Is there anyone who likes Riad N` The Bedouins?

Me, though I think the cut n paste job of the chorus with the “no one had wove as well” line, sounding shitty protooled together, really brings the song down, from being great.

But I think it’s definitely one of the better songs on CD.

• Like 2

I don't dislike it but it could be a much better song with some work. Title and lyrics are stupid and I don't like the guitar tones much at the Bucket robot part and on BBF's solo. I also prefer the original solo and even that could have been better. The leaked version of this one is the superior version imo

It's just a bit of a nothing song, isn't it? It's not bad, it's just lyrically weird (and not in a way that makes you think it's got any sort of hidden depth) and musically, it doesn't have a standout melodic hook, either vocally or instrumentally.

3 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Riad N` The Bedouins es la canción menos escuchada del CD. Estoy interesado en ver a quién le gusta esta canción después de todo, y por qué. :D

Me encanta ese tema, me gustaria ver a slash tocando el

tema

• GNFNR 1

:axl:Axl Rose describing the song:

Riad is the name my one time momentary brother-in-law of Erin Everly went by when I knew him. Of part Lebanese descent and a former student of Pepperdine University he claims to be an international arms dealer, billionaire with ambitions of being “King of the World”. He claims to fund several medical organizations and underground Nazi organizations around the world who says his heroes are Napoleon and Adolph Hitler. He claims his most prized asset is his anonymity. He also claims to be an expert in military strategy and was the inspiration for the Guns song Civil War which was written per his request for a song how “people were stupid and he could and he could sell them anything because people love to kill each other.” He also claims to be an expert in global finance and money laundering living tax free in Belair last I was aware and claiming to launder monies for wealthy individuals in several countries predominantly Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, with ties to the Bush/Reagan administrations and wherever there’s a war in the world at any given moment.  :wow:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

:axl:Axl Rose describing the song:

Riad is the name my one time momentary brother-in-law of Erin Everly went by when I knew him. Of part Lebanese descent and a former student of Pepperdine University he claims to be an international arms dealer, billionaire with ambitions of being “King of the World”. He claims to fund several medical organizations and underground Nazi organizations around the world who says his heroes are Napoleon and Adolph Hitler. He claims his most prized asset is his anonymity. He also claims to be an expert in military strategy and was the inspiration for the Guns song Civil War which was written per his request for a song how “people were stupid and he could and he could sell them anything because people love to kill each other.” He also claims to be an expert in global finance and money laundering living tax free in Belair last I was aware and claiming to launder monies for wealthy individuals in several countries predominantly Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, with ties to the Bush/Reagan administrations and wherever there’s a war in the world at any given moment.  :wow:

Sounds like Nicholas Cage in The Lord of War.

• Like 1

I used to love it.  I thought it captured well how rock/metal was sounding in the 2000s. You don’t get that feeling often on CD given how long it took to record. It definitely has an emo flair to it.

Axls vocals are killer, lyrics are awful though (although supposedly about a really interesting guy). Not a good guitar solo. Also think it could’ve been mixed better to allow the instruments to come through better.  The intro shouldn’t be there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakey Styley said:

I used to love it.  I thought it captured well how rock/metal was sounding in the 2000s. You don’t get that feeling often on CD given how long it took to record. It definitely has an emo flair to it.

Axls vocals are killer, lyrics are awful though (although supposedly about a really interesting guy). Not a good guitar solo. Also think it could’ve been mixed better to allow the instruments to come through better.  The intro shouldn’t be there.

I always like the song as a display for Axl's vocals; he goes all out on it. 

I *hated* Riad the first time I heard it, which happened to be in concert. They did it in Detroit in 2002 and I'd never heard the song before. I kept saying "What the fuck is this?" to my friend during the song, then at the end I said "SWING AND A MISS, AXL". I'm pretty sure everyone in the venue heard me seeing as there was dead silience/indifference to the song when they finished.

It did grow on me in it's studio form though. I dug the studio leak a lot more and then I ended up liking the album version a great deal. It's in the middle for me, I don't love it and I don't hate it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I thought every leaked version of Riad was way better than the album version (As I do with most of the CD-era stuff). That stupid intro (that they got in legal trouble for, nice work Pitman, now give us CD2 please Chris, and all will be forgiven by the fans)

Bumble's uninspired cluster fuck of a guitar solo was absolute trash, compared to the Robin/Bucket solo in the earlier take. No dig against Bumble, I liked what he added to the title track and his Shackler's solo is pretty good (curious to hear Bucket's advanced take), and while I prefer May's work on Catcher, Bumble played that song well. I like the Josh drums version from the village leaks the best on Riad. Axl's new vocal bits to replace the older vocal track bits also stand out on the album version, where he says "no one had walked as well" towards the end of the song, or is he saying "wove"? I always thought it was "walked" but online lyrics are saying "wove".

Definitely not a song Axl seems to nail down live, sort of like Better. Better, being probably the best officially released CD-era song, is one Axl doesn't perform well live, of course. Sort of like SCOM.

A version of Riad on the locker room leaks elevates the song, IMO. The  laser-sounding noises are turned up in the mix. That and added bass makes the song slap so fuckin’ hard. I like Riad. Lyrically weak, but good tune. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1