Axl's peace of mind VS New material

Axl's peace of mind VS New material.  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is the hypothetical scenario: let's assume Axl's anxiety or whatever else it may be, when all is said and done, means the prospect of finally releasing new songs/albums whether that's new new or stuff from the vault - even posthumously - is a miserable path for him to take that will only bring him torment, stress and anguish. He'll be at peace if he doesn't release anything though. However, the material would be 100% guarunteed amazing meaning at a minimum on par with Appetite and UYI and it's as many as 6 albums worth.

Edited by Oldest Goat

Can a songwriter truly have peace of mind when they've released one album in 30 years and haven't released anything for nearly 13 years?

Also what about a singer who basically cannot sing the majority of their catalogue of songs properly?

Axl has a lot of work to do to achieve non pharmaceutical peace of mind I think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I struggle with anxiety/depression and I have to go with Axl's peace of mind here. Those kind of problems don't vibe well with the music industry, especially when you're someone like Axl.

I understand that as fans, we want that material. To justify my answer though, I relate to the stress that comes with writing/releasing music and I'm on an underground level. That shit is terrifying at times because as a songwriter, you know all of the intricacies of your music and you can fall into the trap of being a perfectionist. I can't imagine how much worse it is on Axl's level.

You are right here 100%. But fuck it, give me an album ya ginger whinger! Haha!

• Haha 3

As much as I want the material, if it's going to institutionalise Axl in the process, I'll manage without it. I'd really, really like to get new material though, before the guy kicks the bucket. I don't really agree with estates releasing music that wasn't intended to be released (like the Prince estate).

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Not sure how being on a never-ending tour, with constant travelling away from home and differing time zones can be good for your peace of mind and releasing some stuff you have lying on a shelf is bad for it! 

Less pressure playing old material, less expectations, less eyes on him - 80000 vs the entire music industry, the crowds are now always positive too. 

I've only ever had very mild anxiety, but I think if I had the amount of interest/hate that Axl has and that I'd probably still create but be very shy about releasing anything.

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Less pressure playing old material, less expectations, less eyes on him - 80000 vs the entire music industry, the crowds are now always positive too. 

I've only ever had very mild anxiety, but I think if I had the amount of interest/hate that Axl has and that I'd probably still create but be very shy about releasing anything.

I see that argument. I suppose from one point of view the tours are easier.....but on the other side of things, they must also take their toll, health wise. It's not like people online are nice about his performances. Presumably he ignores all that, so you'd think it would be easy enough to ignore similar attitudes towards new material. 

But goodness knows why he never releases anything. It might be nothing to do with his peace of mind. 

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I see that argument. I suppose from one point of view the tours are easier.....but on the other side of things, they must also take their toll, health wise. It's not like people online are nice about his performances. Presumably he ignores all that, so you'd think it would be easy enough to ignore similar attitudes towards new material. 

But goodness knows why he never releases anything. It might be nothing to do with his peace of mind. 

I think in general it's that a new album would get so much exposure, whereas a live show will only get that kind of exposure if he causes a riot or sings REALLY bad. 

I think 20yrs of therapy should have evened him out, but I guess not. I suppose it's just not that much of a pressing issue for him, I don't even think it's work ethic. I think he might just be over the idea... although he may eventually be in the mood and release something. 

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think in general it's that a new album would get so much exposure, whereas a live show will only get that kind of exposure if he causes a riot or sings REALLY bad. 

I think 20yrs of therapy should have evened him out, but I guess not. I suppose it's just not that much of a pressing issue for him, I don't even think it's work ethic. I think he might just be over the idea... although he may eventually be in the mood and release something. 

I get the impression that's a lot of it, alongside the inevitable pressure to tour as it keeps a lot of people in money. 

One things for sure.....new material certainly isn't a priority! 

Peace of mind. Dude's been through plenty. Let him just play.

I also honestly can't imagine the new material will be that great. The creative differences between everyone are probably still there. 

That said, if they got stuff in the can that is virtually ready to go: release, baby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

One problem may be that Axl has lost his writing muse, and all he has left is CD 2 material that he can no longer sing. That Hardschool soundcheck sounded pretty rough, and that was just the verses, can't imagine how bad the chorus sounded.

I think his muse is gone as well. But, I believed it was also a factor of the industry beating him down. And I don’t think it’s the perfectionist aspect of him that prevents releasing new music. It just feels like he doesn’t have it in him to create music to the standard of the GNR name.

• Like 1

I think we need to look at this way...

Say you are the Axl Rose character.

You had a very troubled upbringing born to very young parents and was raised by a very abusive stepfather.

Music remains the calming element of a very tumultuous beginning chapter of your life.

With no real foundation to speak of,  you find yourself in and out of prison or detention or whatever BUT you love Rock N' Roll music. and you just may be brilliant at it!

