Use Your Illusion Remasters?

Hey guys, not sure if this has been posted but is there any word of Use Your Illusion being remastered for 30 year anniversary? Appetite's Remasters sound amazing and I was hoping they do the same for UYI. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 8:10 PM, terminator2 said:

I really wish they would do a 5.1 remaster of the Illusion Albums like they did with Appetite.  :headbang:

5.1 remix RULEZ! :headbang:

They can keep the stickers, head bands, and shit.   

Can't wait for the 5.1. Closest we will get from having multitracks for the Illusions.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Metallica just announced the black album box set. 14 CDs! I’d be happy with a UYI box that even has just a fraction of that lol.

Metallica have a solid team around them that can help deliver these sort of things. The Metallica boxset has so much stuff, if GNR did the equivalent we'd be sifting through it for the next year with shit eating grins.

• Like 2

Not bad for $240. Doesn't seem to be too loaded up with bullshit nobody wants. 

$240

Limited edition deluxe numbered box set (with magnetic flap) of Metallica (Remastered) includes the album remastered on 180-gram double LP and CD, "Sad But True" picture disc, three live LPs, 14 CDs and six DVDs featuring unreleased content (live shows, rough mixes, demos, etc), MP3 download card of all audio, four tour laminates, lanyard, three lithos, three guitar picks, lyric folder and sheets, and a 120-page hardcover book with never-before-seen photos + stories from those who were there

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Metallica have a solid team around them that can help deliver these sort of things. The Metallica boxset has so much stuff, if GNR did the equivalent we'd be sifting through it for the next year with shit eating grins.

Yessir. Metallica is probably the best example of 'rock group as corporation' around today except maybe for the Stones.

Laugh and call them sellouts all you want, but you can't deny that they are good at actually getting product out.

Ok, so actual new songs from Metallica don't appear that often these days. But even so, they release new material much more frequently than youknowwho.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sausagebrain said:

Yessir. Metallica is probably the best example of 'rock group as corporation' around today except maybe for the Stones.

Laugh and call them sellouts all you want, but you can't deny that they are good at actually getting product out.

Ok, so actual new songs from Metallica don't appear that often these days. But even so, they release new material much more frequently than youknowwho.

Metallica will definitely have a new album by the end of this year or mid next (already working on it), that's a rapid turn around for them (Nov 2016, so 5ish years). That'll mean since 2008 they released 3 full LPs, you would be pretty embarrassed if you were a similar vintage band😄

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Metallica will definitely have a new album by the end of this year or mid next (already working on it), that's a rapid turn around for them (Nov 2016, so 5ish years). That'll mean since 2008 they released 3 full LPs, you would be pretty embarrassed if you were a similar vintage band😄

They also own their old masters and have their own label. They can pretty much do whatever they want with the material. 

Perhaps GNR would have more freedom if they had fulfilled their recording contract  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

They also own their old masters and have their own label. They can pretty much do whatever they want with the material. 

Perhaps GNR would have more freedom if they had fulfilled their recording contract  

If only! unfortunately the only way out now is either release more music or buy themselves out... but I don't know if they'll be in the position Metallica were leaving their label.

Just now, Sausagebrain said:

I don't see them as sellouts, or a corporation really - they put out archive things fans might want to buy (i.e. music) at acceptable prices, do shows in which they change setlists, try new ideas, shake things up and release new music, that fans seem to like. 

I wish I was more than just a casual fan of them to be honest! 

35 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't see them as sellouts, or a corporation really - they put out archive things fans might want to buy (i.e. music) at acceptable prices, do shows in which they change setlists, try new ideas, shake things up and release new music, that fans seem to like. 

I wish I was more than just a casual fan of them to be honest! 

As a huge fan of Metallica, I'm spoilt😄 It's such a great marketing idea to record the concert and give it away free wit the ticket! just makes you feel like the heavy ticket cost as loaded with quality, rather than say GNR who are close to €100. GNR will play an extra 40/50 minutes over the Metallica set, but I'd struggle to believe anyone who gets to see metallica and GNR back to back and doesn't say Metallica blow GNR away on all fronts. If GNR just completely ripped off the Metallica method with the exception of Interviews and some of the more exposed backstage moments they'd be in a much better place with their long time fanbase. They'd still have mystique, but they'd also be taking care of their fans on and off tour cycles.

As Fernando said "I'm familiar with how Metallica operate". Smart guy!

• Like 1

Just now, Tom2112 said:

As a huge fan of Metallica, I'm spoilt😄 It's such a great marketing idea to record the concert and give it away free wit the ticket! just makes you feel like the heavy ticket cost as loaded with quality, rather than say GNR who are close to €100. GNR will play an extra 40/50 minutes over the Metallica set, but I'd struggle to believe anyone who gets to see metallica and GNR back to back and doesn't say Metallica blow GNR away on all fronts. If GNR just completely ripped off the Metallica method with the exception of Interviews and some of the more exposed backstage moments they'd be in a much better place with their long time fanbase. They'd still have mystique, but they'd also be taking care of their fans on and off tour cycles.

