NITL’s been great for different reasons IMHO. Not so much the band (more of a carefully constructed touring “machine” than anything)- but a “victory” for the classic material’s legacy. Playing stadiums night after night in the US put to bed the whole “grunge killed GNR” thing- at least in the sense of what Kurt wanted- which was for the public to so categorically reject GNR that they’d be erased from history. Didn’t happen. The classic tunes, and Axl/Slash star power withstood the test of time. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Axl said in the spring of 2014 that they were going to start looking seriously on releasing a new album after the Vegas shows in June. Before that, he had been very vague about the follow-up to CD - a

I really hate the "oh it will never have the impact of AFD, so why bother with new material" excuse/argument. There aren't any other bands that do this, and it's utterly ludicrous.  Imagine if yo

...but a bunch of folk who get together to make a couple of quid  singing their old songs now and again.  No reunion here but they are selling tickets and thats what matters I suppose. I have bee

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

We better not expect too much from this, if it even comes out at all. I just can't see that we will get something great from this "band" these days.

Hear ya. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything- which is a bummer b/c the Illusions are my all-time favorite records (any artist).

Appetite was a no-brainer. Illusions are complicated- and tend (IMHO) to generate more ambivalent feelings from the band, fans, media, etc. I also think the bigger “happenings” of that era were the Tour and Music Videos- but that starts shining light on Matt, Gilby, riots, Steph, etc. Could totally see everyone just saying “screw it”- or maybe  slapping together a remaster 2.0 or something (and even there have to wonder if the band/label really wants “Back Off Bitch”, “Pretty Tied  Up”, etc. going out in 2021).

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
On 5/7/2021 at 1:47 PM, fabrph5 said:

100%!!!   I never understood this one either.  I dont see AC/DC, KISS, Metallica, Poison, you name the band, worrying about stupid stuff like that.  They should be at the point where they are releasing it for the fans and for the love of making music.  Nothing will touch AFD, and I think we all know that and dont expect it

Actually that's the exact attitude Kiss has these days. Paul Stanley says he doesn't see the point because it won't have the impact of older stuff:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/paul-stanley-says-he-doesnt-see-a-reason-for-kiss-to-record-new-music-2905306

Meanwhile Gene Simmons basically said he doesn't see the point because file sharing means it won't make enough money

They’re a nostalgia act who’s cashing in on the reunion. That’s whether they release new music or not. People come out to hear songs that were written 30yrs ago 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

They’re a nostalgia act who’s cashing in on the reunion. That’s whether they release new music or not. People come out to hear songs that were written 30yrs ago 

Well, if they release new music, put the new music upfront like they did on the UYI and CD tours then it gives them some legitimacy as a "vital" band. You're not a nostalgia act just because you play your old songs, you are a nostalgia act if you ONLY play your old songs. 

Like, I think Guns were clearly over the line on the NITL tour, but they were still playing a bunch of Chinese songs too, and lord knows the majority of the crowd didn't know them... so that to me suggests a band that isn't completely settled on the idea of 'just' trading on what was.... clearly they need to release something good and support it before I'd consider not calling them out for what they currently are though.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Actually that's the exact attitude Kiss has these days. Paul Stanley says he doesn't see the point because it won't have the impact of older stuff:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/paul-stanley-says-he-doesnt-see-a-reason-for-kiss-to-record-new-music-2905306

Meanwhile Gene Simmons basically said he doesn't see the point because file sharing means it won't make enough money

Coming from a band who has released way more records and can make money selling a blade of grass.  

On 5/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, DoMw94 said:

I think kiss is slightly different though. They are all 70+, not 56-59 like GnR, and they released 20 studio albums, plus another 20 live/compilation albums. I'd also say their style of rock is very dated for todays audience, even though I love them, whereas slash is still popular and Axl probably has songs covering 20 genres in the locker.

Their two main reasons were, no one would listen, and they wouldn't make any money. GnR would 100% sell records and make money, and their are lots of people who definitely would still listen. 

