Current line-up unchanged or AFD reunion with Melissa on vocals?

Melissa led AFD reunion or ever worsening current line-up?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think even if Axl improve his singin it would be the same... No one is the same they were in 1989... Even the audience who saw them during that time!! I don't think someone near their 50's would think a bunch of almost 60 years old tryin' to pretend they were in their mid twenties are cool... And no one in their late teens mid twenties will think people like their parents tryin' to pretend to be young rebels again... Every band of their time who does that is playin clubs or in theaters with two other bands of the same era

No one can beat the time... Izzy hasn't tour in a regular basis for 29 years now... It's half of his entire life!! It's at least 4 times more the time he spent touring regularly.  Just as the same as Steven, add to Steven the health problems he has because his drug use in the past... It's almost impossible to him to tour in this level of commitment  the band is touring today. 

Duff is older, wiser and much more cynical these days than the punk rockers he intended to be one day. His playin changed big time... He took classes, he learnt how to play differently, he doesn't have the same edgne anymore... Same thing with Slash... The blues soulful player of the 80's and 90's  became much more technical skilled and to me much more boring and unispiring .

The problems with Axl I belive is clear to everyone ... Age comes to everyone but in 90% of the cases is ruthless with lead singers... And even worse with 80's singers and the way they sang back then. So Axl can improve 100% that he probably won't sing with the intensity he used to sing in his hey day. 

The best scenario of a AFD 5 reunion in my opinion is a tour playin Appetite in its entirety plus Patience and YCBM with 2 show per week ... 1 hour show in and out.... Anything different it would be very hard to Axl voice and Steven health. How profitable it would be? Can't really say... But I don't think it would be more profitable than the reunion we are having right now.

53 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

I don't think even if Axl improve his singin it would be the same... No one is the same they were in 1989... Even the audience who saw them during that time!! I don't think someone near their 50's would think a bunch of almost 60 years old tryin' to pretend they were in their mid twenties are cool... And no one in their late teens mid twenties will think people like their parents tryin' to pretend to be young rebels again... Every band of their time who does that is playin clubs or in theaters with two other bands of the same era

No one can beat the time... Izzy hasn't tour in a regular basis for 29 years now... It's half of his entire life!! It's at least 4 times more the time he spent touring regularly.  Just as the same as Steven, add to Steven the health problems he has because his drug use in the past... It's almost impossible to him to tour in this level of commitment  the band is touring today. 

Duff is older, wiser and much more cynical these days than the punk rockers he intended to be one day. His playin changed big time... He took classes, he learnt how to play differently, he doesn't have the same edgne anymore... Same thing with Slash... The blues soulful player of the 80's and 90's  became much more technical skilled and to me much more boring and unispiring .

The problems with Axl I belive is clear to everyone ... Age comes to everyone but in 90% of the cases is ruthless with lead singers... And even worse with 80's singers and the way they sang back then. So Axl can improve 100% that he probably won't sing with the intensity he used to sing in his hey day. 

The best scenario of a AFD 5 reunion in my opinion is a tour playin Appetite in its entirety plus Patience and YCBM with 2 show per week ... 1 hour show in and out.... Anything different it would be very hard to Axl voice and Steven health. How profitable it would be? Can't really say... But I don't think it would be more profitable than the reunion we are having right now.

I don't think the measurement should be 'the same as 87-90'. It should be based on now, but as good as it can be. I just don't think the interest would be there from Axl to look backwards enough to get into a headspace that would motivate him. Like after Rio 2011, he was a worldwide laughing stock, and that didn't motivate him. I think he wants to move forward, but he constantly pulls the breaks.

You can't listen to the NITL shows and not hear his motivation dropping off as the years went on, same with the official CD tour 09-14. I think he likes being challenged, but he also doesn't want to change anything so he becomes complacent and his performances deteriorate. He hits the notes, but it's like an olympic speed runner patting themselves on the back for finishing last... not really the objective!

In all honesty, GNR play most of the Appetite album each night and have done for the past few years to sold out audiences without Izzy and Steven. The return of the AFD5 (plus Dizzy... coz he would be involved, right) would only really have a mass appeal to the hardcore fanbase. The average fan on the street knows Axl and Slash, and possibly Duff... but that's it.

47 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think he likes being challenged, but he also doesn't want to change anything so he becomes complacent and his performances deteriorate.

But what would challenge Axl these days? A new record maybe? Maybe!

But we probably know the moment he and Slash entry in a studio for really new material the "musical incompatibility" will rise immediately. Take a listen on their "solo records" and it's clear they're world apart musically.

But lets believe they can reach a common ground. Axl is really up to the task of promoting an album the way it's done these days. Without a big record company pouring tons of money. Going to press tours around the world, giving interviews to podcasts, Youtube channels etc... I don't think so.

Axl only likes to be challenged on his environment... When he's really challenged he usually shut off to the external world and blame on peoples greed to do what os need to be done

15 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

But what would challenge Axl these days? A new record maybe? Maybe!

But we probably know the moment he and Slash entry in a studio for really new material the "musical incompatibility" will rise immediately. Take a listen on their "solo records" and it's clear they're world apart musically.

But lets believe they can reach a common ground. Axl is really up to the task of promoting an album the way it's done these days. Without a big record company pouring tons of money. Going to press tours around the world, giving interviews to podcasts, Youtube channels etc... I don't think so.

Axl only likes to be challenged on his environment... When he's really challenged he usually shut off to the external world and blame on peoples greed to do what os need to be done

I don't know how incompatible they are theses days. I think there's an album in a lot of musicians that is way out there, after they usually say "cool, we might go back to something more straight forward next time" ...And justice, for Metallica. For AC/DC it was the high production Mutt lange brought, the Darkness with One way ticket, for GNR it's probably CD. I don't expect Axl to suddenly renounce all things synth and progressive... but I think he'd be far more likely to embrace a straight ahead Slash song alongside his more ambitious work. Basically I think he appreciates the balance between writing styles, like Freddie appreciated Brians more aggressive rock edge even though left to his own devices he'd have made pure operatic pop-dance music.

Maybe a new album can motivate him? I honestly don't know. My idea of motivation would be sold out world tours playing 50-80000 per night are losing their shit with excitement. And the eagerness from a fanbase to hear new music... The guy probably has other things that he considers clearly, and everything else is a distant second until he hits that point. 

trying to make sense out of this would make you go crazy. I prefer days when I don't think about it at all😄 this last sentence could also be Axls perspective too, which would explain a lot!

On 4/27/2021 at 2:15 PM, James Bond said:

How about a compromise - he can deliver the pizza during a 1993 throwback acoustic set.

It's a fantastic idea.

Well now I feel cheated. I would have voted differently had I known we would not be getting full Dizzy Reed bongo/tambourine action.