Gibbos Appetite For Videos Facebook page deleted ?

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

You don't seriously believe that do you? 

It's more a matter of them (them being TB/the GN'R brand) having not one clue how the modern music business works. 

It's been explained to them many, many times how to please fans AND make money at the same time. The ways available to do that require effort though and they're not interested in any effort whatsoever. 

It's much easier to make a ton of money off over priced tickets and overpriced merch from the casual fans who will still buy it then actually make an efffot to make fans happy and possibly pull in smaller profits. 

GN'R touring isn't a good thing for anyone outside of casual fans. So for die hard fans, it really couldn't get worse. At least from my POV 

I agree on the most part, not so much on the touring thing. There's lots of die hards who love to travel around the world to see the band. For them a show means much for than for the average Joe. But shows are the only thing for the die hards to enjoy since 2008.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

You don't seriously believe that do you? 

It's more a matter of them (them being TB/the GN'R brand) having not one clue how the modern music business works. 

I am sure they understand the concept of releasing old concerts for money. The concept isn't very complicated.

So yes, I seriously believe that if you are correct and all they cared about was money, they would do all they could to maximize revenues. It is kind of what it means. 

The fact that they don't do that, like selling old concerts, selling unreleased music, monetizing videos off YT, etc, indicates, nah, proves, they have other motivations besides earning money. 

Here is what the band would do if all they cared about was money:

- Release all old videos and bootlegs that have any market value. Niche products are solely released digitally, more valuable products can get physical release. This will as an added effect help sell tickets, too. 

- Release all unreleased material (CD2?). This will as an added effect help sell tickets, too. 

- Monetize concert videos and make an effort to keep them on social media. This will as an added effect help sell tickets, too. 

- Shorten the shows to about 1.5 hours of only the greatest hits. 

- [s] Sell lots of silly merch.[/s] Check

I would argue Axl has a history of making decisions not motivated by greed. How many managers tried to make him reunite with Slash? How much money is he losing by not doing interviews? And how about the lost opportunities with reality TV offers, the lost documentary, the unreleased biography? Not the least his refusal to license music (resulting in Slash and Duff suing him). 

I am not going to explain the rationale being his decisions, but claiming he only cares about money seems like an intellectual cop-out or someone unfamiliar with GN'R history. He obviously have other priorities (in addition to earning money). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the GN'R business machine will not release CD2 in any pre-reunion form until after the next album is out, if ever, since it's likely most or all of the songs on it will be from that era. 

So when 2008's CD turns 20, or whatever, I hope we get a box set with all 2.5-3 parts and anything else they throw at it, including unfinished songs with all of the artwork, etc. so a proper release. That's a dream of mine. It would be cool, even if they do it digitally. I know it would sell well. Many crazy fans like us would dish out a lot of money for a GN'R themed flash drive with that stuff on it

I'm sure if they do the above, they will wait until everything they pillage from it for the next album will be out officially first. 

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Here is what the band would do if all they cared about was money:

- Release all old videos and bootlegs that have any market value. Niche products are solely released digitally, more valuable products can get physical release. This will as an added effect help sell tickets, too. 

- Release all unreleased material (CD2?). This will as an added effect help sell tickets, too. 

- Monetize concert videos and make an effort to keep them on social media. This will as an added effect help sell tickets, too. 

- Shorten the shows to about 1.5 hours of only the greatest hits. 

- [s] Sell lots of silly merch.[/s] Check

The first and third things on your list have been explained to them directly and their answer was "we don't know how to do that" 

The second thing (releasing an album) wouldn't make any money, which is why they don't release new music. So that actually helps make my argument. 

Regarding the set lists; if you take out the pointless covers and solos, you're left with exactly that....1.5 hours of hits. 

And the last point speaks for itself. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The first and third things on your list have been explained to them directly and their answer was "we don't know how to do that" 

Heh, if all they cared about was money they'd get it done even if they personally can't do it, just like they don't make the merch themselves or build the stages :)

Releasing an album digitally as cheap as possible, would likely result in profit directly but more importantly help fuel more touring. 

