5 Years of reunion

Just now, Blackstar said:

Covid may be a real reason for not hitting a professional studio yet in this case - I'm not saying it is, but it's a possibility - because recording in a studio involves the work of a lot of people (techs, engineers, etc.). I'm not sure if studios were even open for business, at least for the most part of 2020 after the pandemic started.

Yeah, I'd really doubt they were to be fair. But they were up to, say, March of last year of course. 

Just now, jamillos said:

Again, an NDA for all the engineers etc. "You don't leak/publish anything, not even a rumour, or you're fired." Simple as that. 

That was probably the case with AC/DC, but it didn't stop members of the public picking up on it, taking photos, etc. In this day and age, I'm convinced it would leak, one way or the other, had it happened. 

49 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

That raises the question: Why would nothing materialize if you go into the studio and record songs? 

Because after the recording process there is still a lot of work that needs to be done before said music can be released, all of which relies on Axl. 

As for the wider question of what they might have done: The scenario where Slash just records new leads to already existing songs could easily be done in a home studio and then virtually mixed somewhere else. The whole band actually being in a recording studio together seems unlikely. As for jamming together, that could have been as little as Slash playing some new riffs for Axl and perhaps Axl humming along. 

31 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That was probably the case with AC/DC, but it didn't stop members of the public picking up on it, taking photos, etc. In this day and age, I'm convinced it would leak, one way or the other, had it happened. 

But those were rehearsals at publicly known places (the Vancouver studio etc.), that was different. They even recorded their own rehearsals. If they really wanted to keep it under the lid, and given how many studios Axl could use, I think it would be doable for GNR. 
And people don’t want to get dragged through the courts and pay loads of money (especially in the Covid poverty years), considering everything is traceable these days, considering all those wrecked youtube channels, and considering the Kevin Cogill story for example. 
I may be grasping at straws here, but I really think this would be feasible.  

Edited by jamillos

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

But those were rehearsals at publicly known places (the Vancouver studio etc.), that was different. They even recorded their own rehearsals. If they really wanted to keep it under the lid, and given how many studios Axl could use, I think it would be doable for GNR. 
And people don’t want to get dragged through the courts and pay loads of money (especially in the Covid poverty years), considering everything is traceable these days, considering all those wrecked youtube channels, and considering the Kevin Cogill story for example. 
I may be grasping at straws here, but I really think this would be feasible.  

The simplest explanation here would likely be the most logical and therefore the most easiest explained: we don’t hear anything because there’s nothing to hear. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

The simplest explanation here would likely be the most logical and therefore the most easiest explained: we don’t hear anything because there’s nothing to hear. 

It surely is there as an option, and I definitely don't wanna delude myself. Only saying there are other possibilities, and just because the stuff isn't being vented, we shouldn't claim to know that absolutely nothing has been happening. 
After all, anything is possible with these guys. 

Normally, I’m one of the folks constantly making fun of the never-ending lack of new releases. 

Edited by jamillos

On 4/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, allwaystired said:

It would probably take an actual photo of them in a recording studio to make me think anything was going on now. Vague and elusive comments that are open to interpretation have been de rigueur for too long now. 

In 2015, Pitman tweeted (and Ax retweeted) a vague and elusive studio pic. Remember that one?

Something was probably going on. The Guns Co. is a big business & IP. Lots of proposals, initiatives, etc.

Whether those plans and efforts come through is another thing entirely.

2 minutes ago, denin said:

In 2015, Pitman tweeted (and Ax retweeted) a vague and elusive studio pic. Remember that one?

Something was probably going on. The Guns Co. is a big business & IP. Lots of proposals, initiatives, etc.

Whether those plans and efforts come through is another thing entirely.

I think I remember it yeah. Was that the one that looked a bit like a ghost on a screen? I wonder what was going on? As you say, it did seem like something was. 

On 4/7/2021 at 5:55 AM, TeeJay410 said:

I remember 2006 being the hottest and closest we had ever been to it happening, with even more and greater credible sources saying it was real. I would love to hear what happened there.

It was. In 2006, no real label support, no album, lack of cash limiting gear and crew options & marketing... Touring over mortgage, while the band manager is using his position as CEO of Sanctuary Records (apt name) to bankroll CD. 

Ross Halfin aired a Slash comment at the time about Guns management (Merck & Beta) re:GH2. Essentially, he felt they made it hard for him to have a word with Ax. Slash wanted Ax to call him up, to suss things out, without lawyers or middlemen.

Guns settled for just Izzy guesting here and there, and he sure took his share of the loot. 

On 4/7/2021 at 6:56 AM, Blackstar said:

There is no indication that they have been in a recording studio. By that I mean a professional recording studio, which is the final stage after the songs have been fully arranged (SMKC hasn't been at that stage yet either, I think). They have been in their own studios, though - at least Slash and Duff, and I assume Axl must have done a minimum something in his home studio during all this time.

That's right, they've only done preproduction so far. Not sure when they'll start recording.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, Chester 524 said:

I totally agree.  it's just a song that some people may or may not sing along with.  not saying it's the easiest job in the world, but let's be honest, where he's from he should either be delivering pizzas at Annie's (which he'd get fired for late deliveries) or be in jail.  or maybe have a tough as shit labor job outdoors in the hot summer or cold ass winter, barely being able to make enough to buy a record after paying rent and child support and legal shit.  

so maybe he should take a step back and realize how lucky he is, not take this shit so seriously,  bc his life could have been very very different.  just release something and at the end of the day, it's just a fucking song. not the cure to cancer

100% agree.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think I remember it yeah. Was that the one that looked a bit like a ghost on a screen? I wonder what was going on? As you say, it did seem like something was. 

Yeah, that's the one. Dec 2014, to be exact. Stay of Execution era. Both took a pic of the mixing desk with their respective phones and tweeted them after an apparent all-night session.

Edited by denin
Added 2nd tweet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

DL 2018 was probably 1 the best days I've ever had the atmosphere was amazing the weather was amazing wish I could do that day again.

I'll go nx year if it happens 

I still remember seeing the crowd footage during Slither. It looked mental. I had the chance to go but turned it down as I didn't want to be a million miles away from the stage.

16 minutes ago, Dean said:

I still remember seeing the crowd footage during Slither. It looked mental. I had the chance to go but turned it down as I didn't want to be a million miles away from the stage.

We was half way by 1st sound tower was amazing day some abs well fit ladies there that day.....,!!!!!!!

Was 1 of my best days of 39 years of living....!!!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

We was half way by 1st sound tower was amazing day some abs well fit ladies there that day.....,!!!!!!!

Was 1 of my best days of 39 years of living....!!!!!

That's what it's all about my friend!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

Its worth going London 22 just to get a litho they are worth good good money now lol 

I'll be at both shows but willing to punt the tickets to the four I've got booked if they don't play anything new beforehand. That said, the Glasgow show was coinciding with Brian Wilson at the Armadillo, so I'll hopefully be able to catch that now with the rescheduled dates!