I hate the argument that new music wouldn't be as popular as Appetite and UYI. No it probably wouldn't. Imagine (pun intended) if John Lennon decided he'd never top the Beatles so why bother writing more music? It's just a poor cop out. Write the songs, release the ones you think are good, tour them and repeat until you are done. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I think kiss is slightly different though. They are all 70+, not 56-59 like GnR, and they released 20 studio albums, plus another 20 live/compilation albums. I'd also say their style of rock is very dated for todays audience, even though I love them, whereas slash is still popular and Axl probably has songs covering 20 genres in the locker.

Their two main reasons were, no one would listen, and they wouldn't make any money. GnR would 100% sell records and make money, and their are lots of people who definitely would still listen. 

I hate the argument that new music wouldn't be as popular as Appetite and UYI. No it probably wouldn't. Imagine (pun intended) if John Lennon decided he'd never top the Beatles so why bother writing more music? It's just a poor cop out. Write the songs, release the ones you think are good, tour them and repeat until you are done. 

Exactly anyone still beating the "it won't be as relevant as AFD and UYI, so what's the point" drum needs to get a fucking grip. 

I'd point out that Metallica released Hardwired and to their surprise they ended up being able to play stadiums in America and the album had a huge appeal with a younger audience. Nobody would have thought that 35yrs in they'd have an album that was as popular as that. What reason is there that GNR can't have a similar success? 

Now... Metallica have been consistently on the road, performing well and consistently building their audience live and on-line thanks to the band and their management. GNR have toured the legs off the band, but what else have they done? not a whole lot... so that's probably going to be an issue... BUT, GNR are so secretive and Axl is so off the radar that IF they do anything it's news and IF Axl decided to do an interview that's weeks of news. It doesn't take a genius to work out how to market GNR for a pretty successful album release... assuming the music is quality.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Exactly anyone still beating the "it won't be as relevant as AFD and UYI, so what's the point" drum needs to get a fucking grip. 

I'd point out that Metallica released Hardwired and to their surprise they ended up being able to play stadiums in America and the album had a huge appeal with a younger audience. Nobody would have thought that 35yrs in they'd have an album that was as popular as that. What reason is there that GNR can't have a similar success? 

Now... Metallica have been consistently on the road, performing well and consistently building their audience live and on-line thanks to the band and their management. GNR have toured the legs off the band, but what else have they done? not a whole lot... so that's probably going to be an issue... BUT, GNR are so secretive and Axl is so off the radar that IF they do anything it's news and IF Axl decided to do an interview that's weeks of news. It doesn't take a genius to work out how to market GNR for a pretty successful album release... assuming the music is quality.

Hardwired is probably my 3rd or 4th favourite Metallica album. Their best since the black album. They're a great example of a band who interact with the fans, tour regularly and release new music They're hardly prolific these last 17 years or so, but still released 3 albums. GnR are a bit of a joke in comparison. 

People who defend GnRs lack of new music, with the relevance or popularity argument, eurgh, morons. Bands release music. End of.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Hardwired is probably my 3rd or 4th favourite Metallica album. Their best since the black album. They're a great example of a band who interact with the fans, tour regularly and release new music They're hardly prolific these last 17 years or so, but still released 3 albums. GnR are a bit of a joke in comparison. 

People who defend GnRs lack of new music, with the relevance or popularity argument, eurgh, morons. Bands release music. End of.

I loved hardwired but the solos were naff. Load is my favourite then hardwired, then reload and then death magnetic... death magnetic would be higher if the sound wasn't atrocious. St anger clearly at the bottom of the heap.

Let's see what gnr say or do with these upcoming oz/nz dates... I don't really like the demo of hsrdschool but I'd shit my pants if looney tunes plays and then they cut right into Hardschool. Think the rock media internet would explode too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Metallica plays shitty drunken redneck music.

Are you for real? GNR are like top 3 most redneck rock bands out there🤣 my god🤣 I'll take Metallica and their "redneck" music any day of the week over gnr that don't release fuck all, but whatever floats your boat partner!🤠 

48 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Are you for real? GNR are like top 3 most redneck rock bands out there🤣 my god🤣 I'll take Metallica and their "redneck" music any day of the week over gnr that don't release fuck all, but whatever floats your boat partner!🤠 

I hear Hetfield singing something like Ain't My Bitch or Fuel and I just picture some redneck driving around in a pickup with a confederate tattoo chugging Jack Daniels singing. Can't help it.

