07/08/22 - Munich, DE - Olympiastadion

alfierose

5 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

Let's hope the damage vocal chords were minor from a throat infection or something that's mild and the DR'S have given Axl the all clear and the tour continues smoothly 🤞💪

Hopefully Dr prescribed using that lower register, more rasp and definately no Mickey.

Serious though must of been only minor sickness if they are going back to touring already 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingcanyon said:

because our number 1 insider Richard Fortus said that they nearly cancelled both London shows that's why

Not confirmed. There are numerous reports of Axl spitting and/or blowing his nose in previous shows.

Edited by ChrisMaciel

4 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

Out of interest where has it been confirmed that the Dublin show is where Axl got his sore throat from? It was hardly any different to any other show this year 🤷‍♂️

There is absolutely no confirmation on that, it's pure jumping to conclusions when in reality there could be any number of reasons why someones voice could go out. The level of rasp he used was pleasant but far from excessive or sounding harmful to his voice.

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I agree if the choice is between mickey or baritone, then baritone is obviously preferable.

I don't see how using the low voice is half-assing it. It still sounds recognizably like Axl Rose and it's not like he's just talking his way through the songs. IMO it would make the set stronger if he saved the high vocals and screams for just a few songs and do co-lead vocals on a few songs. Something like this would be fucking awesome:

Pretty Tied Up
Mr. Brownstone
You're Crazy (Slow)
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle (high vocals)
Bad Obsession
Estranged
Absurd
Civil War
So Fine (Axl & Duff)
Double Talkin' Jive
Sweet Child O' Mine (high vocals)
You Ain't The First (Axl & Duff)
Patience
Wichita Lineman / Used To Love Her
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
November Rain (high vocals at the end)
It's So Easy (high vocals at the end)
Locomotive (Axl & Melissa)
Down On The Farm / Slither
Perhaps
Nightrain
----------
Marseilles / Black Leather
Paradise City (high vocals)

I'd buy a ticket for that show in a heartbeat. They could definitely put on a good show with mostly low vocals, and spreading out the songs with high vocals would make them have more of an impact. Throw the occasional scream in there and it's a well-paced set.

It can be done, but I guess in this case I'd need to hear it to be swayed. There's just certain songs in the gnr catalogue the need the lift of the higher range at certain parts of the song. 

I know a lot of people here would just prefer the low range so mickey disappears and they can watch videos without driving sharp objects into their ears I just don't think it's the first place I'd go. Try drop the keys, try working with a coach to restrengthen the voice, do some rearranging of the set and sure sing some low and let the backing band take some weight. I don't think it's an all or nothing thing but I would wager that Axl does not want to be on stage and not capable of getting up into that range.

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It can be done, but I guess in this case I'd need to hear it to be swayed. There's just certain songs in the gnr catalogue the need the lift of the higher range at certain parts of the song. 

I know a lot of people here would just prefer the low range so mickey disappears and they can watch videos without driving sharp objects into their ears I just don't think it's the first place I'd go. Try drop the keys, try working with a coach to restrengthen the voice, do some rearranging of the set and sure sing some low and let the backing band take some weight. I don't think it's an all or nothing thing but I would wager that Axl does not want to be on stage and not capable of getting up into that range.

I think he'll regain his higher range, but he shouldn't use it as much going forward. Obviously songs like SCOM and WTTJ need the high vocals if they're playing to stadium crowds.

I've been saying it for a while, there's no reason to be playing Better or YCBM every night. Hardschool should be dropped, and if they want to replace it with another new song, release Perhaps (it would sound awesome with Duff and Melissa high in the mix during the chorus) or Ain't Goin' Down (I could imagine Axl and Melissa harmonizing well on this one).

