toxic is used to describe an unhealthy relationship or environment.

Its very possible, that all involved, personally believe, placing themselves in that position would not be beneficial to them as individuals. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 1

• Axl sounding like 87-93 again
    This is initially tempting, but if they'd still play with the same disinterest it'd also be pointless. And even then I've seen this cashgrab before, so would I really go see it again while I could see other artists doing new things? On top of that there's still nothing new, no decent communication and Team Leech. So no. Pass.  

• New album
    This also seems initially tempting, but what would that album be? If it's just re-recordings of 1998-2004 material I don't think I'd be that interested. That's just some re-interpreted stuff written by other people and if history is anything to go by that would get worse rather than better. If it's entirely new material that might be interesting. But we don't have that guarantee. And even if we did, I'm not sure I'd have faith in it (especially Axl) sounding good. So no, pass. 

• AFD Lineup
    Honestly what's the point? It'd be the same cashgrab with a few different people who don't really want to be there either and Axl would still sound bad.  

• Reworked setlist with more deep cuts
    Absolutely don't care. What's the point in watching them butcher different classics? 

• New (and professional) management
    I'd want this even if it's just to be rid of Team Leech. Porper management could (and should) result in a lot of other things on this list. Vault releases, new releases, decent communication. But in the end it couldn't do one other essential thing - make Axl sound good. Now, if we'd be guaranteed vault releases (both 87-93 and 98-04) I'd be fine with whatever the fuck else happens and just not go see them live. But that guarantee isn't there. After all, many managers have failed with GnR before. 

• All the stuff from the vault being released (from all eras)
    And there we are, the absolute best option on the list. Pull the plug from the cashgrab tour, I'm fine with that. Or not, whatever. I'm not going to see them anyway. Just give me awesome 87-93 live material and everything there is from the 98-04 studio sessions. That's definitely what I'd want most out of this band and when I have it I can pretty much be done with whatever the hell they're doing in the present. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, username said:
  •  
     New album
  • This also seems initially tempting, but what would that album be? If it's just re-recordings of 1998-2004 material I don't think I'd be that interested. That's just some re-interpreted stuff written by other people and if history is anything to go by that would get worse rather than better. If it's entirely new material that might be interesting. But we don't have that guarantee. And even if we did, I'm not sure I'd have faith in it (especially Axl) sounding good. So no, pass. 

but you've never heard it so it's entirely new material to you. We have nothing so I don't really understand this position of not being interested just cause it's not fresh. (most of Chinese wasn't new to most of us cause of the leaks) Especially when it seems that Axl still believes in the unreleased material just going by what he said in the China Exchange interview.

feels like the end of Gn'R as a creative entity should be with a Guns album from a lineup that includes Slash and Duff, not with Chinese from 2008. Axl doesn't do disposable.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Same of you are so blind, that you need to take off the rose coloured sunglasses. 

Any attempt to force a group of people together, who for their own personal reasons, see no reason to, or have moved on in life, would not be beneficial for all involved. 

Some of you live in a fantasy world and believe past members would return to the past and be the same people as they were in their 20's in a past century. 

Time would have allowed this to occur naturally. Three people, have put the past behind them and are clearly different people and have put their issues to bed, have and are moving on in life. 

For what ever reason, some past members and 3 current members have not been able to work out their differences. 

Thats there business. 

The fact some fans believe they can control or have a say in the matter or blame the bands management, shows the fantasy world they have created for themselves. 

In normal life via, family, marriage, relationships or work, people can no longer remain in a partnership or environment and make a personal decision to partways and move on in life.. 

Often the word toxic is used to describe an unhealthy relationship or environment.

Its very possible, that all involved, personally believe, placing themselves in that position would not be beneficial to them as individuals.

I think fans are very, very aware they can't control or have any say at all in the way GNR operate!

Essentially you're saying the band should sod off and split up as they're incapable of doing anything. A lot of people don't agree with that- the thing that frustrates fans is the lost potential. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Thats there business. 

It's not that deep 😂 It's just a random discussion when there's not much else to discuss at the moment. I think about, GN'R once in a blue moon, I'm actually going to survive if they never release anything again cause in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

but you've never heard it so it's entirely new material to you. We have nothing so I don't really understand this position of not being interested just cause it's not fresh. (most of Chinese wasn't new to most of us cause of the leaks) Especially when it seems that Axl still believes in the unreleased material just going by what he said in the China Exchange interview.

feels like the end of Gn'R as a creative entity should be with a Guns album from a lineup that includes Slash and Duff, not with Chinese from 2008. Axl doesn't do disposable.

