Guns N Roses to headline BottleRock

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Didn't they play some One Hot Minute stuff with Josh?

Yeah I feel like they're going to ignore the last 2 albums with Josh, which is a shame.

Only Aeroplane.

6 hours ago, mystery said:

They played Aeroplane which was cool to hear but I'd love for them to play My Friends. I wonder if John would come around to playing songs from that era. The newer stuff I could possibly see. John and Josh are buds and I could see John singing his vocals.

John and Josh haven’t been friends since 2009.

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

They used to be good friends. Apparently John hasn't been in touch with Josh anymore since he took his place in the band. I can't see John playing One Hot Minute stuff because he never did before and he doesn't want to be reminded of that time, but I don't know if they can get away with not playing any stuff from the last two records. It would be even more of a slap in the face for the Josh fans, them firing him wasn't too nice in the first place, and a lot of fans do like those records. Me being one of them.

yeah the Josh records grew on me a lot recently! But that band is still more exciting with John imo.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

They used to be good friends. Apparently John hasn't been in touch with Josh anymore since he took his place in the band. I can't see John playing One Hot Minute stuff because he never did before and he doesn't want to be reminded of that time, but I don't know if they can get away with not playing any stuff from the last two records. It would be even more of a slap in the face for the Josh fans, them firing him wasn't too nice in the first place, and a lot of fans do like those records. Me being one of them.

They'll get away with it for sure. They've been recording new stuff. That would cover the Josh stuff during the shows along with the hits. Don't expect John to play RHCP records he didn't do post-BSSM.

40 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Is it likely that this will actually happen? I thought the US was still fighting the Covoid pandemic. September 2021 seems a bit soon

A bunch of different states are starting to lift venue restrictions. Pretty sure the mask mandate is mostly gone too now.

I can't imagine attending a concert with a mask on. That would be the lamest, stupidest, most ridiculous thing ever. If there's a risk, just wait it out before it can get to normal again. 

"Are you singing, motherfuckers? I said are you singing, motherfuckers!? Can't see your mouths move!"

10 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

They'll get away with it for sure. They've been recording new stuff. That would cover the Josh stuff during the shows along with the hits. Don't expect John to play RHCP records he didn't do post-BSSM.

Maybe it's time for John to adapt? I know they have plenty of stuff to choose from, but I think it would be kinda disrespectful. Flea said something not so long ago about how some fans weren't too happy with how they handled the situation with Josh, I can't imagine them completely ignoring the last two records. Maybe I'm With You, but not The Getaway. Also, I'm sure the other three still like some of those songs. Anthony has said how much he loves playing Dark Necessities live. I guess we will see.

5 hours ago, Nesret said:

I don't know if he really learned these parts - He probably just stood there thinking "Ah yes, something in A-minor, no problem - I'll just do my wankery here - and here... aaaaaand here. Done, on to the next one." btw, that's how he remembers them:

Of course he learned his parts, these are not punk songs with three chords that you can immediately play along to.
I can imagine he didn't learn the solos, though, but that's normal. Most guitarists improvise solos anyway.

12 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Personally I preferred the band with Josh, although I didn't really get into RHCP until he was in the band.

That's probably what's happening.

I preferred them with Dave Navarro, although I also love the Blood sugar album. Hard gig to fill when you're taking it in a whole other direction. 

Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Josh's, one thing I never understood was how he was so disliked almost across the board. He didn't steal the gig, John left and Josh was hired. I think had Josh just come in and played the parts he'd have been accepted more, but then he'd be criticised fro not being original. No win situation🤣 At least he wasn't Dj Ashba though🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Awesome news, but with covid still out there even being vaccinated, I wouldn't be comfortable at this big of a concert.

COVID will always be out there though! We just need to learn to deal wae it.

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I preferred them with Dave Navarro, although I also love the Blood sugar album. Hard gig to fill when you're taking it in a whole other direction. 

Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Josh's, one thing I never understood was how he was so disliked almost across the board. He didn't steal the gig, John left and Josh was hired. I think had Josh just come in and played the parts he'd have been accepted more, but then he'd be criticised fro not being original. No win situation🤣 At least he wasn't Dj Ashba though🥳

Huge fan of One Hot Minute over here too! One point about Josh which annoyed a lot of people is how we was inducted into the RNRHOF despite having only played on one album at the time. He's also the youngest inductee ever. Like I know it isn't his fault and what not, but fuck me that didn't go down well wae a lot of folk.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Josh was that much disliked to be honest. He gets a lot of love on some sites. It's just that Frusciante has become somewhat of a living legend among many fans, and it's true that he's the best fit for that band. He grew up musically in the RHCP and he and Flea have created a musical language that no one can compete with. Plus, he's probably the best songwriter the band has ever had. But Josh did a good job, he was kinda like a fan himself, because of him they played deep cuts that they would never play otherwise and with him in the band they finally had a decent singer, hihi. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm not sure Josh was that much disliked to be honest. He gets a lot of love on some sites. It's just that Frusciante has become somewhat of a living legend among many fans, and it's true that he's the best fit for that band. He grew up musically in the RHCP and he and Flea have created a musical language that no one can compete with. Plus, he's probably the best songwriter the band has ever had. But Josh did a good job, he was kinda like a fan himself, because of him they played deep cuts that they would never play otherwise and with him in the band they finally had a decent singer, hihi. 

