Seriously, can we get some news?

20 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Honestly if this band was someone in an emergency dept of a hospital, the time of death would have been called at this stage.  Them blaming the pandemic for the lack of any new music was such a bush league excuse when you consider that other music artists, including some bands who’d be their contemporaries would well able to least communicate with their fans like a normal band would, and in some cases release music in a pandemic. I’m probably repeating myself but I want to support this band, I really really do but Jesus H Christ do they make that hard to keep doing.  And in an age where communication is easier than ever and the narrative could be controlled, they still seem unwilling or incapable(probably a bit of both) of doing even the basics. 

The thing is, fans moan about the lack of communication, but have you ever considered the reason we don't get any news or updates from the GNR camp is because there's nothing to tell. In other words, they've done nothing as a band outside of the live shows. No recording done with this lineup other than reworking of SOYL. Would any of you really be surprised if that turned out to be the case? I know I wouldn't.

I always hope I'm wrong, but occams razor suggests I'm not.

Edited by Towelie

45 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You know what the saddest part of all this is (at least for me)? 

I can't even be bothered to get mad anymore. 

I used to be SO passionate about GN'R, their music and their future. This "band" has beaten me down so much to the point where I truly don't care anymore. I expect absolutely nothing of worth from them, so I'm never disappointed. 

Even if they dropped a surprise album tomorrow, I'd just listen to it when I have a chance. That's a stark contrast to where I was years ago where I'd jump through any hoop necessary to hear new GN'R music as soon as humanly possible. 

I think GN'R might be the single biggest example of wasted potential in the history of music and that's saying a LOT. In addition to that, I don't believe I can think of another band that's shit on their fans more than GN'R. 

Those two things coupled together leave me where I'm at today. Like I said, I'm not even mad about it anymore. If anything, I'm just sad that I wasted so much time waiting for then to live up to their potential. 

you're speaking my mind.

• Sad 1

Not much to promote right now, but I was thinking of Brian Johnson doing his "on the road" show where he's doing interviews with other famous musicians and it's really good. He recently had bi names like Robert Plant, Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich and even the great Dolly Parton, totallly well done and relaxed interivews off the beaten media track, something like that would be nice with Axl, especially given the connection with Axl helping out AC/DC.

I'm sure Brian would be up for it in no time, it's just one phone call away. But if Axl doesn't feel like leaving the house there's not much anyone can do.

• Like 2

2020/2021 have been the lowest points of my fandom of this band ever. 

Covid plays little to no part in that I don't think, as it hasn't impacted on my being a fan of other acts and bands in anything other than a positive way (i.e. giving me more time to appreciate their music and their releases). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jamillos said:

Speaking from Europe in March 2021, I couldn’t give a shit about gig dates for now, scheduled or not. What I would appreciate a lot, though, is any info regarding the band and its activity. Maybe someone relevant will read this, probably not. 
Look, we understand the bad experience with stuff leaking before it was due, and the consequential reluctance to give anything away. But what you’ve been doing is at the opposite extreme. Keeping everything under the lid to this extent is just lame, and god knows GN’R fans have been patient like no one else, and they deserve much better. At least releasing some old shows or even current videos from studio would give us material to talk about for months and months on. These social media 20-second snippets from NITL – as if a DVD was imminent after 5 years or something – can seriously suck my dick. Really, guys, I have never heard of a professional band with such an unprofessional, frustrating, and downright miserable PR policy. Just read the room already. Thank you. 

To be fair... and I don't like it either, but! They have saud countless times that they don't want to share any information and that they are trying to have the mystique of yesteryear. It's kinda a dinosaur approach, but it is the approach they are taking no matter how much we voice our displeasure. Look at the comments sections on social media every 2nd one is "new music, when & where" they are fully aware of this and have decided the best course of action is absolute silence. I think they think it's building hype, but it's actually animosity... genius management.

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

To be fair... and I don't like it either, but! They have saud countless times that they don't want to share any information and that they are trying to have the mystique of yesteryear. It's kinda a dinosaur approach, but it is the approach they are taking no matter how much we voice our displeasure. Look at the comments sections on social media every 2nd one is "new music, when & where" they are fully aware of this and have decided the best course of action is absolute silence. I think they think it's building hype, but it's actually animosity... genius management.

Right, but it's not just about the new music. Take all the time you want, but give us some other material and keep us up to date at least at some bare minimum. Like I said, just the amount of 90s videos we could have had by now... Etc.

17 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Right, but it's not just about the new music. Take all the time you want, but give us some other material and keep us up to date at least at some bare minimum. Like I said, just the amount of 90s videos we could have had by now... Etc.

But they don't want to keep us up to date. 

There's no reason why they can't have historic releases on-going. Like they could even release just a few songs from pro shots like saskatoon where there's clearly pro shot material. I understand they 'wanted' to promote the current line up with the first round of selects... that didn't pan out, but I think there's some good will in the type of 90s pro shots that will A) appease us nut-jobs B) make some people forget the previous crap. 

even after sooooo many years down the line there are still some people who don't understand that this band is inactive if there is no news.

nobody is touring for over a year, very few are in the studio and Axl sure as hell is not one of them.

what news are you expecting? Axl sitting on his porch watching sun set as he did yesterday and the day before and the day before...

