Is there anyone who likes Riad N` The Bedouins?

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

That's exactly how I see it. I have stopped caring what guys like Sebastian Bach has said or others who rave about individual songs. But based on experience, I can be quite confident I will like some of the unreleased/unleaked songs if I ever get to hear them. And feel mighty underwhelmed over others.

CD will mostly be like 2008's CD from a material quality and type of sound, if not changed significantly by the current lineup before release. There will be some great moments, and some meh moments. Of course this time most of us have only heard about a third to half of it already. Where as with CD it was about 75% material we heard from leaks that occurred prior to official release. 

4 minutes ago, something.always said:

Underrated. IMHO great vocals, catchy, killer BH solo. 

Bucket played on the leaked versions (I believe) but the album solo is Bumblefoot, which I didn't like nearly as much.

23 minutes ago, Dangom1 said:

Remember when Bach said Sorry was doom metal 😂

I'm no expect, but Wikipedia's intro bit to Doom metal seems like it's in that realm, at least more so than other tunes on that record.

"Doom metal is an extreme subgenre of heavy metal music that typically uses slower tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much "thicker" or "heavier" sound than other heavy metal genres. Both the music and the lyrics intend to evoke a sense of despair, dread, and impending doom."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

But is it? Sometimes I fell they are both catastrophes. I think I kinda like one, one day and then the next time I hear both it flips. Neither are great songs IMO, but with a lot of effort they could have been at least consistent rockers. 

Thing is I don't think "a lot" of effort was actually needed. Just some little producer tweaks in the demo phase and you would end up with two decent rockers. As it stands they are two average rockers. Compare this to the average rockers on UYI I or II though - there's actually little else that could be done to touch them up to improve them, Rhiad though needed tweaking.

Edited by ToonGuns
Spelling

2 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Thing is I don't think "a lot" of effort was actually needed. Just some little producer tweaks in the demo phase and you would end up with two decent rockers. As it stands they are two average rockers. Compare this to the average rockers on UYI I or II though - there's actually little else that could be done to touch them up to improve them, Rhiad though needed tweaking.

Yeah I would have stripped it right back and let the guitars breathe a bit, smoothed out the abrupt transitions between parts. It wouldn't be that hard, but getting Axl to deviate from his vision might be the real fight 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Coma is a bit long and overdrawn right enough but a decent tune nonetheless. Bizarrely, I really like Estranged but November Rain just never gelled with me. That said I didn't actually mind the piano only version found on the Appetite 30th. But I do find it all a little too happy for my liking!

I love Coma and wouldn't chop anything out. The dynamics match the lyrics / story, it's actually really cleverly done, and the outro wouldn't be anywhere near as effective if the sing was shorter leading up to it.

I used to love NR but most admit in recent years it has started to sound very cheesy. I probably still love it, but you know what I mean...

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah I would have stripped it right back and let the guitars breathe a bit, smoothed out the abrupt transitions between parts. It wouldn't be that hard, but getting Axl to deviate from his vision might be the real fight 

Atlas is another song that has abrupt changes and is a bit all over the place and needs reworking to improve it. Drop the funny dropped beat bits for a start. Catcher also falls into this bracket to a certain extent, the song structure is a bit all over the place and needed bringing back to a more traditional layout using the same melodies etc.

1 minute ago, ToonGuns said:

Atlas is another song that has abrupt changes and is a bit all over the place and needs reworking to improve it. Drop the funny dropped beat bits for a start. Catcher also falls into this bracket to a certain extent, the song structure is a bit all over the place and needed bringing back to a more traditional layout using the same melodies etc.

There are bits of Atlas Shrugged I think are cool, but the thing that REALLY grinds my gears is the horrid chord changes. They are actually fucking awful in my opinion. I get they were trying something different but a bad chord change is a bad chord change regardless of how many layers you stick over the top. I find it unlistenable.

Agree with you on Catcher also. Another one that has potential but all in, nah. The nah nah nah bits are particularly shite!

I will try and bring balance though... Street of Dreams (apart from the awful title) is actually a good example on CD where the songwriting and experimenting come together pretty nicely. And fuck it, I'll throw it in anyway... Oh My God is well written too!

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

You can really hear the mid 90s influence of Soundgarden on Atlas... the difference being soundgarden could weave seemingly awkward parts together and they ended up sounding natural. Again, the producers weren't doing their jobs. I think sometimes the producers get too involved and start encouraging the artist to go crazy when they are already out there. Someone should have said "there's an idea here, but let's workshop how we get there" same issue with Hardscool, same issue with Scraped, Catcher. The best moments on CD were where they stuck to more traditional transitions. Not saying to not push the envelope but you have to realise when something sounds like a unique interesting idea or just a complete awkward gear shift. Atlas has some great parts though, I really hope Duff/Slash can smooth off the edges of that song and cut the fat... if it ever gets released.

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

There are bits of Atlas Shrugged I think are cool, but the thing that REALLY grinds my gears is the horrid chord changes. They are actually fucking awful in my opinion. I get they were trying something different but a bad chord change is a bad chord change regardless of how many layers you stick over the top. I find it unlistenable.

Agree with you on Catcher also. Another one that has potential but all in, nah. The nah nah nah bits are particularly shite!

I will try and bring balance though... Street of Dreams (apart from the awful title) is actually a good example on CD where the songwriting and experimenting come together pretty nicely. And fuck it, I'll throw it in anyway... Oh My God is well written too!

Yeah Catcher was like 3/4s there and they just stopped developing and tried to elevate it with multi-layered piano/vocals/guitar. That could have been a stand out track! I kind of like the nah nahs😄

18 hours ago, Dangom1 said:

Remember when Bach said Sorry was doom metal 😂

While still being FAR (and I really mean far) from doom metal, the instrumental leak from the lockers is a lot heavier than the album version!

• Like 2

Scraped is far better than Riad if you ask me. The version of Scraped with the drum intro and heavier guitars is a regular on my playlists. Riad is something I’ll listen to a few times a year at the most.

• Wow 1

18 minutes ago, Flayer said:

Scraped is far better than Riad if you ask me. The version of Scraped with the drum intro and heavier guitars is a regular on my playlists. Riad is something I’ll listen to a few times a year at the most.

I'd like to hear this. 

2 hours ago, Flayer said:

What version of Scraped is that?! A fan remix?

• Like 1