I JUST HEARD HARD SCHOOL FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

32 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I have heard this record being talked about so much and now I have finally got to hear it and it is simply brilliant!  Why was this not released or played live, it seems such a waste.

It wasn't released cause they were saving great songs for the next record I guess. It probably didn't fit the tone of Chinese Democracy in Axl's opinion or something.

They were supposed to play the song live but then we got corona. But there's a clip out there of the band rehearsing the song.

Edited by Lies They Tell

It was rehearsed in late 2019, then again before the Mexico show in 2020. I'll be interested to hear how much it differs to the leaked version. I'm not a fan of Slash and Duff's handiwork on Better, so hopefully they can win me round with Hardschool - I love that intro though and it appears to have been chopped. 

1 hour ago, Dean said:

It was rehearsed in late 2019, then again before the Mexico show in 2020. I'll be interested to hear how much it differs to the leaked version. I'm not a fan of Slash and Duff's handiwork on Better, so hopefully they can win me round with Hardschool - I love that intro though and it appears to have been chopped. 

I didn't know that! I assumed the first "confirmed" rehearsal was the Mexico show?

19 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

I didn't know that! I assumed the first "confirmed" rehearsal was the Mexico show?

I don't think it's confirmed; IIRC someone just said they've "heard it", if I'm not mistaken?

14 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Why u waited so much time to hear the song???

Actually, a smart move! Expecting there's gonna be fuck all for the few years to come, at least she now has a couple of new exciting songs to listen to. What do we have? :unsure:

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

In terms of audible proof, Mexico is all we have, however the fella that claimed this happened has been part of the community for decades and many would claim to be a reputable source!

Fucking edit your very misleading title.

This thread:

HARD SCHOOL FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

It'd be nice eh?

P.S. Yes it's a promising song think it has potential and will sound better in the final mix we'll hopefully get to hear this century.

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Haha 1

• downzy changed the title to I JUST HEARD HARD SCHOOL FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!
2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Fucking edit your very misleading title.

This thread:

HARD SCHOOL FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

It'd be nice eh?

P.S. Yes it's a promising song think it has potential and will sound better in the final mix we'll hopefully get to hear this century.

Sorry Oldest Goat, got a bit carried away there and with the caps:unsure:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, superloconoriega said:

who plays in this song?

Axl on vocals, Brain on drums. Lead guitar is presumably Robin, perhaps and/or Paul Tobias too, who likely plays rhythm. Bass is Tommy. 

Towards the end, I swear I hear a little Buckethead too.

7 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I have heard this record being talked about so much and now I have finally got to hear it and it is simply brilliant!  Why was this not released or played live, it seems such a waste.

If only there were already a thread to discuss leaks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

It wasn't released cause they were saving great songs for the next record I guess. It probably didn't fit the tone of Chinese Democracy in Axl's opinion or something.

Nah, I don't think the 'saving the big guns for later' thing is necessarily true (and I don't think Hardschool is a big gun, either). Seems like the leaks determined the tracklist more than anything else.

Lies They Tell: Hi Axl! Chinese Democracy awesome, but it's a pretty ballady album compared to previous GNR albums. Is this the new direction of GNR or will some of the future GNR albums be more focused on hard rocking songs again?

Axl: What I know is it's the record that was able to get through the red tape and get itself out there while helping friends, loved ones and myself along the way. The whole ballad or rocker thing has never been something I've ever cared too much about. There's some meaner sections ahead but a particular focus once there were a few of the newer guys together was to bring a bit more beauty into our efforts.

I've been told 2008's CD was more or less a "sampler" between the two albums as far as types of music and style goes. So that means they didn't put all of their best on the 2008 album.

Who knows what form the next album (CD2, or whatever) will take, at this point. The above would have probably been true if we got the album between 2009-14

Well... If the best it isn't on Chinese, we haven't heard the best yet!! It 's definitely not on the leaks.  

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Axl on vocals, Brain on drums. Lead guitar is presumably Robin, perhaps and/or Paul Tobias too, who likely plays rhythm. Bass is Tommy. 

Towards the end, I swear I hear a little Buckethead too.

I don't think It's Brain if its about the same time the other leaks were. More likely to be Josh.

7 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

It wasn't released cause they were saving great songs for the next record I guess.

If the greats were supposed to be on the next, we haven't heard any song of the next record yet! Definitely it wasn't on the leak either

2 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Well... If the best it isn't on Chinese, we haven't heard the best yet!! It 's definitely not on the leaks.  

I don't think It's Brain if its about the same time the other leaks were. More likely to be Josh.

If the greats were supposed to be on the next, we haven't heard any song of the next record yet! Definitely it wasn't on the leak either

State of Grace and Perhaps have the potential to be great in finished form, but there's also a very good chance they've become cluttered, overproduced disasters... I hate to think what Atlas might've sounded like had it been released in 2008. There were some very good instrumentals in the Village leaks, too. (Soul Monster, Oklahoma, Zodiac, Dummy)

• Like 1

I don't think they were great... Maybe good... But they are far away to be commercially successfull or radio friendly.

I believe all the excitement it's because it was new material after some many years... After some time and a cold listen you understand why they weren't on the final album... And maybe the reason there were no CD 2

I love Hard School, I think it's fucking brilliant. Still can't find out what the hell the guitars are doing during the verses, but it sounds awesome to me. Also love the intro as well as the short and simple guitar solo. Top Axl vocals too (yes, also the verses). So glad we have that recording, I'll never forget how it felt to hear it for the first time! 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

The song is a definite banger. I'm looking forward to hearing a new version with Duff and Slash. It just doesn't seem complete to me. 

As to why it was never released or played live? Why else? W. Axl Rose.

A lot of GNR fans were looking forward to the Mexico 2020 show because it was supposed to be a new tour, not a continued version of the last tour. And there were promises of "new" stuff being added to the set list. Note: not new songs, per se, but changing up the set list. Then, of course, the leak of GNR rehearsing "Hard School."

It got me pretty excited. Enough that I sat up and watched people's livestreams of the concert. It was supposed to be the start of something, but it was more so the last big arena show on earth. And I guess GNR decided to scrap playing anything new or different because of it. sigh

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beto 22 said:

Both Brain and Josh are all over those discs, some labeled as such. Brain said it was him playing on the clip that leaked years ago, I assume the drums are the same on the Village version that leaked.

The chorus is really good and the rest of the song is "meh", definitely has some cool ideas in it but I don't think it'd make for a great song as-is. It is probably my favorite of the vocal tracks, though. I think the best ideas and songs are the instrumental tracks. There is some legit awesome stuff there. Oh well!

• Like 1