The Beatles - Get Back - Peter Jackson Doc

RussTCB

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Holy shit. I knew this was coming but I had NO idea it was going to be SIX hours. Hell yeah! 

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/“-beatles-get-back”-disney-original-documentary-series-directed-peter-jackson-debut-exclusively

yeah seems like the plan changed maybe.

Because it was originally going to be in theaters and what not too...not that they can't do three showings of the three separate parts but it sure seemed the plan was to make like a 2 hour or so film, rather than a small series.

the more the better though! I can't wait.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:19 AM, RussTCB said:

Holy shit. I knew this was coming but I had NO idea it was going to be SIX hours. Hell yeah! 

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/“-beatles-get-back”-disney-original-documentary-series-directed-peter-jackson-debut-exclusively

How does this differ from the anthology series done back in the 90s? 

21 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

How does this differ from the anthology series done back in the 90s? 

This isn't anything like the Beatles Anthology series at all. That series was an overview of their entire career. 

This is a whole different animal. There was about 50+ hours of footage shot when The Beatles were recording their last album and playing their last concert. 

It was initially released as the movie Let It Be but all the footage was paired down to a 90 minute film that really played up the downside to their relationship as a band. 

The original film has been long out of print and is disliked by nearly all Beatles fans and certainly The Beatles themselves.

This new film is the result of Peter Jackson combing through the original 50+ hours of footage to find all the best parts. He wanted to show what The Beatles were really like as a band good, bad and ugly. 

All of the footage has been completely restored and 95% of what made the new project has never been seen before. In short, this is huge for Beatles fans and fans of music in general. 

The original plan was for it to be released as a 2 hour film in theaters last year. For obvious reasons, that plan was scrapped and the last update said that film was going to be released in theaters in August. 

Instead, we're getting this new mega version via steaming. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

I thought that initially, that it was footage from the let it be sessions, I didn’t realize there was that amount of footage! 
I saw the trailer when it was released a few months ago, it looks like this will be a must watch!

Yeah, all signs point to this being something special. I'm what I would consider a casual Beatles fan and I'm excited as all get out for it. I can't imagine what long time die hard Beatles fans must be thinking. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

This is a whole different animal. There was about 50+ hours of footage shot when The Beatles were recording their last album and playing their last concert. 

2nd to last album, just last released.

The way it was released and how the narrative was "the beatles breaking up" in the hogg film always has people forgetting that for a band that was breaking up, they went and recorded a little thing called Abbey Road after that.

except of course for "I, Me, Mine" which was recorded after John had quit the band which begs the question..."is it really a beatles song?"

Edited by Stiff Competition

24 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

2nd to last album, just last released.

The way it was released and how the narrative was "the beatles breaking up" in the hogg film always has people forgetting that for a band that was breaking up, they went and recorded a little thing called Abbey Road after that.

except of course for "I, Me, Mine" which was recorded after John had quit the band which begs the question..."is it really a beatles song?"

See? That's why I consider myself a casual Beatles fan. I always forget stuff like that about the order of release for the last two albums.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 12:11 AM, Crazyman said:

How banal this will be? One may only guess. Expectations low = better results. Many hours = ?

idk why I was so cynical a few months ago, I'm actually pretty excited for this :lol:

60 Minutes had an interview with Peter Jackson last night, too. We're getting closer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazyman said:

idk why I was so cynical a few months ago, I'm actually pretty excited for this :lol:

60 Minutes had an interview with Peter Jackson last night, too. We're getting closer!

The latest clips have been amazing. I really think this is gonna live up to the hype. 

• Like 3

I’m not the biggest Beatles fan but can’t wait for this. 

Anyone remember when the Anthology series was released back in the 90s. I recorded each of them on VHS each week. I was so paranoid about missing each one I rang home from the pub pay phone every Saturday night “Are you recording that Beatles program, are you sure” 

I remember the last one was broadcast on New Year’s Eve. I watched it at 6am when I got home. 
I’d recommend the Anthology series to anyone who likes music, not  just Beatles fanatics or mildly appreciative fans like myself. 

This looks to be as well done as that series was. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the first part! The infamous "fight" scene between Paul and George is in it. Paul also got into it with John about remembering the lyrics to "Two of Us". I'm kind of shocked how openly they talk about getting a divorce, too, especially that early in the sessions.

If the Beatles truly want to milk all that material for what it's worth they should release an outtake album - they covered/jammed on even more songs than I remembered, and I knew going in there was a ton.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's just because John was lacking for material during this era, but he always made it seem like (in interviews after they broke up) he was the one helping Paul out and always downplaying Paul's contributions to his songs...this documentary almost makes it seem like the exact opposite. I know John was always kinda like that, especially after he left, but Paul was definitely helping John more than the other way around. I can see why they were getting sick of him taking lead too, btw. 

