Is there anyone who likes Riad N` The Bedouins?

14 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

A version of Riad on the locker room leaks elevates the song, IMO. The  laser-sounding noises are turned up in the mix. That and added bass makes the song slap so fuckin’ hard. I like Riad. Lyrically weak, but good tune. 

Sort of like Scraped, if it didn't have that intro. Most of the songs, dialed back on the production scale are pretty good.

2 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I like the Village version, but I think the finished version from Chinese Democracy is trash. It's IMO the song that suffered overproduction the most, right there with Street of Dreams.

Yeah the village demo with the bass intro and the louder backing vocals in the chorus sounded more like an actual song, at the very least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love the song. By far the best hard rock riff and drums on the record. The album version did fucked up with both drums and bass way too low in the mix and unnecessary overdubs by Bumble on the rhythm guitar, but I quite like the solo. 

Like I said many times, before the Village leaks, it was by far the most "AFD on steroids" sounding, as this is how people described CD in 1999. 

3 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

It definitely has an emo flair to it.

LOL what

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Sort of like Scraped, if it didn't have that intro. Most of the songs, dialed back on the production scale are pretty good.

Scraped was a banger live in 2009-2010. Frank's drum intro elevated the song to a whole another level.

@imsorry did a great remix of that track ;)

I like many, perhaps even most of the song’s individual elements, but the sum is just way less than its parts. The vocals are abrasive and grating to listen to, the lyrics don’t say much to me, and the song overall just fails to evoke any particular mood. And the leaked versions with the heavier mix aren’t much better.

Edited by Flayer

I love Riad. I dont think its some great masterpiece but it's a fun aggressive song. Really like a lot of the guitar parts and Axl's vocals are fantastic. I just feel like the final version was very copy and pasted. And I really miss the "my Bedouin" line at the end. Some of the live versions in '02 were pretty impressive, imo, and you can tell its a song the band was really into playing. 

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Scraped would be much better without all of that “don’t you try and stop us now” shit and get rid of the Axl moaning shit at the beginning. Also needs a better solo....

I liked it when I first heard the bootleg from the HOB show back in 01. It was weird which is what I was expecting from the CD songs based on the descriptions I read in 1999-2000. I thought Madagascar was super weird the first time I heard that song as well but it grew on me immediately. I’ve never liked any of the studio versions of Riad. Mainly because the lyrics are bad. I was super disappointed it actually made the cut for CD because I thought it was by far the worst of all the leaks. But at least it wasn’t the worst song on CD that title belongs to Scraped which has the worst lyrics of any GNR song. 

• Like 1

Love the locker version. I love the lasers, loud drums, vocal melody and bass. One of my go-to songs from the locker leaks, especially Josh drumming. IMHO, the locker version is my no. 1 song to open my fantasy chinese democracy album lol

Edited by jimisbatman
  • Like 1

Honestly I like the version of Riad that ended up on the album, even more than the leaked versions tho I definitely prefer the short intro. The song itself is far from my favorite on CD, but I enjoy it enough that I won’t skip when it comes on. The verses are ok and I really dislike the immigrant song screams but the chorus is great and that’s what saves the song imo

• Like 1

The chorus is a top tier melody. Very catchy IMO. The rest of the song is not.

1st is cool i guess, but way to short, good vocal delivery though. 2nd verse is ass-juice: Dumbed down variation of the riff and weak Axl vocals. 

The ahhs are a little annoying. I can see how they can be accused of ripping of the equally annoying (to me) Immigrant song screech,  but the only similarity I see is that it starts on the same note, the vocal runs are different though 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Scraped was a banger live in 2009-2010. Frank's drum intro elevated the song to a whole another level.

@imsorry did a great remix of that track ;)

Unfortunately, I never got to hear it live. I like what they did to Shackler's when I heard that live. Axl's vocal delivery was way more intense on the live version of that song.

32 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Unfortunately, I never got to hear it live. I like what they did to Shackler's when I heard that live. Axl's vocal delivery was way more intense on the live version of that song.

They played Shackler at the Arnhem show in 2010 too. Kinda changed my mind about the song, because the album version never did anything for me. 

But that was the thing about most CD songs on the 2010 tour, songs like IRS and Madagascar were damn powerfull compared to their flat studioversions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

They played Shackler at the Arnhem show in 2010 too. Kinda changed my mind about the song, because the album version never did anything for me. 

But that was the thing about most CD songs on the 2010 tour, songs like IRS and Madagascar were damn powerfull compared to their flat studioversions.

There were a lot of cool live intros back then too. The live intro to Scraped (in 2009?) was 100 times better than the intro on the album. 

• Like 2