I JUST HEARD HARD SCHOOL FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

When the locker leaks first happened in summer 2019, I liked everything that I heard, including Hardschool.

That being said, I recently revisited those leaks and I honestly don’t think I like any of it anymore. It kinda makes sense to me now why all those songs have remained unreleased all these years. I much prefer the album we actually got in 2008 instead.

I honestly don’t know what I want the new album to be anymore, or if I even want one at all, at this point. But whatever. It’s not my band. If Axl, Slash and Duff are really gonna do a new album, then they should just simply make it whatever they want it to be, and if that means putting songs like Hardschool and Atlas on it, then so be it.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll actually end up loving the final versions of those songs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

When the locker leaks first happened in summer 2019, I liked everything that I heard, including Hardschool.

That being said, I recently revisited those leaks and I honestly don’t think I like any of it anymore. It kinda makes sense to me now why all those songs have remained unreleased all these years. I much prefer the album we actually got in 2008 instead.

I honestly don’t know what I want the new album to be anymore, or if I even want one at all, at this point. But whatever. It’s not my band. If Axl, Slash and Duff are really gonna do a new album, then they should just simply make it whatever they want it to be, and if that means putting songs like Hardschool and Atlas on it, then so be it.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll actually end up loving the final versions of those songs.

Yup, I'm the same. Was excited by said leaks, but they're pretty underwhelming in hindsight. 

It's simple, if they intend to release music, they just need to get in a studio and record. It doesn't have to be a grandiose master piece, or over thought, or anything. IMO it will sell regardless, whilst it will also get canned regardless of whether it's amazing or not. IMO they just got to decide if they want to do a record, and just spend a month tops in a studio recording - not a hard ask when they have their own studios, have all the equipment, plenty of time and money on their hands etc.  

• Like 1

I like Hard School a lot too! There are a few leaked Chinese II or whatever.. that I dig. Hard School was the first song I heard a couple years ago, and it’s stuck with me. Totally feels like a rollercoaster, it’s thought out, it sounds like GNR with a twist. It should be released somehow. Axl and the original boys should’ve explored in the direction of this song 1995-2021

Hardskool had a cool chorus, but the verse was meh and the whole breakdown thing is a disaster. To my ears Perhaps and State of Grace are the two strongest songs with vocals and SOG only has basic guide vocals. Would love to hear both in finished states! Atlas has potential but it's a bit stop starty jumping from use your illusion to down on the upside... I like both albums but the puzzle of mixing both wasn't right for me.

The song I had hyped up in my mind after years of listening to the small snippet that leaked was ultimately too good to be true. I think it's pretty "meh" myself but there are some cool ideas. It'll be interesting to hear what Slash and Duff have done with it.

I think it is a great song. Nothing sophisticated, just good, stupid fun. The intro feels a bit tacked on, but I like it, too. Not too fond of the soloing at the end, but the false stop is great. Good vocals, memorably verses and catchy chorus with some fiery Axl vocals.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:47 AM, 19AT5 said:

Listened to Hard School again last night. Intro still annoys me and middle section is equally shit. Way too bloody happy sounding! Chorus is catchy as sin though. 

Yeah thank fuck the intro is gone (based on the soundcheck clip we heard). Starting it with a simple Duff bassline makes much more sense. Gives the song more of an It’s So Easy vibe. And yeah if the band was smart they’d get rid of that middle section too and just replace it with a simple Slash solo. Even if it means the song ends up being less than 3 minutes, it doesn’t matter. Sometimes less is more.

Some revision to the lyrics would be nice too (the second verse needs work imo).

But at the end of the day it doesn’t matter cause this song is never coming out anyways...

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah thank fuck the intro is gone (based on the soundcheck clip we heard). Starting it with a simple Duff bassline makes much more sense. Gives the song more of an It’s So Easy vibe. And yeah if the band was smart they’d get rid of that middle section too and just replace it with a simple Slash solo. Even if it means the song ends up being less than 3 minutes, it doesn’t matter. Sometimes less is more.

Exactly. The demo we heard, like plenty of other CD songs, sounds like it's trying to be more 'epic' than it really is, with that long intro and meandering mid-section. Cut it down to a quick hard rocker (like Garden Of Eden or Perfect Crime) and it'd be better.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Exactly. The demo we heard, like plenty of other CD songs, sounds like it's trying to be more 'epic' than it really is, with that long intro and meandering mid-section. Cut it down to a quick hard rocker (like Garden Of Eden or Perfect Crime) and it'd be better.

Axl had a very weird thing for unnecessary intros in the CD era. He just couldn't resist them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Axl had a very weird thing for unnecessary intros in the CD era. He just couldn't resist them.

So true... The Intro of Scraped being the biggest example! That Intro doesn't add anything to the song and probably makes 90% of the listeners skip it just because of the intro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beto 22 said:

So true... The Intro of Scraped being the biggest example! That Intro doesn't add anything to the song and probably makes 90% of the listeners skip it just because of the intro

That is one hellish intro that! Christ alive, somebody should have said: "Hey... Axl... yanno the a capella intro thingy in Scraped... it's horse shit. It really is. And all the ooooh aaah pish during the song... equally horse shit. Lyrics are pretty bad too. Riff is kinda cool though. And solo section is decent. But aye, mainly horse shit."

• Haha 1

I would love to hear it, but the people in charge of GNR these days are so anally protective that I'll never get that chance unless something official drops. Even if they do start playing it live, they will likely send out their troops and have it pulled down before I can watch it. It's a shame, really.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:16 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

Good song but doesn't sound near finished to me 

Yeah especially the solo section it just sounds like a rough mix of an unfinished song - which I suppose it is lol.  More finished than State of Grace from a vocal track standpoint but to me not nearly as complete sounding as some of the versions from the Village Sessions like IRS, CITR, etc.

• Like 1