So if they only cared about money they would take out the solos and covers. Trim the fat. It would make the shoes better and give more revenues/time spent. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Heh, if all they cared about was money they'd get it done even if they personally can't do it, just like they don't make the merch themselves or build the stages :)

Right. I know that and you know that. Everyone else on Earth besides the people that run GN'R know that. So it makes absolutely no sense why don't do it.  Other than the fact that it's less effort for them to just overcharge for tickets and awful merch, which they do.

Releasing an album digitally as cheap as possible, would likely result in profit directly but more importantly help fuel more touring. 

You should probably let the music industry as a whole know that you've found a way for releasing albums to be profitable. From everything I've seen and heard, the music industry is unaware of your discovery.

So if they only cared about money they would take out the solos and covers. Trim the fat. It would make the shoes better and give more revenues/time spent. 

There's such a thing as contracts. Details are included in contracts regarding show lengths as it relates to profit to be made from each show. Cover songs and long solo spots = longer show time and (more importantly to TB/GN'R) more money.

I know you know all of this, but I get that you feel the need to defend GN'R/TB/the GN'R brand when there's really no defense for their complete lack or artistic integrity or the way they treat their fans.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

It seems to me it is more important to Axl to ensure fans are focused on the now rather than the then, and that this is more important than money.

The now is also being removed from YT. 

Don't you think if Axl really had that as a POV that the selects would be of decent quality and not comparable to Dustin Bones?

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

After seeing this video I’m 100% sure that Axl is Dustin Bones. This is SO accurate 

Those videos are absolutely amazing. Hands down the funniest thing to happen in the world of GN'R in a very long time. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Right. I know that and you know that. Everyone else on Earth besides the people that run GN'R know that. So it makes absolutely no sense why don't do it.  Other than the fact that it's less effort for them to just overcharge for tickets and awful merch, which they do.

You should probably let the music industry as a whole know that you've found a way for releasing albums to be profitable. From everything I've seen and heard, the music industry is unaware of your discovery.

There's such a thing as contracts. Details are included in contracts regarding show lengths as it relates to profit to be made from each show. Cover songs and long solo spots = longer show time and (more importantly to TB/GN'R) more money.

I know you know all of this, but I get that you feel the need to defend GN'R/TB/the GN'R brand when there's really no defense for their complete lack or artistic integrity or the way they treat their fans.

I can't explain why they don't monetize digital content, either, but whatever rationale they have clearly flies in the face of the idea that they only care about money.

The cost of album releases are mostly connected to production costs and distribution cost of physical releases. Here we are talking about already made music (live recordings and CD2) that are released digitally (similar to what other artists like Pearl Jam have been doing). Just charge for access to the vault. It will cost them nothing. [Assuming they are legally allowed to do it]. The costs are sunk; now they should reap the awards through selling the products. The profits won't be high, likely, but if "all they care about is money" then every buck counts, right?

I strongly doubt promoters want GN'R to do 2.5-3 hour shows and have this stipulated in the contracts. I am confident they, too, would appreciate more trimmed down shows, because a recurring theme in reviews is that the shows are too long and that they contain "pointless" solos and unnecessary covers. I am confident promoters are aware of this and would pay the same for a shorter show and that it is GN'R (=Axl) who insists on doing longer shows. This is just me speculating, but I suspect you are, too.

Then there's also the lack of licensing (GN'R could make a fortune if they were more open to licensing their music to advertisements and movie score, etc, than they are today) and Axl's continual refusal to accept offers for interviews, participation in reality shows (remember Sebastian Bach suggesting Axl participated in a reality show and Axl said he would pay lots of money to not have to?) and all other kinds of selling out that he could do if he wanted to (I think he has only been in one commercial in recent years). Again, all of this combined doesn't align with someone entirely motivated by money. 

I am not defending GN'R/TB as much as I am dismissing the idea that all they care about is money because it is obviously not correct. I am not trying to replace the flawed notion that they only care about money with a plausible explanation for the bizarre business decisions they keep making. 

8 hours ago, janrichmond said:

The now is also being removed from YT. 

Don't you think if Axl really had that as a POV that the selects would be of decent quality and not comparable to Dustin Bones?