I've never met anyone (in person) that likes the Chilis, who had a good word to say about Josh's role in the band. I think he was put up with, and it was a 'make the best of the situation' job for many super fans... but they were all just hoping John would come back. I didn't like how they got rid of him though, that was shitty! he does seem like a nice guy and he's clearly talented, I just don't think he ever really fit with RHCP... although I appreciate he tried hard to carve out his own space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Maybe it's time for John to adapt? I know they have plenty of stuff to choose from, but I think it would be kinda disrespectful. Flea said something not so long ago about how some fans weren't too happy with how they handled the situation with Josh, I can't imagine them completely ignoring the last two records. Maybe I'm With You, but not The Getaway. Also, I'm sure the other three still like some of those songs. Anthony has said how much he loves playing Dark Necessities live. I guess we will see.

By the time they got to the Getaway tour the only I’m With You song they were still doing live was Raindance Maggie, which I doubt John will wanna do. So I think it’s safe to say that they’re never gonna touch I’m With You (or I’m Beside You) ever again.

The Getaway is a different story tho. Dark Necessities was a MASSIVE hit when it was new. I can see them still playing that song at least, and maybe also Goodbye Angels.

Flea will go back to just playing Pea on his own, and the band will say that’s enough to represent One Hot Minute. They’ll do Me & My Friends again to represent the 80s era. Then the hit singles from BSSM, Cali, BTW and SA. Then a John solo song. Also some jams. And maybe like five new songs at most. That’s it! That’s how it always goes with RHCP anyways...

Edited by rocknroll41

Just now, Tom2112 said:

I've never met anyone (in person) that likes the Chilis, who had a good word to say about Josh's role in the band. I think he was put up with, and it was a 'make the best of the situation' job for many super fans... but they were all just hoping John would come back. I didn't like how they got rid of him though, that was shitty! he does seem like a nice guy and he's clearly talented, I just don't think he ever really fit with RHCP... although I appreciate he tried hard to carve out his own space.

Read messageboard or the RHCP reddit fanpage. Of course you've got the John fans who hate everyone who isn't John. But I think Josh definitely earned a lot of fans' respect over the last years. He's humble, he knows his place, he introduced deep cuts to the setlist, he gives himself 100% every performance. But yeah... he can't play guitar like John and probably can't write like him either, so needless to say most prefer John. Me too, even though I think it's shitty that they canned him like that, but probably inevitable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

By the time they got to the Getaway tour the only I’m With You song they were still doing live was Raindance Maggie, which I doubt John will wanna do. So I think it’s safe to say that they’re never gonna touch I’m With You (or I’m Beside You) ever again.

The Getaway is a different story tho. Dark Necessities was a MASSIVE hit when it was new. I can see them still playing that song at least, and maybe also Goodbye Angels.

Flea will go back to just playing Pea on his own, and the band will say that’s enough to represent One Hot Minute. They’ll do Me & My Friends again to represent the 80s era. Then the hit singles from BSSM, Cali, BTW and SA. Then a John solo song. Also some jams. And maybe like five new songs at most. That’s it! That’s how it always goes with RHCP anyways...

They actually played several songs from I'm With You during The Getaway tour, but hardly ever more than one on the same setlist, they mixed it up with Factory Of Faith, Ethiopia, Look Around and Did I Let You Know if I remember correctly.

And I agree with you, Dark Necessities and Goodbye Angels were popular songs to play, and maybe even The Hunter? That song is about Anthony's father and he passed away last week. I can see them playing that song as a tribute if Anthony can pull it off.

Edited by EvanG

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

They actually played several songs from I'm With You during The Getaway tour, but hardly ever more than one on the same setlist, they mixed it up with Factory Of Faith, Ethiopia, Look Around and Did I Let You Know if I remember correctly.

And I agree with you, Dark Necessities and Goodbye Angels were popular songs to play, and maybe even The Hunter? That song is about Anthony's father and he passed away last week. I can see them playing that song as a tribute if Anthony can pull it off.

Didn’t know that! At the show I went to they just did Raindance Maggie, so I had assumed that it was the only song that survived.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

+1

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Didn’t know that! At the show I went to they just did Raindance Maggie, so I had assumed that it was the only song that survived.

Yeah, it sucked they didn't play Monarchy Of Roses, Meet Me At The Corner or Happiness Loves Company at all anymore after the I'm With You tour... I really like those songs.

21 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Just to change topic somewhat.  Hard School was on Youtube for a day last week, thats how come I heard it, obviously taken down pretty quickly.  Just wondered if it meant anything, clutching at straws here.

They be straws you're clutching, I'd say some cheeky chappy put it up but nothing to do with the band. As far as we know those versions of Hardskool have been revised (probably more than once), so I think it's unlikely they'd purposefully leak the demo a year after the original leak... I remember Axl talking about leaks and how he wasn't a big fan of the fans getting attached to unfinished ideas. Can we talk more about RHCP now?😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They be straws you're clutching, I'd say some cheeky chappy put it up but nothing to do with the band. As far as we know those versions of Hardskool have been revised (probably more than once), so I think it's unlikely they'd purposefully leak the demo a year after the original leak... I remember Axl talking about leaks and how he wasn't a big fan of the fans getting attached to unfinished ideas. Can we talk more about RHCP now?😋

Have you seen the amount of unreleased rhcp songs on youtube and they never get taken down lol 

• Like 1