If It was Officially Over

It is questionable why we are all still here, as there is really fuck-all to discuss anymore. I just want to keep up to date with whatever may happen, and be there to see it through to the end.  I know that we are highly unlikely to get new music ever again, but if we do I want to share in that joy with pure and die hard GnR fans of which this place has. 

If Axl announced it was all over then I would come here less and less over time, but still check in with the hope of leaks.

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Imagine a repeat of that, but with material from 2002-2005. :)

It's the least we deserve having waited for new material for 12/13 years!

The way GNR treat fans regarding new material, it really would be poetic justice for CD2 to fall out of the sky thanks to a hoarder or disgruntled ex employee of Axl Rose.

Edited by jackparker123
  • Like 1

If it was Officially over I probably wouldn't come here anymore.

I only open the forum once in a while to check out the latest, and if by some miracle they haven't decided to finally put out an album that will end this saga with some semi-dignity

Ok, once in a blue moon (like super blue xd) I check out discussions from the past, canter banter etc. (so rarely because I've read it all before)

But yeah, if it were Officially over that'd be it for me with this forum

Edited by Entman

1 hour ago, jackparker123 said:

It's the least we deserve having waited for new material for 12/13 years!

The way GNR treat fans regarding new material, it really would be poetic justice for CD2 to fall out of the sky thanks to a hoarder or disgruntled ex employee of Axl Rose.

That very well could happen, especially if CD2 was ever "turned in" at one point like rumor has it before it was rejected by the label.

Ha yeah, I don't come here just for news about a new album. Would it be nice if it were to happen?! Of course! I have made some friends here and I like discussing music, shows and politics in the other sections. So I'm here to stay no matter what.  rock3

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

Ha yeah, I don't come here just for news about a new album. Would it be nice if it were to happen?! Of course! I have made some friends here and I like discussing music, shows and politics in the other sections. So I'm here to stay no matter what.  rock3

Same, all nice and fun people.

• Like 3

Considering there are hoards of message boards revolving around bands that don't exist anymore, I would say nothing would change really. GNR's 1985-1994 run was a real thing and it's never going to not exist. So as long as that's true, there will always be an interest in discussing the band.

As far as myself though, I'm not so sure a new record sans Izzy (or even with Izzy) would be worth the wait anyway. How many rock bands release epic albums when its members are pushing sixty? And by epic, I mean albums that live up to the stuff they released in the glory years? Maybe there's some out there I can't think of, but if so, I... well... can't think of them lol.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nintari said:

Considering there are hoards of message boards revolving around bands that don't exist anymore, I would say nothing would change really. GNR's 1985-1994 run was a real thing and it's never going to not exist. So as long as that's true, there will always be an interest in discussing the band.

As far as myself though, I'm not so sure a new record sans Izzy (or even with Izzy) would be worth the wait anyway. How many rock bands release epic albums when its members are pushing sixty? And by epic, I mean albums that live up to the stuff they released in the glory years? Maybe there's some out there I can't think of, but if so, I... well... can't think of them lol.

it can still be worth it without being as good as AFD/UYI.

14 hours ago, Nintari said:

No point mentioning bands that wrote great records in their later years really, but ELO released a great comeback album a few years back that fit right in with the previous material, Jeff Lynnes in his 70s. There is no age cut off for when you might come across a great song idea. Toto's last album was brilliant 50/60 yr olds each. Van Halen Different kind of truth. Paul Simon, Robert plant, paul McCartney too all late 70s and releasing great albums.

Obviously there's plenty of very forgettable albums from older artists too. I just don't think an artist has to constantly better or equal their most beloved works... is it a good song? do the songs work together as a package? is it something you haven't heard before? that's what I care about. Also, what is the measurement of if it does stack up? I don't think you can fairly AB them. Those early albums have 30yrs of memory association, they have the bands most beloved hits. A new album could be stacked with great songs and it's never going to be accepted the same way as those old albums when the expectation level was so much lower or none at all.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Yup, already over for me. It’s just a tribute band now.

I know that seems harsh but my loyalty has waned as it’s become clear this band has no interest in creative output whatsoever 

It's not become clear at all. Slash and Duff have only been back since 2016. That may seem a long time for some bands but in GnR world that is nothing. If they are working on new songs, recording a new album, it is obviously going to take ages. If you want to follow a band that releases new records every two years, go follow the Foo Fighters or Weezer, they release records all the time. By now you should know what to expect from a band like GnR. I think there will be a new record for sure, but I am not expecting it any time soon. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised if it does happen within the next decade. And if it doesn't, so be it. There are more important things in this world than a rock n roll band really.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's not become clear at all. Slash and Duff have only been back since 2016. That may seem a long time for some bands but in GnR world that is nothing. If they are working on new songs, recording a new album, it is obviously going to take ages. If you want to follow a band that releases new records every two years, go follow the Foo Fighters or Weezer, they release records all the time. By now you should know what to expect from a band like GnR. I think there will be a new record for sure, but I am not expecting it any time soon. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised if it does happen within the next decade. And if it doesn't, so be it. There are more important things in this world than a rock n roll band really.

In what world is 5 years "nothing"? There's a reason almost every band member has released a solo album since 2016. The reunion has lasted almost as long as the time period between CD's release, and the CD lineup's demise. Even in the GNR world that's a stupid amount of time to go without releasing at least one song (especially considering Slash and Duff's output).

We agree on one thing at least... there's no new album coming soon :lol:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EvanG said:

GnR world. Even UYI, their second record, took ages to come out. Hey, I'm not saying I'm pleased with it, but it is what it is. 

The difference is, they released singles, played new songs live and let people know new music was coming before UYI... then they released 2 albums. That's clearly not the case with the NITL lineup. Every member aside from Axl has released new music since 2016.

• GNFNR 1

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

GnR world. Even UYI, their second record, took ages to come out. Hey, I'm not saying I'm pleased with it, but it is what it is. 

UYI was a double album and it was 4 years after AFD which wasnt too bad.

We also got Lies in between that too.

Beats these days with axl taking 15 years+ between releases

• Like 2