I have no idea why they chose the selects that they do, but there is nothing in the choices that suggest they do it for money only. What they would do if they only cared about money, was to add lots of great shows from the entire history of the band to their official channel and earn money from it. Just think of all the shows from the 90s that were properly taped and could be made available. Or the documentary that Del James worked on. Lots of missed opportunities because something else (=a focus on the now) is more important than earning easy money.

• Haha 1

I don’t think it needs to be span around taking the "all they care about is money" literally all the time. If we stop splitting hair, we may come to the conclusion that while the money factor may not be the only one (as I believe), the fact remains that their PR is catastrophic, and the band doesn’t really seem to give a shit. The way I see it, the main weak link is the Axl – TB relationship, since in other cases, the management/PR would sort of put more pressure on the artist in order to push some older footage for release, as nothing new has been otherwise happening. Plus, the remaining members would get more involved and not shy away because of a well-established "family" relationship between the singer and the management. 

And any time someone starts talking "costs" and physical music media not being "profitable", I always like to point out two issues with this argument: a) they recently made over half a billion in 2 years; and b) above all, other bands somehow – don’t ask me how – have handled this no problem. It’s a miracle, I know! Maybe they should be consulted as to how to figure things out. 

Edited by jamillos

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I don’t think it needs to be span around taking the "all they care about is money" literally all the time. If we stop splitting hair, we may come to the conclusion that while the money factor may not be the only one (as I believe), the fact remains that their PR is catastrophic, and the band doesn’t really seem to give a shit. The way I see it, the main weak link is the Axl – TB relationship, since in other cases, the management/PR would sort of put more pressure on the artist in order to push some older footage for release, as nothing new has been otherwise happening. Plus, the remaining members would get more involved and not shy away because of a well-established "family" relationship between the singer and the management. 
And any time someone starts talking "costs" and physical music media not being "profitable", I always like to point out two issues with this argument: a) they recently made over half a billion in 2 years; and b) above all, other bands somehow – don’t ask me how – have handled this no problem. It’s a miracle, I know! Maybe they should be consulted as to how to figure things out. 

The main weak link is Axl. He is ultimately responsible for the band's actions (or lack thereof). Don't get me wrong, Team Brazil is truly incompetent in their own ways, but the buck stops with Axl. 

I have never understood why so many fans seem unable to accept that Axl's to blame. Maybe it is more comfortable for some die-hard fans to move the blame onto people around Axl than to criticize their idol? To facilitate this, they reduce Axl to some mindless child that is being held captive by malicious family owners who have taken control of the band. Hilarious. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The main weak link is Axl. He is ultimately responsible for the band's actions (or lack thereof). Don't get me wrong, Team Brazil is truly incompetent in their own ways, but the buck stops with Axl. 

I have never understood why so many fans seem unable to accept that Axl's to blame. Maybe it is more comfortable for some die-hard fans to move the blame onto people around Axl than to criticize their idol? To facilitate this, they reduce Axl to some mindless child that is being held captive by malicious family owners who have taken control of the band. Hilarious. 

TB's job is to make Axl happy. He extended their responsibilities beyond personal stuff to Gn'R affairs. They kinda suck at many things but he has not fired them yet which probably means he's happy with them as managers.

I think if Axl was interested in selling old concerts online, releasing a bunch of blurays of live concerts or making sure every Gn'R fan could access shit on youtube it would have happened a long time ago.

maybe for now, he is not interested when it comes to making money from live shows from the previous lineups cause control of the content is more important to him. My best guess is that you're correct when you say he wants to keep the focus on Gn'R as it is now.

I don't believe for a second Axl only cares about money. Merch and touring is one thing, and studio albums and old shows is another.

if Axl still thinks there's any kind of future for current Gn'R, then it's possible controlling the direction of it is important enough for him to not use every possible avenue to make money from imo if it means that would damage what he's trying to do with it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh I don’t really contradict that; what I like to do though is taking all things possible into consideration. And here, considering he probably thinks of Beta as his surrogate mother, with Fn’ando and all the rest being their kids and growing up there since back in the 90s, we can’t seriously expect him to fire them or anything. I mean, they live on his premises, for god’s sake. Should he at least hire more people for PR? Absolutely. But what would he tell TB then? Look, mom and son, you do have shitloads of time to do all this work, but I still need to hire other people? I reckon their relationship is pretty deep, so it may not be that easy to really change things around. It’s an unfortunate situation – for us, that is. And yes, ultimately, it’s Axl. 
As for the "focusing on now", I don’t know – why haven’t we still received a perfect blu-ray from some 2016 show, especially now that shows or anything else aren’t happening? The shitty Selects only do harm. As usual, not much sense to be found in this. 