There is a reason why Ax/Slah/Duff didn't release original music since 1991, if you didn't understand by now, do so....

there is no chemistry in this band that used to be there 1986 to UYIs, and they will not release stuff that is below that norm. Period.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Anju said:

At this point GNR is a brand, rather than a band... Just putting their name on some crap-merch that has nothing to do with the fact that they used to be the greatest rock band in the world..... I mean seriously, what's next? Makeup products series with GNR logo? Rugs? This is ridiculous. 

Shhhhsh dont give team brazil ideas

11 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Not much to promote right now, but I was thinking of Brian Johnson doing his "on the road" show where he's doing interviews with other famous musicians and it's really good. He recently had bi names like Robert Plant, Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich and even the great Dolly Parton, totallly well done and relaxed interivews off the beaten media track, something like that would be nice with Axl, especially given the connection with Axl helping out AC/DC.

I'm sure Brian would be up for it in no time, it's just one phone call away. But if Axl doesn't feel like leaving the house there's not much anyone can do.

Not sure if it would work with Axl. He had burnt alot of bridges over the years then distanced himself from everyone. 

Also yes the whole thing with Axl being locked up in that house with team brazil 99 percent of the time.

If anything the show would work with Slash or Duff who kept out there amongst the music folk and are generally well liked amongst their peers.

• Like 3

Chillax everybody. Breathe in and out, breathe in... and let it go. Close your eyes and imagine a nice ocean view with a sunset. What's that over there in the horizon? Looks like... it looks like a new album. Relax. Breathe. You can almost see it there but oh look. There it goes, going, going... aaaaand now it's gone beyond the horizon. Let it go. Just breathe in... and out. You can feel a nice warm wind blowing in your hair... the sun is going down. You feel relaxed and content. It's all good. Breathe. Peace comes over you. There is nothing to hold on to, just be in this moment. Feel it. Breathe. And let go... namaste.

• Haha 2

I think that Axl doesn't want to give updates so there are mostly no real updates. Maybe he prefers the risk level to be zero, there is no way anyone could say he was promised an album cause he doesn't really talk about releasing new material and when he does he remembers to say that soon is still not the word or he talks about it in general (would love to release new music) and kinda leaves it at that.

I think it doesn't mean nothing is coming in the future, if there comes a time where Axl actually wants to release new music, we'll know about it then or shortly before release. This is why even Slash said "if it happens, it happens". I think that was a very honest reply cause maybe Axl doesn't really work with a deadline so no one knows for sure.

Edited by Rovim

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

You know what the saddest part of all this is (at least for me)? 

I can't even be bothered to get mad anymore. 

I used to be SO passionate about GN'R, their music and their future. This "band" has beaten me down so much to the point where I truly don't care anymore. I expect absolutely nothing of worth from them, so I'm never disappointed. 

Even if they dropped a surprise album tomorrow, I'd just listen to it when I have a chance. That's a stark contrast to where I was years ago where I'd jump through any hoop necessary to hear new GN'R music as soon as humanly possible. 

I think GN'R might be the single biggest example of wasted potential in the history of music and that's saying a LOT. In addition to that, I don't believe I can think of another band that's shit on their fans more than GN'R. 

Those two things coupled together leave me where I'm at today. Like I said, I'm not even mad about it anymore. If anything, I'm just sad that I wasted so much time waiting for then to live up to their potential. 

I can relate so much to this post, like I was for so long able to let a ton of stuff slide over the years, especially from the reunion to 2018.  I was willing to wait a bit and let the band get some stuff going on with the newly reformed lineup because hey, the buzz of having Slash and Duff back in the band was carrying me through it all

But then longer and longer time passes it seemed clear that things on the creative end were the same as the 2009-2015 era - excuses, silence, and even worse than before because now we have even more meaningless products with the GNR branding coming out for a quick buck and "Selects" videos with sub par mixing and performance choices

I barely even listen to GNR any more, just once in a while, due to this.  Like, hell Prince has released more material these last 3 years than GNR has in literally 25 years, and Prince has been dead since 2016 lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

"I'll check the internet, y'know, just in case there's news...."

Been saying that since I discovered GNR in 2000 :lol: Out of the ~7665 days I've been here we've probably had official news on less than 50 of those days lol.

No expectations from this band. Hope all the guys are happy and healthy, and will keep my fingers crossed that one day we get something that kicks ass (new record, izzy on tour, lengthy interview with axl, axl or izzys autobiography etc)

Maybe the forum should try writing another open letter to Axl? :rofl-lol: 50th times a charm

5 hours ago, vloors said:

Not sure if it would work with Axl. He had burnt alot of bridges over the years then distanced himself from everyone. 

Also yes the whole thing with Axl being locked up in that house with team brazil 99 percent of the time.

If anything the show would work with Slash or Duff who kept out there amongst the music folk and are generally well liked amongst their peers.

You're right, Axl isn't really the sweetheart in the public eye but the way Brian conducts these interviews is very different and it's not about him and all about his guests, so who knows? As for burning bridges, I believe AC/DC and also Brian might have their opinion of Axl based on actually knowing him and having worked with him and Axl seemed very respectful towards Brian when he was filling in for him. If there's any chance we might ever get that one really cool Axl interview it's right there now with Brian Johnson.

What I like about his show is he tavels to peoples comfort zones and just lets them be, generally about touring and looking back, but they can basically talk or not talk whatever they want and he's not giving anyone any crap there. Slash would just be Slash and Duff would be Duff, but If I ever wanted Axl on a show it is this one. If only to hear Brian call him "me son". ;) But yeah, probably not gonna happen.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 2