Oh do they do that? You get a live recording of the gig? I presume it's an MP3? I noticed that every ticket came with a copy of their last album- another great idea. Obviously loads of fans will already have it, so they'll give it away and maybe create new fans. It all seems so logical really. 

Out of interest, do you buy all the deluxe box sets? They always look great, but I imagine the costs rack up! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh do they do that? You get a live recording of the gig? I presume it's an MP3? I noticed that every ticket came with a copy of their last album- another great idea. Obviously loads of fans will already have it, so they'll give it away and maybe create new fans. It all seems so logical really. 

Out of interest, do you buy all the deluxe box sets? They always look great, but I imagine the costs rack up! 

You can choose the data format on www.livemetallica.com. You can even order CD sleeves if you want. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sosso said:

You can choose the data format on www.livemetallica.com. You can even order CD sleeves if you want. 

That"s fantastic- what a great idea. Things like this are absolutely why Metallica still have such a big and enthusiastic fanbase after so many years. Someone is clearly thinking "what would fans like?" 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I have all of the deluxe sets and about to pre-order my Black album one too. If you buy at the right time you can get them around the £150-£180 mark but what you get in terms of content is off the charts - a few trinkets but mainly oodles of audio/video content.

It’s often said that Moscow 91 is one of their best gigs and we are about to get it on vinyl as part of this set. 🥳

I don’t spend much cash on stuff so when these sets appear I’m all in.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah - GNR and MetallicA are my two favourite bands so it like polar opposites on how to approach things. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I only buy some of them, like the Puppets one was ridiculous so I had to, I think I'll get the black album too.

Yeah, since the most recent tour they've been giving a free download (Mp3... think there's a wav option though🤔) of the show. Since 2003 they've had the buy a download of all the shows and they've even dug out a bunch of old recordings that they give away for free because the audio quality isn't perfect. I mean, it's hard to criticise them, and sometimes just like with GNR you get fed up waiting for new music or they get a bit complacent with their playing or the setlist isn't rotating as much as it did at the start of the tour, but overall since the Hardwired album came out I'm about as big a fan now as I was when I first discovered them 20? years ago, and that's purely down to them doing stuff like the remasters and the live downloads. Pearl jam are probably the closest other band for really giving it all to the fans, but I'm more patchy with my appreciation of PJ.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 6:39 AM, DTJ80 said:

I have all of the deluxe sets and about to pre-order my Black album one too. If you buy at the right time you can get them around the £150-£180 mark but what you get in terms of content is off the charts - a few trinkets but mainly oodles of audio/video content.

It’s often said that Moscow 91 is one of their best gigs and we are about to get it on vinyl as part of this set. 🥳

I don’t spend much cash on stuff so when these sets appear I’m all in.

Yeah - GNR and MetallicA are my two favourite bands so it like polar opposites on how to approach things. 🤦‍♂️

I don't know why the difference, but sealed MOP boxsets are selling for upwards of 2K on eBay lately!  Yet not nearly the same for sealed KEA or RTL or AJFA.  Strange.  Same two favorite bands by the way :headbang:

Edited by troccoli

11 hours ago, troccoli said:

I don't know why the difference, but sealed MOP boxsets are selling for upwards of 2K on eBay lately!  Yet not nearly the same for sealed KEA or RTL or AJFA.  Strange.  Same two favorite bands by the way :headbang:

Wow - I know they were supposed to be ‘limited edition’ but thought there would have been high numbers produced.

Getting Moscow 91 on vinyl in the new boxset will be amazing. Just heard Sandman from it (which I normally can never hear again at this point) but it’s a cracking rendition - you can tell it’s ‘new’ and only played a few times. Heavy too. As you will likely know, Moscow 91 is considered one of their best gigs so to get a properly mixed version is just awesome. :headbang:

Id love the UYI set to be as good but I have my doubts. Somewhere close would absolutely do though.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Wow - I know they were supposed to be ‘limited edition’ but thought there would have been high numbers produced.

Getting Moscow 91 on vinyl in the new boxset will be amazing. Just heard Sandman from it (which I normally can never hear again at this point) but it’s a cracking rendition - you can tell it’s ‘new’ and only played a few times. Heavy too. As you will likely know, Moscow 91 is considered one of their best gigs so to get a properly mixed version is just awesome. :headbang:

Id love the UYI set to be as good but I have my doubts. Somewhere close would absolutely do though.

You'll get Tokyo VHS with a new cover and you better be happy with that! Gnfr, man! 

• Haha 2

The illusion re-release will surely happen at some point? I got the impression the AFD was the record company just going ahead and doing it, whether the band wanted it or not, so there's every chance we see this one too. 

Whether the contents will be decent and the pricing reasonable is anyone's guess!