It is your passion and you KNOW you are brilliant at it...you just need the Chance to prove it!

Your family and everyone in your town thinks you won't amount to anything anyway (they can't see it) and since you have nothing to lose......you hitchhike your way to Los Angeles to leave your mark in the music world.

You become a member of a number of bands before finding the "one" guitarist you feel can deliver the style of music you want and you help form the iconic Guns N' Roses lineup.

Despite the always lingering anxiety, you move on and you play gigs in hope of getting a record deal.  That anxiety will disappear.....it will have to!.

And you do get that record deal and your first record turns out to have some of the biggest rock hits of the 1980s...Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, and a slew of very brilliantly written songs telling the story of a bunch of street kids surviving on the decadent streets of LA.

You support that album including opening  for many of your legendary idols yet the anxiety and pressure mounts.

You've now got to deliver something BETTER than Appetite.

With your band in very High demand you release the part EP/ part studio Lies album but this was just a placeholder for the epic double album you have visioned in your mind. Wait till the world hears THIS!

But with this album...you don't want it o be a straight ahead rock album a la Appetite you want it to be a musical masterpiece (pianos, horns, any instrument really and let's add notable supporting musicians)....your band mates may or not agree in the direction and may or may not agree in what they perceive to be the new hierarchy in the band.

And so you deliver a masterpiece...you reach DEEP down into your tortured introverted soul and you write artistic epics like November Rain, Estranged, Civil War, Coma, Breakdown, etc.

You reach DEEP down and release rockers and ballads like You Could be Mine, Don't Cry and the many other rock songs and add your style to many know covers.

You release these two albums and you watch their release become a national...No...a worldwide phenomenon.

You film some of the most expensive music videos ever made and you look down from your place in the Music World and realize you've made it....You are the most important member of the most important Rock N' Roll band IN THE WORLD.

The record company books a 3 year world tour complete with lavish after parties, you are engaged to a super model...A Victoria Secret's Model but there are visible hairline cracks.......ones that get bigger everyday. The whispers become louder in your head.... and you wonder how much longer that faulty foundation can hold ALL that you've built above it.

You realize that your band mates may or may not have gotten sick and tired of your "dictatorship" ways, that your once loyal boyhood friend now wants nothing to do with your band, your fiance and your future with her (and her children) has proven to be  an illusion and is no longer in your life and that 3 year world tour may have more to do with your record company working the band to exhaustion because it means they can cash in....the health of the members , preserving your singing voice, or any care about another album is second to making cash NOW.

And poof...after a mixed reviewed  Spaghetti Incident Album and a damaging Sympathy for the Devil cover...the Guns N' Roses that delivered all or parts of AFD and UYI is D-E-A-D.

Now YOU, and YOU alone...must deliver an album but this time....your perspective on life has changed.

You are older...It is no longer make a hit album or starve in the streets ...you can work when you want to or not and spend time alone inside your Malibu mansion.

You are comfortable...and you've brought very a valuable something to "the market place" so you deserve to.

99.9% of the world population, in their whole lifetime,  will never deliver something  and culturally important as what you have.

But you forge ahead..trying to understand what is relevant in today's music. So you hire the best set of "hired guns" you can...surely they can put together iconic music  and you can add the lyrics.

Sure...that is the plan.

But your contributions are different.....your voice has aged in a different way and the words that once flowed out of your head at a rapid brilliant pace are now stymied by self doubt and self pain....How can I ever write another November Rain?

How..... and Is this ALL worth the risk...and the pain?

And so you reluctantly release your Howard Hughes/ Brian Wilson era Chinese Democracy and it is as many thought it would be.....A story of a man trying to deliver an epic album despite everyone and everything abandoning him along the way.

With that said, there are many great ideas on CD. I listen to it regularly but it also  had many bad ideas. 

But it feels like an album that was manufactured instead of coming from the soul.

A soul that once told Axl he was going to hitchhike to LA to deliver the greatest American debut album in Rock N' Roll history.....failure was never an afterthought.

Now failure is the primary thought....why not be safe..rely on the catalogue we already have. No need to mess it up.

I don't know the current status of the new material, the creative relationship between the big three (Axl + Slash + Duff) or if they are working on material from the heart or if they are comfortable.

But maybe we will all be shocked...maybe the brilliance is still there ...or maybe it disappeared a long long time ago and that once peaceful "music" that was once the ONLY soothing thing in his life has become that Monster under the bed demanding more and more from him in return.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bailey15 said:

I think we need to look at this way...

Say you are the Axl Rose character.

You had a very troubled upbringing born to very young parents and was raised by a very abusive stepfather.

Music remains the calming element of a very tumultuous beginning chapter of your life.

