This does not seem like a band...

3 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

...but a bunch of folk who get together to make a couple of quid  singing their old songs now and again.  No reunion here but they are selling tickets and thats what matters I suppose.

I have been a fan for a year and been on the forum for the same amount of time,, the amount of posts have become a trickle, which is understanable as nothing happens,  and interestingly mostly men, just an observation.

You’re correct, it is mostly men. I never thought about it. 

The band has been a joke for far too long.

I bet they won't even manage to release the UYI reissue on time for the 30th anniversary, realistically they have 2 months left to announce that for a September release.

I did buy London tickets for July 2022 though :lol: :axl:

• Like 1

I don't think they truly have been able to work as a group successfully since Izzy left.  It is telling that the last true originally-penned recordings made in a traditional "band" situation were the albums Izzy was still there for (the Illusions)

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

The band has been a joke for far too long.

I bet they won't even manage to release the UYI reissue on time for the 30th anniversary, realistically they have 2 months left to announce that for a September release.

I did buy London tickets for July 2022 though :lol: :axl:

Well GNR and GNR management will have very little to do with the UYI anniversary release, so there's a solid chance that it appears this year... not a whole lot of point in releasing a 30th anniversary release if it doesn't fall on the 30th year, I think the label will manage to pull it off. Once it comes out before the end of this year it's on time, doesn't need to come out on the same date as the original UYI.

Had tickets for Lisbon 2020, got a refund... until I see signs of life I don't think I'm going to bother getting any more.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well GNR and GNR management will have very little to do with the UYI anniversary release, so there's a solid chance that it appears this year... not a whole lot of point in releasing a 30th anniversary release if it doesn't fall on the 30th year, I think the label will manage to pull it off. Once it comes out before the end of this year it's on time, doesn't need to come out on the same date as the original UYI.

Had tickets for Lisbon 2020, got a refund... until I see signs of life I don't think I'm going to bother getting any more.

I guess that's true about not necessarily needing to come out in September. November is a common release month, before Christmas. I wont hold my breath though!

I had Hamburg tickets for 2020 originally which I got refunded for, and I said I wouldn't rush to buy more tickets, but I couldn't resist when the rescheduled London dates were announced. London is only a half hour train journey for me. I certainly wouldn't buy tickets for a gig in a foreign country anytime soon.

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

I certainly wouldn't buy tickets for a gig in a foreign country anytime soon.

Aye, same. Fuck that nowadays. Beginning of the reunion though was different. Conversely I likely would still travel a decent distance to see AC/DC one last time. Would 100% travel for Tool and will do when they get back out there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Aye, same. Fuck that nowadays. Beginning of the reunion though was different. Conversely I likely would still travel a decent distance to see AC/DC one last time. Would 100% travel for Tool and will do when they get back out there.

Tool don't tour anywhere near enough. They are quality. They need to release a multi cam live bluray.

I couldn't really justify the ticket price to myself unless they do something new. I don't really see the point in seeing the same thing again and again with it being slightly less good each time. I'd rather have good memories. 

As far as them still being a band, that's entirely subjective I suppose. I'm gravitating towards thinking they aren't now really- they're almost like a theatre show where the cast turn up and do the same perfomance over and over and do so without too many issues, then go their seperate ways. But you don't go and see the same play over and over. 

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well GNR and GNR management will have very little to do with the UYI anniversary release, so there's a solid chance that it appears this year... not a whole lot of point in releasing a 30th anniversary release if it doesn't fall on the 30th year, I think the label will manage to pull it off.

The AFD box set (2018) would like a word with you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jackparker123 said:

I guess that's true about not necessarily needing to come out in September. November is a common release month, before Christmas. I wont hold my breath though!

I had Hamburg tickets for 2020 originally which I got refunded for, and I said I wouldn't rush to buy more tickets, but I couldn't resist when the rescheduled London dates were announced. London is only a half hour train journey for me. I certainly wouldn't buy tickets for a gig in a foreign country anytime soon.

Oh yeah that makes sense, I'd even go if it has was a half hour away (and someone brought me and paid for ticket, beers and food😁). For me it's 3hr drive plus staying over or driving home after so I'm just not arsed going until I see there's something happening

3 minutes ago, seely said:

The AFD box set (2018) would like a word with you!

🤣 in the gnr world there is always an opportunity around every corner to put your foot in your mouth

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

What if they release AFD '99 as a digital download. 

I'd pay money for that. Would be a nice bonus for all involved. 

And the vault while they are at it. 

Why not.

The legacy is already shagged, so won't change that.

And the expense is already incurred. 

So release it and get some money.

And satisfy the true fan base.

• Like 1

It sucks for fans who care, but they are a legacy/nostalgia band now. They exist now so people can go to the shows, drink and hear hits, some nerds like us can hear some deep cuts, and then everyone can say "I saw GNR". Its the same as any other big band their age. A new album would do zero culturally. A single or two would be played on rock stations for 6 months, nerds like us would talk about the album, and then it would be forgotten by the masses. They know that, so there is no reason for them to put in the effort in putting music out. If it was up to Slash or Duff, or anyone not named Axl, they would put stuff out for the novelty of it, but Axl does not seem interested in putting out music for the sake of it. It is far too late in their career to do anything relevant musically, and they probably missed that window by a good 15 years minimum. Velvet Revolver was an Indian summer. They are dinosaurs.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

It sucks for fans who care, but they are a legacy/nostalgia band now. They exist now so people can go to the shows, drink and hear hits, some nerds like us can hear some deep cuts, and then everyone can say "I saw GNR". Its the same as any other big band their age. A new album would do zero culturally. A single or two would be played on rock stations for 6 months, nerds like us would talk about the album, and then it would be forgotten by the masses. They know that, so there is no reason for them to put in the effort in putting music out. If it was up to Slash or Duff, or anyone not named Axl, they would put stuff out for the novelty of it, but Axl does not seem interested in putting out music for the sake of it. It is far too late in their career to do anything relevant musically, and they probably missed that window by a good 15 years minimum. Velvet Revolver was an Indian summer. They are dinosaurs.

They probably, at a minimum, have 2-3 catchy tunes that the mainstream people would tote around from a new album.

4 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Couple of bands you can depend on as far as travelling. Top of the list is Metallica, I'd happily travel anywhere to see them because I know they'll be pretty much on form! With gnr they could be 10/10 one day and -10 the next.... the only thing I'll say is at least you know they'll show up and be on time these days. 

1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

What i am wondering: How does become a fan of gnr in 2020?

I think it's still happening that young fans discover afd and uyi without any knowledge of the the other 30yrs so that's easy to fall in love.

• Like 1