My Thanksgiving celebration actually got delayed until tomorrow around noon...part 2 gets posted at 2 AM. Do I risk staying up until 5ish watching it? :lol:

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 2

I watched the first part. I can understand the criticism it received for being too long (and I haven't even watched half of it), but it kinda worked as a time machine for me, like you're transported back to 1969 and hanging out with The Beatles and hearing them talk about trivia like what they watched on TV the night before. A lot of those scenes could have been edited out, but it gives you that ''fly on the wall'' feeling and that's pretty cool. Paul definitely takes the most initiative and is the one who seems to be the most active in the band.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

Finished the third part last night. It was quite a ride. I watched 1,5 hour at a time spread out over the weekend, so it feels like I spent the entire weekend hanging out with The Beatles. A lot of people say that you can see a band falling apart, but apart from obvious tension and the lack of direction and discipline, I am not really seeing that. Most of the time they are working on songs together and goofing around. Lots of silliness and goofing around going on.

Maybe it's because I've been playing in bands for half my life, but these kind of struggles are just part of the job. It's not like in that Metallica film where you see a band almost breaking up and serious tension between bandmembers. Even when George left the band it happened quite suddenly and merely a few days later he's back playing with them as if nothing had happened.

Another thing I missed was John's drug issues. Apparently he was doing heroin at the time and I read in one review that he's stoned out of his mind, but I must have missed that. It could explain why Paul had kinda taken over leadership at that point and John not being so active, but I suppose there can be many reasons for that.

All in all, a pretty unique documentary. Probably too long for non-Beatles fans, but still a must see.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 5:33 AM, EvanG said:

Finished the third part last night. It was quite a ride. I watched 1,5 hour at a time spread out over the weekend, so it feels like I spent the entire weekend hanging out with The Beatles. A lot of people say that you can see a band falling apart, but apart from obvious tension and the lack of direction and discipline, I am not really seeing that. Most of the time they are working on songs together and goofing around. Lots of silliness and goofing around going on.

Maybe it's because I've been playing in bands for half my life, but these kind of struggles are just part of the job. It's not like in that Metallica film where you see a band almost breaking up and serious tension between bandmembers. Even when George left the band it happened quite suddenly and merely a few days later he's back playing with them as if nothing had happened.

Another thing I missed was John's drug issues. Apparently he was doing heroin at the time and I read in one review that he's stoned out of his mind, but I must have missed that. It could explain why Paul had kinda taken over leadership at that point and John not being so active, but I suppose there can be many reasons for that.

All in all, a pretty unique documentary. Probably too long for non-Beatles fans, but still a must see.

I know it's kinda mentioned in the doc, but recording so quickly after recording the White Album wasn't the greatest idea and definitely led to some of the tensions, in addition to the other parts you brought up.

I'm not sure if it's the editing (especially compared to the original doc), but I'm glad this broke the myth that this was the thing that broke them apart.

In a perfect world they would've taken a few months off to start the new year, let Ringo do the movie while they work on some songs, then come back and record Let It Be (or Abbey Road). Maybe that could've prolonged the band to make another record or two that we never got. 

• Like 1

I think one of my favourite moments was when Paul noticed the police officers on the roof and then got a smile on his face and screamed ''whoo'' into the microphone.

It's also kinda a testament to how young these guys really were at the time. Only mid to late 20's, yet their career as a Beatle was already almost over. Crazy.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

Finished it last night. 

The first part felt like a bit if a slog. I love the songs Don’t Let Me Down and I’ve Got a Feeling but a few of the outtakes could have been cut. That said, it was really cool to see them working through song concepts and lyrics.  I always assumed that most songs came fully formed by either Paul or John, but at least with many of the songs that ended up on Let It Be that doesn’t seem to be the case.

The highlight for me was watching Paul coming up with Get Back (while George and Ringo watch on looking incredibly bored). Anyone who has written a song or two will appreciate this spark of creativity as Paul sits on a chair and works his way to the melody line of the verse, which allows him to find the rest of the song. It’s one of those rare moments of watching genius in action.

It really seemed like John was high out of his skull throughout the first episode.  I guess that was good for Paul as it gave him a little more real estate to run things, which The Beatles apparently needed.  I thought Paul was being as diplomatic as possible and he definitely came off best in this first episode.  And I found myself agreeing with most of his takes through this bit.  George did not seem like a happy or fun guy to be around and it’s not at all surprising he felt he needed a break.

I felt it picked up a bit in the second episode.  You can see the mood of the band shifting once they transitioned more into making an album than some intangible production.

Christ I could have done without hearing Yoko singing. Good on Paul for at least indulging Yoko and John in that nonsense.  I would have walked out three seconds in. 

The performance on the roof in the third episode was glorious. I had never seen the original film so watching it unfold the first time was great.  The film definitely makes it feel like a celebration of sorts.  It’s really cool how several of the takes they recorded on the roof made it onto the album. It’s probably one of the coolest things a band has ever done. It’s hilarious how it only really occurs to the band members after the fact that the police might be stopping by. I always just assumed it was one of those last minute things they decided to do.

Also interested to watch how grounded they were considering they were the biggest act in the world. George driving himself to the studio, John helping to load in equipment, Ringo fixing his drum kit on the roof once he realized it wasn’t setup properly. Considering the prima donna nature that rock stars were taking on (which Axl became notorious for a few decades later), it’s really nice to watch the four biggest rock stars in the world act the way they do.  The three part film does a wonderful job of pushing back on the seriousness of each member. For most of the film they are goofing around, having fun, enjoying each other’s company.  It was an amazing moment in time that felt both joyous but also conscious of how fragile it all was.

It’s crazy to think that they were back in the studio six weeks later recording Abbey Road. 

• Like 3