06/28/22 - Dublin, IE - Marlay Park

alfierose

4 hours ago, Jw224 said:

I do not consider Axl rasping for three seconds in every song "very good". The bar has been lowered so much that people are happy with anything.

I don't think I was saying that. I also don't think that's a fair assessment of his vocal performance. 

If you think it should be better and are dissatisfied then you don't have to listen but I heard a guy trying to sing the songs a whole lot better than he has in the past 4/5yrs. Yup, he's lost some body and some of the attack, but it's more than passable and I am a harsh critic, I listened to almost the entire show and I'd say he was a 6/10 vocally the whole band together were about an 8. That's a good show. 

Standards are lowered of course, he can't sing every song with the same youthful intensity, it just isn't conducive to surviving a year tour cycle. I'm not making excuses for him, and sometimes he does/did sound awful and gasping for air, but I genuinely thought he put on a good show.  At least when you listen to some of those performances you can safely say it's Axl, and not some poor imitator. 

We'll never all be pleased though, so it is what it is. We all have our idea of good/bad. I keep saying it, but expectations do need to realistic. Consider where he was vocally last year. He was awful. This year is so much stronger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I've heard a few videos from this show like SCOM, NR, Reckless... Axl sounds better than average for the last few years, but still far from great.

It's still bizarre that they brought back Reckless Life. They've yet to play a good version of that, or Back In Black.

I still believe that it sounds better live. The energy, the volume, no weak cell phone recording...

I don't say Axl sings better, but it sounds better.

• Like 3

Thought Marley Park was a brilliant gig, venue was good, bit of a pain for the buses to get out of but well worth it. Felt Axl sounded as good as I've heard and the band seemed to really enjoy themselves. Everyone in the crowd around where I was were also saying how good the gig was. I was in the golden circle 3 rows from front duffs side. Think my misses has a crush on him but I'm ok with that ☺️, roll on next tour.

By the way, also felt they did a good version of back in black 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Malone
  • Like 1

I honestly think BiB, Better, Reckless Life were all pretty solid performances.

I was suprised by Better actually, it's usualy one of the weaker ones.

Rasp was back, and it seemed easier to reach for him

Edited by Manfisman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I've heard a few videos from this show like SCOM, NR, Reckless... Axl sounds better than average for the last few years, but still far from great.

It's still bizarre that they brought back Reckless Life. They've yet to play a good version of that, or Back In Black.

I've heard a few good versions of both. Reckless life in particular seems to be right in Axls current comfort zone

• Like 3

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

Where is this TikTok video?

search for "guns n roses norway disappointing" or something like that. it will come up. Don't know if we are allowed to paste the link here.

actually, the video itself it's not THAT bad and we all heard worse from Axl.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I've heard a few good versions of both. Reckless life in particular seems to be right in Axls current comfort zone

I don't know if I'd say it's in his comfort zone, he always sounds ridiculous screaming 're-e-e-e-eck-less life' at the end IMO.

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I still believe that it sounds better live. The energy, the volume, no weak cell phone recording...

I don't say Axl sings better, but it sounds better.

Of course it's easier to ignore the flaws and have a good time when you're at the show. It's loud and there's plenty of things going on around you.

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't know if I'd say it's in his comfort zone, he always sounds ridiculous screaming 're-e-e-e-eck-less life' at the end IMO.

Of course it's easier to ignore the flaws and have a good time when you're at the show. It's loud and there's plenty of things going on around you.

Yeah, and as long as this is the case, it's ok, I think.

I mean, that's the point of a live show, isn't it?

People who are there should have a good time.

I were happy too if Axl would sound like back in the days in current Youtube videos. But as long as people have fun on the live shows, this band has its right to exists.

1 hour ago, FabioRoses said:

search for "guns n roses norway disappointing" or something like that. it will come up. Don't know if we are allowed to paste the link here.

actually, the video itself it's not THAT bad and we all heard worse from Axl.

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

I saw it in Metal Sucks site, and few Spanish and Brazilian sites too. I hope it has  useful to you. 👍

Yeah I found it. Seems like they picked the worst moment of the song and did the video based off that but that was a weaker show compared to Dublin.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I found it. Seems like they picked the worst moment of the song and did the video based off that but that was a weaker show compared to Dublin.

Exactly, you find in Metal Sucks?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've been meaning to get around to a review. Just a thoughts from myself.

I've attended numerous GN'R (and associated bands) concerts, and bought a Gold Circle ticket.

Marlay is a lovely venue with great views of the mountains. I was at a nearby bar for the buildup, which was great. GNR tunes blasting out.

The band showed up more or less on time (caught me out at the bar!).

Having attended Slane a few years prior, this was always gonna be a hard act to follow (headlining Slane is a big deal in Ireland)

I thought:

• the music was very good
  • the crowd was good/above average (great attendance, casuals mixed with some hardcore. A lot of space in the Gold Circle, to the point where people were chatting in groups and not looking at the stage).
  • The production/stage show was poor in comparison to both Slane and the previous night in Marlay. I was amazed at the lack of Pyro/Production in any of the songs, and it really took away from the show, especially for anyone who went to Slane, or was a casual who attended the gig the previous night. Extensive Fireworks at the end of a Green Day gig V nothing at the end of Paradise City does not sit well)
  • The early start meant there was no chance of a transition from day to night in the middle of the gig, something which felt almost biblical at Slane in the middle of November Rain.
  • 3-4 songs could have easily been cut from the set to keep the momentum up. There was a point in the gig (around Absurd) where everyone around me up and left to the bar/toilets. 

A big part of me feels like my experience is as much to do with me, as the show. While the band is older and the the audience less raucous, maybe i've become more critical with age.....

Long time follower, love the band, but overall I'd only give this show a 7/10. 

53 minutes ago, Irish Rose said:

• The production/stage show was poor in comparison to both Slane and the previous night in Marlay. I was amazed at the lack of Pyro/Production in any of the songs, and it really took away from the show, especially for anyone who went to Slane, or was a casual who attended the gig the previous night. Extensive Fireworks at the end of a Green Day gig V nothing at the end of Paradise City does not sit well

I went to the gigs in London 2017 and 2022 and what I noticed the most aside from the lack of pyro was how the lights had really been stepped up a few levels from 2017 to 2022.  I was really impressed by the lights and visuals.  If I had to pick which night I preferred I would have to choose 2022.  I also honestly didn't think I would get to see them again so very glad I was able to see them once more.

Edited by RnRHOFGNR