When Guns N’ Roses Helped Ian Astbury Escape from Cops / Appetite for Distortion

That's how Slash remembered it:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4436-1997-04-04-san-antonio-express-news-no-idle-thoughts-slash

For Slash, San Antonio brings back memories of “gorgeous women'' and a scare from the police after he cursed on stage during a pre- stardom Guns N' Roses gig with the Cult in Sunken Garden Theater.

“Me and (Cult singer) Ian (Astbury) were hiding on the bus after the show,'' he said, laughing. “We got pulled over a few blocks down the road and had to hide in the luggage bays, which are really hot 'cause they're right behind the engine.

“On top of that, we had pockets full of gum we ripped off from a convenience store 'cause we had no cash. But I'm a law-abiding citizen now.''

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

What a fucking show those boys put on. I seen them at the O2 Academy in Glesga at the end of 2019 and Astbury was in fine voice, I really like how his voice has aged. Duffy jumping between Gretsch and Les Paul’s makes me forever jealous.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mystery said:

The date of the article linked is April 97. Going by that, I've always wondered why Slash carried on as if he was still in the band when he left months before. Even if the article was written before, Slash left 6 months previous.

In the interview Slash mentions having been in Spain recently, which was in late March 1997, so the interview was conducted just a few days before it was published.

From this and other interviews at least until the first half of 1997, it seems that the breakup wasn't seen as a permanent thing yet, at least on Slash's part. See here for more:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5024-20-november-1996-august-1997-robin-replaces-slash-but-matt-and-duff-quits#20307

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In the interview Slash mentions having been in Spain recently, which was in late March 1997, so the interview was conducted just a few days before it was published.

From this and other interviews at least until the first half of 1997, it seems that the breakup wasn't seen as a permanent thing yet, at least on Slash's part. See here for more:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5024-20-november-1996-august-1997-robin-replaces-slash-but-matt-and-duff-quits#20307

Thanks. This website is like the Chinese Whispers one but more digestible. Del is such a lame yes man. I'd like to think Slash pulled a George Costanza here.

• Thanks 1