37 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I hear Hetfield singing something like Ain't My Bitch or Fuel and I just picture some redneck driving around in a pickup with a confederate tattoo chugging Jack Daniels singing. Can't help it.

Don't get me wrong, Metallica have a huge fanbase and some of those are definitely meatheads going "HELL YEAH!!!" smashing beer cans on their heads... but there's a whole other side that are regular balanced music fans... mainly because Metallica have a lot more to offer than the songs like Ain't my bitch, don't tread on me, fuel etc.. GNR have all those fans  too "Wooohoo!! Yeah you tell her Axl!!! back off bitch!!". 

• GNFNR 1
3 hours ago, alfierose said:

Overall the forum has always had more male posters but when the reunion was first announced and got underway it brought a load of women to the forum.

That's how the Women's Threads in The Jungle  section got going - some of of our male members were not happy with their D&N serious stuff conversations being peppered with fan girls who wanted to talk hair, clothes, wives & girlfriends and the biggest no no - SLAXL talk! :rofl-lol:

Sadly 5 years later most have gone or only pop in occasionally, I don't blame them because it's not like there's anything to discuss. The Women's Threads could be a massive pain in the ass to moderate at the height of reunion forum traffic but I kind of miss the buzz now.

Even a lot of the men are MIA currently.

That said if by some miracle an album does drop you'll see it's like flipping a switch and the forum will spring back to life again for a period of time. :)

What's MIA means?

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 2:28 AM, Ixtlan said:

You’re correct, it is mostly men. I never thought about it. 

Even when the band was at its peak between the late 80's and early 90's it was mostly men. Most of the girls were just rock-star worshiping.

And with songs like It's So Easy and Back of Bitch, it's absolutely no wonder why.

Edited by Nintari
13 hours ago, alfierose said:

Overall the forum has always had more male posters but when the reunion was first announced and got underway it brought a load of women to the forum.

That's how the Women's Threads in The Jungle  section got going - some of of our male members were not happy with their D&N serious stuff conversations being peppered with fan girls who wanted to talk hair, clothes, wives & girlfriends and the biggest no no - SLAXL talk! :rofl-lol:

Sadly 5 years later most have gone or only pop in occasionally, I don't blame them because it's not like there's anything to discuss. The Women's Threads could be a massive pain in the ass to moderate at the height of reunion forum traffic but I kind of miss the buzz now.

Even a lot of the men are MIA currently.

That said if by some miracle an album does drop you'll see it's like flipping a switch and the forum will spring back to life again for a period of time. :)

*Vietnam flashback* :lol:

• Haha 1
On 5/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, Free Bird said:

The first two years of NILT were great.

It could have been better with a full reunion or even with Matt instead of Adler and Axl should have been in better shape of course.

But all in all it was an extremely exciting time. The audience was mostly blown away based on the comments and if I'm not mistaken this forum was a very peaceful place with very satisfied users at this time. That says a lot.

I'm happy that I was able to see Axl, Slash and Duff on the same stage and to me that was better than anything that happened to this band since Axl took control in the mid 90s.

It was the lack of new music and the fucking management that turned this into a joke as time went by.

But still, I don't wanna miss any of the shows I attended in 2017.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, WhazUp said:

When it was announced I would argue that excitement in 2016 was super amazing and the high point of it all!  2016 as a whole in my opinion was a great year for GNR - Axl sounded good (even though he was even better in AC/DC), you had the Slash and Duff factor back, these huge grand scale shows, etc. 

From my perspective the fan excitement levels were huge and I haven't seen as much sheer positivity since probably 2008 during the "CD coming out / Axl chats" era of the forum and fandom

To me, late 2017 going into 2018 was where I started becoming more and more disillusioned with the band.  Realizing the momentum they built in 2016 was not going to be utilized, the setlists were not going to change too drastically, and no material was in sight.  Along with Axl's voice starting to get less with each year after 2016

Yeah I agree, after 2017 it just got worse and worse. Only high points were the addition of other songs like SOYL, Locomotive, Dead Horse, etc, but at the point the band was too bored to really make them exciting.

• GNFNR 1