Predictions For The Next GN'R Show

23 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I would get bored after twelve rounds of The Seeker :shrugs:

There's only a few hits they really 'have to' play IMO, the rest could be deep cuts and covers like Down On The Farm, Marseilles, Wichita Lineman and The Seeker. Throw in some Duff songs and an extended Slash solo and they could still do a pretty good 2-2.5 hours show.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Maybe they could sing the more complicated songs (Coma, Locomotive, There Was A Time) together and she would hit all the high notes. 

She does that on a few songs already, maybe if it was very subtle like what she does now it could be fine?

The thing with the songs you mentioned seems to be that he hasn't the stamina, so even if she sings high and he sings under her; he still has to sing all the same words with the same phrasing... by the end of it he'd still be choked. There's no quick fix on this in my opinion. He has to go and bust his ass working with a coach for a few months. Obviously I'd be open to hearing it though, but I don't want to hear 2017-2020 capability Axl with Melissa over the top filling in the blanks, that in my opinion is a complete cop out. I want to hear him absolutely nail his parts (every night) if someone else is going to carry the higher lines on key songs.

10 hours ago, El Guapo said:

This. Maybe they will play a very weak hardschool. Some lesser members will give a few meaningless interviews babbling about how Covid set back their plans and they have to get back into the groove and that they just wanna give the people a good time for now.

This sounds so GN’R-like that it’s disturbing. Painfully probable. 

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So, the majority of the set? :lol:

(Seriously though, I'd be fine with them cutting the set down to 7 or 8 'must play' songs and then filling out the rest of the show with deep cuts, or covers, or anything that Axl can actually sing...)

There are no 7–8 “must play” songs in any setlist of any band. That’s just us, having gotten used to certain songs, because this band has operated a different way and has a different history, i.e. Axl had to stick with the old stuff while doing NuGN’R so that the fans remembered what it was all about and why he is famous and why to buy the ticket. Similar principle with NITL, the reunion tour. 
But the thing is – and I’ve said it here before – that there are probably 3 songs that kind of should be played (Jungle, SCOM, PC), and the rest can go to hell, along with all the covers. Not all at once, but gradually, getting replaced with different and/or new stuff. You know, like other bands have done it? Even the biggest staples are either skipped/alternated or faded away over time in their case. This “8 must play” would kill any innovation potential. It’s time to move on; no band that wants to be taken seriously can become just some ancient showcase of old hits. The fans won’t leave because they haven’t heard KOHD for the 500th fucking time. Alas, we do know certain songs will always be played nonetheless, don’t we. 

Edited by jamillos

31 minutes ago, moreblack said:

There most certainly are must play songs in that band's catalogue

Yeah, like those 3 I've mentioned. They'll also always play KOHD as well as NR (unless it's a club gig like the Troubadour), but there's absolutely no need to keep playing stuff like Rocket Queen or You Could Be Mine, especially considering Axl hasn't sounded well on these since 2010. Like I've said, alternation and replacement is the way. Not to mention all the covers, just taking up space in the setlist. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

No need to discuss the set list predictions seeing as we already know what they'll play and the order they'll play it in. I also don't think we need to discuss the possibility of new music because, lol. However, there are other things to discuss about the next show. 

What do you think we happen? 

Will Fortus still be in the band? That seems a little up in the air with all the gear he's selling. 

Will Slash get back to playing his own solos remotely close to how he recorded them? I wonder if he was so burned out by the end of the last run, that he was just playing whatever he wants. 

Will Axl be prepared? Dude never, ever properly prepared for a tour but I'm hoping (like an idiot) that this time is different. 

What else is anyone wondering about? 

I wouldn't discard the possibility of Hardschool being played, but that is perhaps not a "new" song. 

Except for that, same band, a setlist of about 20 songs, and the band will do better than they did at the end of the 2018 tour but still improve over the next few gigs.

5 hours ago, Tyson said:

Axl sounds like shit, isn't in very good shape and he takes certain songs out of the setlist because he can no longer sing them.  

Not without a few stubborn attempts to carry on whilst completely murdering them, ala TIL 2018. Expect voice cracks, randomly changing octaves and whole lines missed before he drops any songs for good.

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Will Fortus still be in the band? That seems a little up in the air with all the gear he's selling. 

He has stated multiple times he is selling a lot of gear to buy a very expensive guitar... this kind of speculation is so stupid. Fortus isn't going anywhere,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Hopefully axl let his hair grow. That lesbian haircut didn't do it for me.

Yeah. In fact that was one of the reasons I didn't go in '19. I was sitting on the fence for the longest. When I saw that, I knew it was the right decision not to go. :facepalm: Yes. It has come down to hair. :P

What to expect from the GNR show ? Well the show will start with it’s so easy and end with paradise city. Outside of that I’ve no idea. Hopefully frank has used the time away to learn how to not butcher the drums of some of the classic songs. The most annoying thing is we know axl can sing if he puts the effort in, as we saw with AC/DC and yes I know there are differences in how the songs are sung but axl put in effort to sound good so we know when he puts his mind to it he can do it. The fact he decides not to bother his hole doing it for his own band is what I find baffling. So yeah we shall see but being an optimist as a GNR fan isn’t good for your health. 

Just now, JAxlMorrison said:

I think we’ll get Hard School, You’re Crazy, whatever else new we saw on that setlist from Mexico.

call me crazy, but I’m leaning towards a new album right around Thanksgiving, when they always release stuff. Maybe I’m just optimistic today. 

You're crazy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I think we’ll get Hard School, You’re Crazy, whatever else new we saw on that setlist from Mexico.

call me crazy, but I’m leaning towards a new album right around Thanksgiving, when they always release stuff. Maybe I’m just optimistic today. 

I hope you're right, though I'm leaning towards on or around that ginger bastard's 60th. It won't surprise me if they focus on the UYI boxset this year though if that drops, which would be extremely disappointing that yet another reissue takes precedent before a new album.

I really hope the US shows kick off, if it's safe to do so, as it'll offer some sort of indication of what the future may hold and if it looks promising - new music being played - then I'll probably treat myself to a trip to Oz to see those cunts on my birthday.

I won't be going to Oz. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ifdworld said:

He has stated multiple times he is selling a lot of gear to buy a very expensive guitar... this kind of speculation is so stupid. Fortus isn't going anywhere,

LOL, speculation? That's all GN'R has left anyone with. 

1 minute ago, moreblack said:

There's not much future, probably just more gigs year in, year out, if they put out new music, that'll be a shock

At this point... Pretty much, aye! No expectations. Even though Metallica are not the fastest moving band in the world, you know they will record another album or two before they call it. With GNR, that doesn't exist. And they will likely call it before Metallica anyway. Gooooooood times!