5 Years of reunion

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

What really hits me is what's happened in the last five years. People have gone from massive excitement to absolute indifference in that space of time. 

That's genuinely sad when you think about it. To go from people DESPERATE to see them play live to not even interested when they visit their city is awful. I really hate that that has happened, when there was absolutely no need for it to be the case.  

That's the main take away of the last five years for me. 

I seriously contemplated travelling from the UK to Vegas to see the opening night in 2016.

Fast forward to 2020, when they announced London dates in my home country I didn't even consider buying a ticket.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I seriously contemplated travelling from the UK to Vegas to see the opening night in 2016.

Fast forward to 2020, when they announced London dates in my home country I didn't even consider buying a ticket. 

Exactly the same here, on both counts. 

I'm definitely sad about it too, as I'd love to feel differently, especially with the world as it is right now. It would be impossible to feel the same level of enthusiasm and excitement I suppose.....but they've really hammered this thing into the ground. 

It wouldn't be too hard to get the excitement back, but I'm not sure they're willing to do what it takes as it stands. We'll see. November will tell. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Can't help thinking that we would be better off if Slash and Duff hadn't joined Guns N' Roses again, at least in terms of new music. 

I don't reckon we would. I think a version of GNR with two different guitarists and probably a different bassist would be touring theatre type venues. Probably doing something like playing AFD in full as a marketing angle. 

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't reckon we would. I think a version of GNR with two different guitarists and probably a different bassist would be touring theatre type venues. Probably doing something like playing AFD in full as a marketing angle. 

Maybe. So hard to say. I feel that we might be in the situation we were before when the lineup changed which resulted in years of Axl trying to blend and merge contributions from new players on old material. It happened so many times with CD (and its unreleased material) before. I think it might be happening again. If it hadn't happened, if Slash and Duff hadn't rejoined, there was a possibility Axl would have released CD2 with Dj and Bumble's contributions. But yeah, what could have happened could just have been yet another touring lineup. But wait, isn't that what we got? Maybe the next tour they will play AFD in full. Nostalgia overkill. 

33 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Maybe. So hard to say. I feel that we might be in the situation we were before when the lineup changed which resulted in years of Axl trying to blend and merge contributions from new players on old material. It happened so many times with CD (and its unreleased material) before. I think it might be happening again. If it hadn't happened, if Slash and Duff hadn't rejoined, there was a possibility Axl would have released CD2 with Dj and Bumble's contributions. But yeah, what could have happened could just have been yet another touring lineup. But wait, isn't that what we got? Maybe the next tour they will play AFD in full. Nostalgia overkill. 

Yeah all true. Who knows what would have happened? Perhaps the lack of interest in seeing that version of the band would have forced them to do something different? I feel like there's no interest in new material either way really. If there was it would have happened years ago. 

I reckon AFD 'in full' tour is highly likely at some point, but at the moment it seems nothing will budge the NITL setlist! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The pandemic isn't the reason we don't have a new GN'R. 

The pandemic, along with Slash, Robin, Duff, Tommy, Bucket, Rolling Stone or Spin magazine, Azoff, Merck, on and on and on and on....none of these or things are the reason we don't have a GN'R album. 

There's one dude who is to blame though. He's always been the problem and he'll always be the problem. 

I find the idea that an album is sitting on a shelf just waiting for a tour to come along one of the more surreal things people think, but at least there's a time stamp on it. When they start touring again (probably November) and it doesn't arrive that line of thinking is done and dusted. Although I expect fully that the ball will be kicked down the road and it'll become 'they need a full world tour'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

The pandemic isn't the reason we don't have a new GN'R. 

The pandemic, along with Slash, Robin, Duff, Tommy, Bucket, Rolling Stone or Spin magazine, Azoff, Merck, on and on and on and on....none of these or things are the reason we don't have a GN'R album. 

There's one dude who is to blame though. He's always been the problem and he'll always be the problem. 

Bang on. And no worldly wise management team behind them means anything beyond touring and (mostly) shitty merch is a no go. Part of me still thinks we’d still be waiting for Chinese were it not for Irving and Azoff

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 1

Ax has, or has had, the habit of spending a lot of his own money on the band so that he may accomplish nothing with it.

No-one can argue, second-guess or push him to do fuck all. He owns the name, he funds the operation out-of-pocket if needs be.

No-one else is entrusted with real political power in the outfit. Things cannot be 'done' with any certainty in his absence.

And he can't be arsed to release new music, probably because the imagined reception of the punters throws him into anxiety, depression, and/or anger. People around him may breach the topic once a year, before backing down again.

And the train keeps a-rolling...

To be fair and to balance things out, let's not forget it was Axl who said "we're ready for mixing" in as early as 2000, and Ezrin basically told him to shove it. I imagine he got butt hurt, and that's where the delay madness started. 

Just to be fair. 

2 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

The first two years were cool, then it turned into the same old same old same old from Axl and Fernando.

Slash should have asked for a pay rise by now.

I don't think that he takes GN'R to serious now. SMKC is still his main gig. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, RussTCB said:

You'll have to find someone else to take that bet. My GN'R betting days are over lol

I don't know. I think you could pretty comfortably bet on Axl sounding like shit at the first show back or the band being a continued disappointment.

• Haha 1

I'm glad that they patched things up. I remember Slash doing interviews for VR and being asked "When are GN'R reuniting?" and I don't recollect him saying "never" (though I could have missed that) but he said "VR is what I'm focusing on now". Sadly I think he must have known that Scott's days in the band were numbered. So perhaps there was a flicker of hope back then. 

I don't think GN'R will ever be the band they were and I'm at peace with that. 

28 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

It's crazy to think, that in the entire 4 year mammoth tour, apart from Download festival they only played 2 UK shows, on two consecutive nights, in only one city, London. Why the hell didn't they do more UK shows?

It's not. The UK just isn't as important as you UK people seem to think it is.

• Like 1