Edited by jamillos

11 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Oh I don’t really contradict that; what I like to do though is taking all things possible into consideration. And here, considering he probably thinks of Beta as his surrogate mother, with Fn’ando and all the rest being their kids and growing up there since back in the 90s, we can’t seriously expect him to fire them or anything. I mean, they live on his premises, for god’s sake. Should he at least hire more people for PR? Absolutely. But what would he tell TB then? Look, mom and son, you do have shitloads of time to do all this work, but I still need to hire other people? I reckon their relationship is pretty deep, so it may not be that easy to really change things around. It’s an unfortunate situation – for us, that is. And yes, ultimately, it’s Axl. 

Yes, firing family members can be difficult. Still, there are ways to go about doing that or even just adjusting a working relationship, including making sure they do their work properly. It is not much different from how any boss manages his employees. "Hey Fernando, can we discuss the selects a bit and how we choose which ones to release?" Or, "I want to put out some of the 1990s show on youtube, can you ask Del to find the best ones and have it done?" Or, "I didn't like the latest merchandise, I want all new merchs to be approved by me from now on". Etc. And you can do this in a myriad of ways to avoid ruffling feathers and not having to actually fire anyone. You take more control, delegate, and manage. Besides, I have reason to believe Axl has already fired Beta at least once previously. But as Ronin pointed out, Axl probably finds more pluses with TB than minuses and prefers them as managers than anyone he's had in recent years. 

31 minutes ago, jamillos said:

As for the "focusing on now", I don’t know – why haven’t we still received a perfect blu-ray from some 2016 show, especially now that shows or anything else aren’t happening? The shitty Selects only do harm. As usual, not much sense to be found in this. 

Yeah, as I said, I am not trying to explain the rationale behind the band's weird business decisions. I am as lost as everybody else. I am just commenting on the idea that the band's sole motivation is money, something I find implausible considering the band's history and recent failure to profit on clear opportunities. If Axl was all about money, he would take all these simple opportunities, sell the vault, sell himself out, monetize bootlegs, etc etc. That doesn't mean he is not interested in money - he clearly is - just that when it comes to some decisions and choices, money is clearly not the only consideration on his mind. He's talked about this before, that people around him have tried to make him do things for quick bucks, but that he had refused to budge. Slash and Duff suing Axl over his refusal to license out music to soundtracks and commercials, is one example. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, firing family members can be difficult. Still, there are ways to go about doing that or even just adjusting a working relationship, including making sure they do their work properly. It is not much different from how any boss manages his employees. "Hey Fernando, can we discuss the selects a bit and how we choose which ones to release?" Or, "I want to put out some of the 1990s show on youtube, can you ask Del to find the best ones and have it done?" Or, "I didn't like the latest merchandise, I want all new merchs to be approved by me from now on". Etc. And you can do this in a myriad of ways to avoid ruffling feathers and not having to actually fire anyone. You take more control, delegate, and manage. Besides, I have reason to believe Axl has already fired Beta at least once previously. But as Ronin pointed out, Axl probably finds more pluses with TB than minuses and prefers them as managers than anyone he's had in recent years. 

You certainly have a point there. However, I still believe TB have a very unhealthy influence on Axl. When yes-men are a part of a family, that can’t be good. 
And what also baffles me is how Slash and Duff are nowhere to be found regarding the question of PR / old footage releases etc. Then again, in the recent years, there have barely been any real interviews, and if so, it was more like “no GNR questions”, just “recording with SMKC” or “look at my new guitar”. This sucks. I know Slash mentioned some UYI documentary in one of the chats, but that's it. And Slash’s position in the band these days is way more prominent than what it used to be in the 90s. Axl would be finished without him, and he’s bound to know it.