Ohhhh, wait, I get it. You're right! *Ahem* He's right Team Brazil! We don't have The Village Sessions. We would never download such a vile and illegal thing! Come to think of it, what are The Village Sessions"? Because I for one have never heard of them! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, username said:

Ohhhh, wait, I get it. You're right! *Ahem* He's right Team Brazil! We don't have The Village Sessions. We would never download such a vile and illegal thing! Come to think of it, what are The Village Sessions"? Because I for one have never heard of them! 

heh chill man, we're just talking here. no vocals on tunes that are supposed to be Gn'R so it's mostly instrumental and 4-5 previously unheard and unfinished tracks are not comparable to an official release of a full album and we don't even know which tunes Axl potentially wants to use.

I don't believe the 2019 leaks reflect all the unreleased material from the Chinese era and once Slash and Duff are added to it maybe it will be very different to the leaks,.

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

heh chill man, we're just talking here. no vocals on tunes that are supposed to be Gn'R so it's mostly instrumental and 4-5 previously unheard and unfinished tracks are not comparable to an official release of a full album and we don't even know which tunes Axl potentially wants to use.

I don't believe the 2019 leaks reflect all the unreleased material from the Chinese era and once Slash and Duff are added to it maybe it will be very different to the leaks,.

I was just messing around. ;) But honestly though, the only thing we know they tried to play is hardschool. I seriously doubt they'd improve on that. If they put something out and 75% are stuff we've heard (even just as instrumentals) I'd probably just want to hear the originals and dislike that they took the lazy way out. CD already had material re-written and re-interpreted and I think that didn't help any of it at all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Axl sounding like 87-93 era for sure. It's the only thing that really bugs me about GN'R cause I'm sure that they'll release new stuff sooner or later. Not sure about the AFD line-up, but I like to think that they'll regroup. I think that Axl's voice can get better but there's no way he'll ever sound like he sounded back in the day.

I'd change the ownership of the "GNR" name to being : 20% Izzy, Adler, Slash, Duff, Axl each and need 61% to make decisions.

You've got to get control away from crazy/anything for a $.

You'd see interesting things start to happen with the band then.

On 4/11/2021 at 11:22 AM, Euchre said:

I'd change the ownership of the "GNR" name to being : 20% Izzy, Adler, Slash, Duff, Axl each and need 61% to make decisions.

You've got to get control away from crazy/anything for a $.

You'd see interesting things start to happen with the band then.

Don't do anything crazy? You've just advocated giving Steven Adler a control of the name! Haha!

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Don't do anything crazy? You've just advocated giving Steven Adler a control of the name! Haha!

Well the way I designed the above was that not even 3 members have control. Essentially 4 to approve a move and any 2 can veto. That way the outcome isn't dependent on any single member (who may or may not have some mental health or control issues going on) or even 3 members, who say were money hungry for instance. Think of it as a power sharing agreement where musical integrity and credibility are the main determinant in any steps forward.

ETA just on the Adler point, in the last 30 years, despite a debilitating drug addiction for much of the time and the added burden of being cut from the biggest band in the world at their peak - Adler has released 1 album, 4 EP's, another EPs worth of material across the Vain albums and guest appearances with Slash and Izzy - all of which was pretty great. So yeah if it came down to a choice of Adler being in control for the last 30 years vs what has happened, I know which way I'd jump !!

Edited by Euchre

11 hours ago, Euchre said:

Well the way I designed the above was that not even 3 members have control. Essentially 4 to approve a move and 

ETA just on the Adler point, in the last 30 years, despite a debilitating drug addiction for much of the time and the added burden of being cut from the biggest band in the world at their peak - Adler has released 1 album, 4 EP's, another EPs worth of material across the Vain albums and guest appearances with Slash and Izzy - all of which was pretty great. So yeah if it came down to a choice of Adler being in control for the last 30 years vs what has happened, I know which way I'd jump !!

As much as I like Steven's drumming, he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box! Seems to be very emotive driven. But speaks volumes that he wasn't involved more in the reunion. It's definitely not due to his lack of chops.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, kiwiguns said:

Thats there business. 

While I actually agree with this, I still maintain that if I could change one thing, it would be – apart from Axl’s voice, which is the main thing – the management. Because if the main guy (manager) didn’t have an unofficial status of “Axl’s family”, he would be more unbiased/independent, and there’d be a chance that Slash and Duff would have a larger influence in things like PR and issuing old videos etc. A real manager would then have a bigger leverage, and the results would follow. The way it is now, there are just complete sycophants, who are not gonna compromise their lifetime welfare by rocking the boat unnecessarily as long as the dough keeps coming; therefore, we got squat. 

Edited by jamillos

On 3/19/2021 at 7:49 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

What if an Appetite reunion was presented as a cinematic wrestling match?

As AEW's Excalibur would say; "Got to give the people what they want."

If we're going there, I want Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse "the body" Ventura doing the play by play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1