Most Appetite sounding song on Chinese?

What do you think is the most appetite sounding song on Chinese?

It’s a completely different album in so many ways. Attitude, execution etc 

id say IRS has the sleaziest sort of vibe to it in terms of groove and attitude, not so much the lyrics but the overall vibe.

thoughts?

• Like 1

I wouldn't say there is an AFD sounding overall song on CD. I will say that Riad's 1st verse riff is very AFD. The overall song however is not. The chorus is great, but not AFD at all because its not just a basic power chord being played (before BBF played on it). 1st verse is cool. 2nd verse sounds not so good, and outro is just pretty much a jam with no structure.

IRS has a definite groove to it so id agree with it. Axls delivery is great. Id say that the Antiquiet version of the song with only Brain on drums is far sleazier than the album version bc Brain had an Adler esque simplicity on the part before the 1st solo.

As for the rest, no AFD-ness in sight bc they aren't typical blues based hard rock/rock n roll type songs most of AFD was.

Given my limited knowledge of the names for genres for the other guitar centric songs, with taking into account when they were written (not released):

CD - 90s Alternative Rock 

Shacklers - Metal (Nu/Funk Metal/Heavy)

Better - unsure, i dont think its industrial or Nu enough to classify it as either. Groovy shit tho.. Ill say just Hard Rock

Scraped - (Groove Metal/Heavy)

State of Grace - Industrial verses, but grunge like soundgarden-y chorus

Atlas Shrugged - Pearl Jam grunge

The other songs aren't seemingly guitar oriented so I won't include them (Including TWAT, which seems to be based on the piano progression being played, rather than the guitars)

Edited by Mendez

17 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Better?

I think Silkworms and Oh My God would have fit well on AFD. 

Silkworms has rightly never been released! Pure nonsense. I actually love Oh My God as a track. Likely one of my fave GNR songs. But sounds fuck all like Appetite. Street Of Dreams could've been on the Illusions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

The thing that makes me hate the entire CD era is the lack of guitar driven songs.

There isn’t a memorable riff on CD

Maybe not a memorable intro riff (better would argue with that), but there are definitely great memorable riffs on the album. Like the break down section in Better has a great riff, simple but right on the money. 

Shacklers has a very memorable intro riff (great alarm clock song). The verse riff is also slithery like a current day Slash riff.

The SOD piano riff is beautiful. Doesn't have to be guitar based riffing.

The riff is in the verse of scraped is great, used in the right song and it could have been monstrous! It's still an OK song, but a bit forgettable.

Anyway point is there's plenty of good riffs. It is light on that monstrous WTTJ style catchy riffs though... but it's an entirely different style record to AFD. Anyway you don't like it, fair enough just pointing a few I think are good/great

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mendez said:

I wouldn't say there is an AFD sounding overall song on CD. I will say that Riad's 1st verse riff is very AFD. The overall song however is not. The chorus is great, but not AFD at all because its not just a basic power chord being played (before BBF played on it). 1st verse is cool. 2nd verse sounds not so good, and outro is just pretty much a jam with no structure.

IRS has a definite groove to it so id agree with it. Axls delivery is great. Id say that the Antiquiet version of the song with only Brain on drums is far sleazier than the album version bc Brain had an Adler esque simplicity on the part before the 1st solo.

As for the rest, no AFD-ness in sight bc they aren't typical blues based hard rock/rock n roll type songs most of AFD was.

Given my limited knowledge of the names for genres for the other guitar centric songs, with taking into account when they were written (not released):

CD - 90s Alternative Rock 

Shacklers - Metal (Nu/Funk Metal/Heavy)

Better - unsure, i dont think its industrial or Nu enough to classify it as either. Groovy shit tho.. Ill say just Hard Rock

Scraped - (Groove Metal/Heavy)

State of Grace - Industrial verses, but grunge like soundgarden-y chorus

Atlas Shrugged - Pearl Jam grunge

The other songs aren't seemingly guitar oriented so I won't include them (Including TWAT, which seems to be based on the piano progression being played, rather than the guitars)

Atlas sounds exactly like a Pearl Jam song off the album no code.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Guitar-wise I guess Rhiad comes the closest, but none of the songs sound like they're trying to recapture AFD... which is a good thing!

That's what I think whenever I hear people trying to compare AFD and CD. 

CD isn't trying to be AFD and I'm very grateful for that. GN'R already made AFD, so there's no need to make the same record again. 

• Like 4

Nothing on Chinese democracy sounds like AFD. Polar opposites in every way. Which isn't surprising given it's a different band. However, I could definitely imagine Street of dreams and IRS on the Illusion albums. This I love would probably fit too, though nothing in GnRs original catalogue sounds anything like TiL. What surprises me most is I don't think they've played SoD or IRS since the reunion, when they're probably the ones that would suit them most with Better and Chi Dem. I thought This I love with Slash would be great, but he murdered it. When Axls voice went by 2017 the song was far beyond salvageable in a live setting. 

On 5/8/2021 at 11:16 AM, jacdaniel said:

The thing that makes me hate the entire CD era is the lack of guitar driven songs.

There isn’t a memorable riff on CD

That's something I realized too - GNR were always a "fun" guitar sounding band.  Appetite is what got me into playing guitar when I was 11/12 just because Slash and Izzy made guitar playing sound so much damn fun (and it is!)

There is lots of guitar on Chinese, but no real riffs that will make a kid like me go "now THAT is awesome, whatever that is I want to do it" like the intro to Jungle, or SCOM, Paradise City, etc. 

• Like 1

It's difficult to capture the Appetite sound without the duality of Slash vs. Izzy as well as Adler's trademark loose drumming. To quote Izzy, Adler's  "sense of swing was the push and pull that gives the songs their feel."

That isn't to say Chinese Democracy lacks songs that could have been on Appetite, but they would have been structured entirely different. "IRS," and "Riad" and "Better" all come to mind. Even "Chinese Democracy," which is a bit more alt-rock, but was a lot grungier in its early form.

I know people have been saying it for years, but Chinese was sort of the evolution of Appetite and the Illusion records. I can point to many songs: "Street of Dreams," "There was a Time," "Madagascar," "Catcher in the Rye," that are grandiose and lean more into opera rock. I know people said the record lacks guiitar riffs, but it doesn't lack guitars-driven songs. There are some great solos on Chinese Democracy and some amazing codas, which is a staple of GNR.

• Like 1