I'm not saying he should use the low voice for everything, but if he wants to tour until he's like 70 or until he's physically unable to, then adapting to the baritone voice for most of the set is inevitable.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

You're smoking crack if you think people would be pleased if he just dropped his high range for the majority of the set. It is literally the main thing people think of other than Slash's guitar solos. 

this is very similar to how I see it. I want Axl to be active as a singer for as long as he possibly can, for years to come. But when I think about the main elements of what makes Gn'R- Gn'R to me, and I guess to a lot of other people, it's the banshee wail, the screaming piercing high notes and vocals. Melodies that would have never been as effective as they are if it wasn't for the way they are sung. It's not everything that makes Axl's voice special in Gn'R and the only reason for the tunes to be what they are, but it's a major part of it imo.

bariton in Gn'R can only go so far and even if Axl is 60, I don't think it's time to switch to only a low voice or remove singing high notes that are sung by Axl from songs that basically need it and in Gn'R there are a lot of those, if not most, at least for me.

not saying it can't sound good, Axl is a super talented singer with a unique timber, not only when he sings high notes or when it's raspy or in falsetto, but it sounds less like Gn'R to me when it's only/mostly low singing. 

most of the time he sings in a high register, a Gn'R staple. Can't pretend it will be the same when he can't do it anymore.

I don't think we're there yet anyway. I don't think we know enough to already decide it's time for Axl to change his whole approach to it. It's possible, but I think I'll give it more time and hear how he sounds like in the next year or so and then I'll be in a better position to decide if the way of the bariton/changing keys is the better way to go for Gn'R from now on. (for me personally)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

For me personally GNR is Axls voice, when I saw them in Dublin 2010, after the trouble when they came back on and he just stood in the same spot rest of the show I stood at the back of that arena in awe as those vocals ripped through the arena like a fucking chainsaw.

When I next saw them in Manchester 2012 the vocals didn’t rip through the arena the same, still moments here n there but I felt disappointed compared to 2010.

Then when I saw them in London 2017 however good to see slash back the vocals were nowhere close to 2010, still great moments here n there, I was surprised for though how different he sounded especially after the AC/DC shows.

Then the vocals on Friday night in London for me were not good, no rasp at all, even slash doesn’t sound like slash a lot of the time, I couldn’t believe really that I sort of felt like I preferred the 2010 version of GnR!

Might be selfish but I wanna here those vocals rip through me, I wanna here the screams, I wanna see the running, 60 isn’t old, he is still capable of doing it to good effect especially when it’s needed, for me if he were to sing the songs all lower register it takes away the energy, the low voice works for songs it was intended for, but for welcome to the jungle etc it needs full rasp, on friday night there was no rasp at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paulywauly said:

For me personally GNR is Axls voice, when I saw them in Dublin 2010, after the trouble when they came back on and he just stood in the same spot rest of the show I stood at the back of that arena in awe as those vocals ripped through the arena like a fucking chainsaw.

When I next saw them in Manchester 2012 the vocals didn’t rip through the arena the same, still moments here n there but I felt disappointed compared to 2010.

Then when I saw them in London 2017 however good to see slash back the vocals were nowhere close to 2010, still great moments here n there, I was surprised for though how different he sounded especially after the AC/DC shows.

Then the vocals on Friday night in London for me were not good, no rasp at all, even slash doesn’t sound like slash a lot of the time, I couldn’t believe really that I sort of felt like I preferred the 2010 version of GnR!

Might be selfish but I wanna here those vocals rip through me, I wanna here the screams, I wanna see the running, 60 isn’t old, he is still capable of doing it to good effect especially when it’s needed, for me if he were to sing the songs all lower register it takes away the energy, the low voice works for songs it was intended for, but for welcome to the jungle etc it needs full rasp, on friday night there was no rasp at all.

60 isn't old? I'm 41 years old and my voice sounds lower than it did when I was 20.

GNR is not only Axl's screaming, it's also Axl's attitude. And that - to me at least - reaches me a lot better when he's singing in an (somewhat angry) lower voice than when he sounds like friggin' Mickey Mouse, screeching like his balls got twisted or something.

But yeah, I liked Velvet Revolver. I liked Scott Weiland's singing. So maybe that's also why I like baritone Axl.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Alexmee239 said:

Mind giving a screenshot?

I started following Fortus on FB yesterday, and FB phone app started showing me a lot of his activity (as it always does with people you just added to your network). Turns out, Richard is VERY active on FB and leaves a lot of comments to various people's posts.

As these were his comments left in other folks' FB pages and meant specifically for them, I don't think it's quite right to grab them and put in the public eye. Mind you, there was no private or sensitive content, yet I don't want RF to feel that there's a Big Brother watching over his shoulder and tracking all his FB activity.

Suffice to say, he seems very upbeat about the remainder of the tour and was inviting his friends to the shows in Munich and Vienna specifically. I take it as a good sign! 

• Like 1