Honestly how would a new album even work?

A double album (Chinese / new songs hybrid) would be a redemption of sorts. That would be really cool. The small catalogue really bums me out with GN'R.

Although we do tend to forget that both UYI are extremely long. If you were to split those two records and make each of them as long as some of the legendary albums by Queen, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones, The Doors (it wasn't uncommon for bands to release albums that were 32-36 minute long), UYI 1&2 could be regarded as four separate records.

The length is probably due to the start of the CD era when bands were excited to put so much material on one record. For example, Led Zeppelin double album Physical Graffiti is 83 minutes long, UYI 1&2 are 76 minutes each. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Why the hell would they release it with guitarists who haven't been in the band for years, that's just daft

Well, no one expect CD2 fans know. :P I think Slash has enough ego to not be part of a GNR album which features guitarists, who are not in the band.

6 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

I don't think that would necessarily be an egotistical choice, it seems pretty reasonable?

Yes. Obviously. But that makes it 2 reasons why there is no reason to believe that ever would happen. But then again, it IS GNR. <_<

Edited by PatrickS77

2 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I don't think that would necessarily be an egotistical choice, it seems pretty reasonable?

Because that's not how Axl works. The contributions are more important than the status of a band member.  

35 minutes ago, bumcheecksmcghee said:

Not necessarily... They have played OMG and silkworms live before and they're not album songs?

OMG had an official release as part of a movie soundtrack, and I believe Silkworms was planned to be on the record at the time they were playing it live. If they play Hardschool live, it will only be because they want to release it officially. That won't ever happen tho but its cool to see they rehearsed it

1 hour ago, slash23579 said:

If they play Hardschool live, it will only be because they want to release it officially

but we don't really know that. The cat is out of the bag for the hardcore fans who downloaded the leak so it could serve the purpose of playing a "new" tune cause the leak got a good reception from the fanbase also Axl has been known to change his mind about which tunes get an official release as part of an album.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Proper Best of... (as opposed to GH) album w/3 best “new” songs as bonus tracks w/Slash n’ Duff added in. That way new material is attached to a guaranteed “winner” (i.e. all the best classic material in one spot would fly off the shelves IMHO)- and puts to rest the whole “haven’t released anything new since...” talk. Then tour the Best Of... as long as they’re able/willing. 

4 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Well you start from scratch, not try to piece together something from 20 year old songs recorded by a different band.

if Axl is emotionally attached to that material and thinks it's great shit, why would he not use it? we know what his approach was with Chinese. Maybe the quality of it is more important than how old the tunes are. I think it would take too much time, even more time for Gn'R to start from scratch compared to whatever Axl is doing now which could be trying to add Slash and Duff to what he managed to record with the previous lineups.

Edited by Rovim
  • GNFNR 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:09 AM, Nice Boy said:

Why the hell would they release it with guitarists who haven't been in the band for years, that's just daft

Exactly, that makes no sense. The only case where this would be reasonable is some sort of a huge box set with a back-catalogue selection throughout all the eras, but I don’t see this happening as the upcoming release. 

3 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Proper Best of... (as opposed to GH) album w/3 best “new” songs as bonus tracks w/Slash n’ Duff added in. That way new material is attached to a guaranteed “winner” (i.e. all the best classic material in one spot would fly off the shelves IMHO)- and puts to rest the whole “haven’t released anything new since...” talk. Then tour the Best Of... as long as they’re able/willing. 

They toured the best of (+ CD) in 2016–2019. No more, please. 

Edited by jamillos

JFC..

Step 1 - Write music 

Step 2 - Record music

Step 3 (and this is where things get tricky so pay attention) - Release music. 

This “band” is so stupid. It makes me cringe that the reunion was 5 years ago now. Such good times and good energy squandered by doing nothing. If you can’t write and record music when that is literally the only thing you can do as an artist right now, than you’re not an artist. You’re just playing rockstar, waiting until the lights come on so you can regurgitate the same tired schtick  over and over again. 5 years ago it was cool, when concerts happen again, it’ll just be sad 

On 4/25/2021 at 4:58 AM, Sosso said:

Because that's not how Axl works. The contributions are more important than the status of a band member.  

Josh Freese, Brain, Bucket, Brian May & Robin would like to have a word with you.

Edited by denin
  • Like 1