With no real foundation to speak of,  you find yourself in and out of prison or detention or whatever BUT you love Rock N' Roll music. and you just may be brilliant at it!

It is your passion and you KNOW you are brilliant at it...you just need the Chance to prove it!

Your family and everyone in your town thinks you won't amount to anything anyway (they can't see it) and since you have nothing to lose......you hitchhike your way to Los Angeles to leave your mark in the music world.

You become a member of a number of bands before finding the "one" guitarist you feel can deliver the style of music you want and you help form the iconic Guns N' Roses lineup.

Despite the always lingering anxiety, you move on and you play gigs in hope of getting a record deal.  That anxiety will disappear.....it will have to!.

And you do get that record deal and your first record turns out to have some of the biggest rock hits of the 1980s...Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, and a slew of very brilliantly written songs telling the story of a bunch of street kids surviving on the decadent streets of LA.

You support that album including opening  for many of your legendary idols yet the anxiety and pressure mounts.

You've now got to deliver something BETTER than Appetite.

With your band in very High demand you release the part EP/ part studio Lies album but this was just a placeholder for the epic double album you have visioned in your mind. Wait till the world hears THIS!

But with this album...you don't want it o be a straight ahead rock album a la Appetite you want it to be a musical masterpiece (pianos, horns, any instrument really and let's add notable supporting musicians)....your band mates may or not agree in the direction and may or may not agree in what they perceive to be the new hierarchy in the band.

And so you deliver a masterpiece...you reach DEEP down into your tortured introverted soul and you write artistic epics like November Rain, Estranged, Civil War, Coma, Breakdown, etc.

You reach DEEP down and release rockers and ballads like You Could be Mine, Don't Cry and the many other rock songs and add your style to many know covers.

You release these two albums and you watch their release become a national...No...a worldwide phenomenon.

You film some of the most expensive music videos ever made and you look down from your place in the Music World and realize you've made it....You are the most important member of the most important Rock N' Roll band IN THE WORLD.

The record company books a 3 year world tour complete with lavish after parties, you are engaged to a super model...A Victoria Secret's Model but there are visible hairline cracks.......ones that get bigger everyday. The whispers become louder in your head.... and you wonder how much longer that faulty foundation can hold ALL that you've built above it.

You realize that your band mates may or may not have gotten sick and tired of your "dictatorship" ways, that your once loyal boyhood friend now wants nothing to do with your band, your fiance and your future with her (and her children) has proven to be  an illusion and is no longer in your life and that 3 year world tour may have more to do with your record company working the band to exhaustion because it means they can cash in....the health of the members , preserving your singing voice, or any care about another album is second to making cash NOW.

And poof...after a mixed reviewed  Spaghetti Incident Album and a damaging Sympathy for the Devil cover...the Guns N' Roses that delivered all or parts of AFD and UYI is D-E-A-D.

Now YOU, and YOU alone...must deliver an album but this time....your perspective on life has changed.

You are older...It is no longer make a hit album or starve in the streets ...you can work when you want to or not and spend time alone inside your Malibu mansion.

You are comfortable...and you've brought very a valuable something to "the market place" so you deserve to.

99.9% of the world population, in their whole lifetime,  will never deliver something  and culturally important as what you have.

But you forge ahead..trying to understand what is relevant in today's music. So you hire the best set of "hired guns" you can...surely they can put together iconic music  and you can add the lyrics.

Sure...that is the plan.

But your contributions are different.....your voice has aged in a different way and the words that once flowed out of your head at a rapid brilliant pace are now stymied by self doubt and self pain....How can I ever write another November Rain?

How..... and Is this ALL worth the risk...and the pain?

And so you reluctantly release your Howard Hughes/ Brian Wilson era Chinese Democracy and it is as many thought it would be.....A story of a man trying to deliver an epic album despite everyone and everything abandoning him along the way.

With that said, there are many great ideas on CD. I listen to it regularly but it also  had many bad ideas. 

But it feels like an album that was manufactured instead of coming from the soul.

A soul that once told Axl he was going to hitchhike to LA to deliver the greatest American debut album in Rock N' Roll history.....failure was never an afterthought.

Now failure is the primary thought....why not be safe..rely on the catalogue we already have. No need to mess it up.

I don't know the current status of the new material, the creative relationship between the big three (Axl + Slash + Duff) or if they are working on material from the heart or if they are comfortable.

But maybe we will all be shocked...maybe the brilliance is still there ...or maybe it disappeared a long long time ago and that once peaceful "music" that was once the ONLY soothing thing in his life has become that Monster under the bed demanding more and more from him in return.

Excellent analysis 

13 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

That Hardschool soundcheck sounded pretty rough, and that was just the verses, can't imagine how bad the chorus sounded.

Yes, that was absolutely horrendous. Still trying to forget.