Top hundred rock bands as voted by the public UK

40 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Queen won with 76% of the votes

I'm surprised GNR did well enough to come 2nd in the UK. They're easily in the top 10 of rock bands but it's surprising they beat some of the other bands.

I wonder if part of it is a generation shift towards Gen X as the middle age people who vote in this kind of poll plus the reunion? Ten or twenty years ago I don't see them beating The Stones.

Obviously I'd vote for GNR but like everyone else here I'm already a biased sample. :lol:

8 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Zeppelin should have won 

Yeah. I know everyone's opinion is different but in my view Zep from Zep 1 through to Houses of the Holy were untouchable - they had the songs, the technical / musical ability and the stage presence.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I know Led Zep are great and all that, but have you guys ever heard Made in Japan by Deep Purple? Now that is some music. 

I love Zep too but Deep Purple have so much more great music. If it was with Ian Gillan or with Coverdale and Hughes doesn't matter. They did great until Ritchie Blackmore left (Mark III)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I love Zep too but Deep Purple have so much more great music. If it was with Ian Gillan or with Coverdale and Hughes doesn't matter. They did great until Ritchie Blackmore left (Mark III)

To me, it's always been the real deal with Gillan only, same as Sabbath with Ozzy and Uriah Heep with Byron, but to each their own, and otherwise I agree. 

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Steve Morse era is great too. Purpendicular is an excellent album.

Between Jan of 1967 and April 1971 The Doors released SIX studio albums and a killer live album. And their last album was as good as the first. 

Between Feb 1970 and Sept 78 Black Sabbath released the EIGHT Ozzy Albums. 

Iron Maiden 16 albums, Motorhead 22 albums, AC DC 17 albums, Metallica 10 albums, The Stones 30 albums..... etc etc etc. Basically everyone on the list has released more albums than GNR. 

Once there was this gnr band, rolling on the street, time went by (lotta fucking time) and it became a joke. 

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

To me, it's always been the real deal with Gillan only, same as Sabbath with Ozzy and Uriah Heep with Byron, but to each their own, and otherwise I agree. 

If I had to choose one era only the Gillan era would have been my choice as well but I'm glad I don’t have to.

Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath with Dio may be a bit short but it's an awesome record without filler. It just can't be ignored even by Ozzy fans ;)

• Like 1

As a Denver Broncos fan- I can relate to a blow out loss in the Finals (see late 80s & ‘13)- but at least we got there! Lol.

FWIW- two awesome finalists (Mercury/May best rock duo IMHO- and Axl/Slash on that list too)- but perhaps a little “recency bias” there between the Queen film a few years back, and NITL.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Yeah. I know everyone's opinion is different but in my view Zep from Zep 1 through to Houses of the Holy were untouchable - they had the songs, the technical / musical ability and the stage presence.

Zeppelin truly are a remarkable band. I'm a huge fan of Physical Graffiti though. The sheer abundance of material. There's someting about double albums for me. The Wall (Floyd), The Fragile (NIN), Grafitti (Zep), White Album (Beatles) UYI 1&2 (not technically a double album but still). 

The album sales of Led Zeppelin in USA are just out of this world. I don't think there's another band with such consistently high sales. Not even The Beatles can compete.

As far as Queen goes I'd have a hard time choosing between Queen and Led Zeppelin. I'd rank both bands very near the top. It's surprising to me that someone wouldn't like Queen. They're so versatile and consistent, they go from pop to rock to disco, they're flamboyant, innovative, they wrote rock anthems. The versalitiy of Queen's discography is unmatched.

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

Gillan is the best fit for Deep Purple but you gotta love Burn, Might Just Take Your Life, You You Keep On Moving and stuff like that. Coverdale was pretty good imo. I agree about Sabbath although I own Heaven & Hell too. Agree about David Byron too.

• Like 1

For anyone that doesn't bow at the alter of Queen... you are wrong😄 Queen have so many different styles and they pull them all off still sounding like Queen. Amazing. 

Now way GNR should be ahead of the majority of those bands - Metallica (better than GNR on every front) Van Halen (more influence, more material), Fleetwood mac (need I say anything?), The eagles (again, WAY more hits and way more material). I Love GNR and they are still somehow top 2 alongside Metallica, but i don't trust any poll like this. I guess it does underline how despite it all they are still incredibly popular and have a broad age group of fans.

14 hours ago, alfierose said:

I'm surprised GNR did well enough to come 2nd in the UK. They're easily in the top 10 of rock bands but it's surprising they beat some of the other bands.

I wonder if part of it is a generation shift towards Gen X as the middle age people who vote in this kind of poll plus the reunion? Ten or twenty years ago I don't see them beating The Stones.

Obviously I'd vote for GNR but like everyone else here I'm already a biased sample. :lol:

It's all down to Slash being back, had this been a vote in 2011 they'd have been out much earlier. Remember they were winning worst band, villain of the year ten years ago... bit of a change of fate to now be the 2nd best classic rock band.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ratam said:

I think that the Queen fame to revive most the last 2 years, due Queen-Freddie Biopic.

Also they were getting great fan/critics reviews from the tours before the movie. They worked hard to up the brand. I suppose you could say gnr worked hard in that they played a lot of shows and showed up on time, still not quote the same thing though considering Queen sounded a million times tighter and were just as consisten on the first day as they were on the last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Also they were getting great fan/critics reviews from the tours before the movie. They worked hard to up the brand. I suppose you could say gnr worked hard in that they played a lot of shows and showed up on time, still not quote the same thing though considering Queen sounded a million times tighter and were just as consisten on the first day as they were on the last.

It you said about the Queen hard working is true, but same you would says about many bands of this list. Nonetheless the Queen Biopic was an enormous help . Generally the outcome about it's contests are enough random too. I have recognition about Queen like band, despite isn't "my thing".