06/07/22 - Seville,ES - Estadio Benito Villamarin

alfierose

On 6/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, chinese stew said:

I was there. Axl sounded INCREDIBLE. 

Best shape and vocals since I  have seen reunion shows live.

People judge the performance looking youtube vids, and at the same time they said that RHCP did it great.

A youtube example of RHCP in Sevilla

I'm not saying that RHCP didn't play a good show, I'm saying that the sound in youtube vids sucks. It's imposible that a phone could record the sound in the place, there are a lot of different things, the distance, the mic, the angle, etc.

Edited by janrichmond
removed yt video
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, El Nono Pololo said:

Learning how to approach their catalog using a more comfortable range for him (being naturally more of a baritone to begin with) and saving his high range and rasp for dramatic effect would be a logical step to take, though that's way easier said than done tbh. Some of those songs cover a nice stretch, and might be a bitch to adapt smoothly to fit the path of least vocal resistance. Still, he should try doing something in that direction...

What's puzzling to me is that he chooses to sing even stuff like Slither HIGHER than the original, and he has to know it sounds like total ass. Seems like he could easily tackle that one in his lower to mid-register throughout.

Simply put. It's not what people pay to hear. They want the high range not recalibrations and completely different vocal lines. I don't want to hear that either as it would be shit. Ok when he hits 70 so be it, play the acoustic welcome to the jungle in a low register, right now piss off🤣

Yes. His voice is rough, but once he hits that register the crowd don't give a damn.

If he sang jungle in the register of double talkin jive maybe it would be more consistent but the crowd would not be pleased. 

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Simply put. It's not what people pay to hear. They want the high range not recalibrations and completely different vocal lines. I don't want to hear that either as it would be shit. Ok when he hits 70 so be it, play the acoustic welcome to the jungle in a low register, right now piss off🤣

Yes. His voice is rough, but once he hits that register the crowd don't give a damn.

If he sang jungle in the register of double talkin jive maybe it would be more consistent but the crowd would not be pleased. 

Yeah, a lot of the material wouldn't work or would need to be very different. That's partly why I said it's way easier said than done. Then again, there ARE songs that he could approach more sensibly and naturally, all things considered. I'm not suggesting they do "DARTH VADER SINGS GNR". Do Slither like the original instead of mickymousing it for the hell of it. Don't cover BIB, which he himself said is one of the hardest songs to do justice live in his opinion: there's plenty of rock standards that would fit with GNR's style and the fans would love and that would be easier vocally. Bring out songs like Pretty Tied Up. Etc.

That being said: I'd rather hear good singing than cartoonish, pitchy falsetto once in a while, so all in all I'd take the recalibrated, totally different vocal lines for a song or two here and there just to see how it goes. They've been doing the same shit with diminishing returns since forever, might as well try something different, even if to change things up a little.

• Like 1

I have watched the first concerts of this tour and Axl sound pretty well. Not at 2010 or 2016 level, but decent. He also seems to be in better shape. Some of you guys pointed that they should play songs in lower key like Down on The Farm, The Garden, Pretty Tied Up, etc, and I totally agree!! They should drop Coma (i.e.) or other songs that are a bear to uncle Axl.

11 hours ago, El Nono Pololo said:

Yeah, a lot of the material wouldn't work or would need to be very different. That's partly why I said it's way easier said than done. Then again, there ARE songs that he could approach more sensibly and naturally, all things considered. I'm not suggesting they do "DARTH VADER SINGS GNR". Do Slither like the original instead of mickymousing it for the hell of it. Don't cover BIB, which he himself said is one of the hardest songs to do justice live in his opinion: there's plenty of rock standards that would fit with GNR's style and the fans would love and that would be easier vocally. Bring out songs like Pretty Tied Up. Etc.

That being said: I'd rather hear good singing than cartoonish, pitchy falsetto once in a while, so all in all I'd take the recalibrated, totally different vocal lines for a song or two here and there just to see how it goes. They've been doing the same shit with diminishing returns since forever, might as well try something different, even if to change things up a little.

I'd be ok with a song or two, but like you said it would need to be worked out and the band would need to adapt around it too. Like the way he currently does you're crazy is low mid and then he sprinkles in the high range for portions. it sounds ok, but for me that song needs to be sang in the high register otherwise it's a stale melodically. 

10 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

It is what it is. Axl's decline is clear, age being the main factor but it seems evident that Axl/DC somewhat accelerated it, considering how hard he pushed himself. There is however a silver lining here.

If you listen to 2016's first gig at the Troubadour (what's available of it), Axl sounds terrible. Since 2018, the first shows of every tour have been absolutely attrocious, with Axl actually failing to sing some songs and reach high notes. This year something is different.

Axl is clearly in great shape right now. It's the second showw of the gig and he is singing Back in Black, soundcheking TWAT. The rasp is not there, but is the most solid start since, at the very least, 2017. He is easily reaching the notes he struggled with the past 4 years or so.

I think we should be patient. It is a decent start for a tour, better than in the past few years. This is the worse version of Axl we will get  on this tour. If you consider that, there is every chance this will be a fun leg, some bits of the rasp will come around and Axl will even dust off some of the harder songs. 

I agree Axl has definitely put in some work and he looks and sounds much better than the final show of last year and it's 2 shows in. I think there might be some good performances to come... I just think keeping expectations at a reasonable level is the key. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pentatonicamenor said:

Something I noticed the other day in Seville.

After they played "Slither", Frank began with the drums of "Double Talkin’ Jive", but only for two seconds, then he stopped, and the band played "Welcome to the Jungle".

Does anyone else there noticed that?

So what?

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, pentatonicamenor said:

Something I noticed the other day in Seville.

After they played "Slither", Frank began with the drums of "Double Talkin’ Jive", but only for two seconds, then he stopped, and the band played "Welcome to the Jungle".

Does anyone else there noticed that?

Probably just a small mistake out of habit from Frank. They used to play slither -> DTJ -> Jungle in 2021 and also in Lisbon I think and now changed it in Seville for the first time 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

Probably just a small mistake out of habit from Frank. They used to play slither -> DTJ -> Jungle in 2021 and also in Lisbon I think and now changed it in Seville for the first time 

That's what I thought too.

Only a curiosity :)

10 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

So what?

Nothing important, only a curiosity.