VMA 2002 Rehearsals

13 hours ago, Arnuld said:

I was at the show on the 29th. His hair did have a couple of braids but it was nothing like the 02 predator look. Axl actually looked amazing. He looked almost exactly like he looked in 1991/1992. I was actually shocked when took the stage. I did not expect classic Axl Rose to walk on stage but that’s what we got. As far as his voice it was very good. It was not as good as it was in 2006 or 2010 but it was damn close. That lineup was absolutely bonkers. Brain had a fucking Mohawk at the time, Tommy looked like a Sid Vicious impersonator, Robin looked like an Alien, Paul Tobias looked like a detached alcoholic with a beard, Dizzy had dreads, Bucket looked like a Halloween character freak, and then you had vintage Axl Rose with a couple of braids. They played Oh My God, Silkworms, Madagascar, Chinese, and the Blues plus almost all of appetite and the hits from the illusions. I have to this day never been more excited at a show and I have been to a shit ton of shows. 

Wich show was that? 

13 hours ago, Arnuld said:

I was at the show on the 29th. His hair did have a couple of braids but it was nothing like the 02 predator look. Axl actually looked amazing. He looked almost exactly like he looked in 1991/1992. I was actually shocked when took the stage. I did not expect classic Axl Rose to walk on stage but that’s what we got. As far as his voice it was very good. It was not as good as it was in 2006 or 2010 but it was damn close. That lineup was absolutely bonkers. Brain had a fucking Mohawk at the time, Tommy looked like a Sid Vicious impersonator, Robin looked like an Alien, Paul Tobias looked like a detached alcoholic with a beard, Dizzy had dreads, Bucket looked like a Halloween character freak, and then you had vintage Axl Rose with a couple of braids. They played Oh My God, Silkworms, Madagascar, Chinese, and the Blues plus almost all of appetite and the hits from the illusions. I have to this day never been more excited at a show and I have been to a shit ton of shows. 

Wasn't that the show where Tommy sang most of Oh My God, because they were having lots of technical/sound issues?

Those 2001 shows at the Joint are definitely some of the most intriguing in the bands history... I'd take bootlegs of those shows over anything from any other era tbh.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wasn't that the show where Tommy sang most of Oh My God, because they were having lots of technical/sound issues?

Those 2001 shows at the Joint are definitely some of the most intriguing in the bands history... I'd take bootlegs of those shows over anything from any other era tbh.

I'd love to hear this. Also the last 2 times that song was performed live. Axl from 2002 on would probably die if he tried to sing it. Also fun to note that Silkworms was technically performed live in 2002.

Edited by mystery

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Robin was the one who actually sang the end of Oh my God. Axl had walked off the stage. When the song ended Robin slammed his guitar down and walked off stage. I was convinced that was going to be the end of the show. Axl came back out a minute later and said that of course they were having sound trouble at the first show he had asked to do since 1991. Then they immediately ripped into think about you. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 4:25 AM, goodtimes8inity said:

Heard this story.  Believe he was stuck in NYC traffic, so ran down the streets to the venue?

Definitely remember the part about Kid Rock!

Funny how no one else ever runs late. Rest of the band and the crew always makes it on time

8 hours ago, mystery said:

Technically the HOB show was supposed to be December 31, 2000 but started in the New Year. Think it's interesting how they had 2 sets of shows bookend 2001.

I think the original plan was to do an extensive European tour that summer of 01 and it got canceled. My guess is that North America was probably tentatively planned for the fall and also got canceled. 

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

I think the original plan was to do an extensive European tour that summer of 01 and it got canceled. 

Correct. 

More here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t5186-22-november-1999-january-2001-lineup-turmoil-but-a-triumphal-return#20689

Axl would later claim he had not been involved in the planning of the tour, which got cancelled, and Doug Goldstein fell on his sword over it:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5364-23-january-2001-november-2002-richard-replaces-paul-touring-starts#21423

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Arnuld said:

I think the original plan was to do an extensive European tour that summer of 01 and it got canceled. My guess is that North America was probably tentatively planned for the fall and also got canceled. 

Had tickets for rock am Ring 2001 where gnr were supposed to play. Was so devastated when they cancelled. And to make things worse, I think either limp Bizkit or Linkin Park played a horrible version of the scom riff.

Edited by StayofExecution2020

1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Had tickets for rock am Ring 2001 where gnr were supposed to play. Was so devastated when they cancelled. And to make things worse, I think either limp Bizkit or Linkin Park played a horrible version of the scom riff.

Are you sure it wasn't Ashba? Haha just kidding.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

That's some insult to injury there. :lol: