VMA 2002 Rehearsals

6 minutes ago, vloors said:

I thought that was fortus? I may be wrong

Better existed as 3 Dollar Pyramid before Fortus was in the band. Early Better instrumentals leaked with the Village stuff from the early '00s in 2019.

Robin is also given credit, along with Axl on that song.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vloors said:

Robin was just a touring/studio session player for Trent who wrote pretty much everything. Not sure how much input tommy had on the replacements though. Never liked their band.

What have either done after their CD periods? Not much other than tour.

I do remember at one time Robin was supposed to do a solo record but that idea must of been shelved.

Yeah I remember that interview with Ultimate Guitar back in 2014(?) and I was so stoked to hear he was working on a solo record. Would absolutely love to hear it some day.

• Like 1

Robin Finck made some of the best music in the Ghosts Of Mars soundtrack. His revisions and versions of NIN songs are second to none. Sure Trent WRITES the music but he’s always said that it’s about how it’s INTERPRETED and that they feel the music.

Plus the guy looked like a fucking monk marionette then came back as….Jesus.

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I don't really know why I just really want to see it

Why!? It's a rehearsal tape from a shocking performance which was rightly ridiculed throughout the media and the fanbase! I think the only rehearsal I've watched was the Led Zep O2 gig.  It was good. But so was the main gig!

3 hours ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Robin Finck made some of the best music in the Ghosts Of Mars soundtrack. His revisions and versions of NIN songs are second to none. Sure Trent WRITES the music but he’s always said that it’s about how it’s INTERPRETED and that they feel the music.

Plus the guy looked like a fucking monk marionette then came back as….Jesus.

Did Robin ever record with NIN? Probably a dumb question, I know he tours with them all the time.

I listed to The Downward Spiral a lot.

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Did Robin ever record with NIN? Probably a dumb question, I know he tours with them all the time.

Not much, but he did record couple of songs with NIN over the years. Memorabilia, cover of Soft Cell from Closer to God single. The Day The World Went Away, acoustic version from Still EP and pretty much whole The Slip free album from '08.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steff_66 said:

Not much, but he did record couple of songs with NIN over the years. Memorabilia, cover of Soft Cell from Closer to God single. The Day The World Went Away, acoustic version from Still EP and pretty much whole The Slip free album from '08.

Also uncredited on a lot of Marilyn Manson early work where some of the band weren’t “up to par” with what Trent wanted and what MM himself wanted. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The thing that people don’t get about NIN, unless you’re a super die-hard is that it’s never about the recordings that much with Trent, it was about the live experience. Ilan Rubin said years ago how Trent just said “do what you feel like” and to this day he’s the only drummer capable of The Perfect Drug live because Trent trusted him. Same with Robin. His interpretations of Only, The Hand That Feeds and so many other songs show his versatility. Versatility that Axl I think didn’t take full advantage of. 

At the very least I’m hoping there’s a shit ton of Robin & Bucket material we haven’t heard. The other demo that Robin wrote was a cool sounding track and if it was fleshed out I think it would have been great.

27 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Versatility that Axl I think didn’t take full advantage of.

Well he did insist on having 3 bloody guitarists in the band during this period so successfully managed to dilute any versatility any of the players had.

Here's a thought... it'll be the 20th anniversary of the circus cluster fuck of a performance next year. And with it being so highly revered within the fanbase and the media alike, perhaps it's time for Axl to bring back cornrows, oversized football jerseys, the pork pie hat, and the baggy sports trousers for a re-run of this event!? Perhaps a DVD chronicling the rehearsal and the performance, along with an isolated Chris Pitman subbass mix! 

• Haha 1

I know on the Appetite for Distortion podcast, multiple people over the years mentioned that Axl apparently crushed it during the rehearsals, even if the actual performance proved underwhelming. Also, there would be a curiosity factor to it all as well. Think of how little we've seen Axl rehearsing with the band; particularly that lineup. It would be insightful just to see the interaction between all the band members at that time. 

Regardless, definitely not something anyone needs to pay for, but if this leaked, I might consider it my "peace out" token, and only pay attention to the band if/when it releases new music. When the House of Blues show dropped out of the blue (another one of my "holy grail" items), it kickstarted my belief that anything could drop at any time.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, 19AT5 said:

But you actually know what was. It was a fucking car crash! 

Yeah, but if his voice is good shape there (as was rumored), the performance itself might have been stronger. Also I love this era of Guns and wish it lasted longer, was managed better, that the record company let Axl put CD out around this time like he wanted, touring behind an actual album instead of forcing the general public to accept the band on old songs, maybe the press and fans being more accepting of the whole thing.

Again, what might have been. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, themadcaplaughs said:

I know on the Appetite for Distortion podcast, multiple people over the years mentioned that Axl apparently crushed it during the rehearsals, even if the actual performance proved underwhelming. Also, there would be a curiosity factor to it all as well. Think of how little we've seen Axl rehearsing with the band; particularly that lineup. It would be insightful just to see the interaction between all the band members at that time. 

Regardless, definitely not something anyone needs to pay for, but if this leaked, I might consider it my "peace out" token, and only pay attention to the band if/when it releases new music. When the House of Blues show dropped out of the blue (another one of my "holy grail" items), it kickstarted my belief that anything could drop at any time.

I see Axl and the gang three days before the VMA debacle (at the Docklands Arena, London). And they were in very good form.

IIRC, just before that they did two festival shows in Europe the weekend prior, and shortly before that a coupe of shows in Asia. All well received (at least by fans). Maybe the peaked too soon and was tired and overwrought by the time they got to the biggest stage (the VMAs). This was, after all, his first attempt at any sort of touring in nearly a decade.

26 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I will never ever ever understand why people care about this.

As others have said - maybe because it offers a glimpse of what might have been. In other words, if the actual VMA performance was in the same class as the rehearsal is supposed to be, maybe that version of GnR could have been a legit commercial and artistic entity. 

Alas, with a few laboured breaths on a live, global TV show, Axl blew away any chance he had of this lineup gaining acceptance.

Showbiz is a rough old game.

• Like 1

I seem to remember seeing a very brief clip of this somewhere. Axl was giving it to someone over the sound and seemed in a foul mood.

I’ve also heard the rehearsal was better than the actual performance. Axl got out of breath real quick during the performance.

Was it during the Eddie Trunk radio interview that Axl gave an explanation for the VMA performance? He said something like, he was a bit late (shocking!) so he literally had to run from his trailer to the stage, which is why he was out of breath.

As he was running to the stage, some guy yelled "there goes Kid Rock!" :lol:

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 4:09 AM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Technically speaking. Technically and based on talent alone, that was the best incarnation of the band. Shame Axl gassed himself to fuck. 

Was Josh Freese in the band during this time? 

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Was it during the Eddie Trunk radio interview that Axl gave an explanation for the VMA performance? He said something like, he was a bit late (shocking!) so he literally had to run from his trailer to the stage, which is why he was out of breath.

As he was running to the stage, some guy yelled "there goes Kid Rock!" :lol:

Axl always has excuses but is always the cause of the problem.

• Like 1