The Beatles - Get Back - Peter Jackson Doc

RussTCB

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Holy shit. I knew this was coming but I had NO idea it was going to be SIX hours. Hell yeah! 

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/“-beatles-get-back”-disney-original-documentary-series-directed-peter-jackson-debut-exclusively

yeah seems like the plan changed maybe.

Because it was originally going to be in theaters and what not too...not that they can't do three showings of the three separate parts but it sure seemed the plan was to make like a 2 hour or so film, rather than a small series.

the more the better though! I can't wait.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:19 AM, RussTCB said:

Holy shit. I knew this was coming but I had NO idea it was going to be SIX hours. Hell yeah! 

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/“-beatles-get-back”-disney-original-documentary-series-directed-peter-jackson-debut-exclusively

How does this differ from the anthology series done back in the 90s? 

21 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

How does this differ from the anthology series done back in the 90s? 

This isn't anything like the Beatles Anthology series at all. That series was an overview of their entire career. 

This is a whole different animal. There was about 50+ hours of footage shot when The Beatles were recording their last album and playing their last concert. 

It was initially released as the movie Let It Be but all the footage was paired down to a 90 minute film that really played up the downside to their relationship as a band. 

The original film has been long out of print and is disliked by nearly all Beatles fans and certainly The Beatles themselves.

This new film is the result of Peter Jackson combing through the original 50+ hours of footage to find all the best parts. He wanted to show what The Beatles were really like as a band good, bad and ugly. 

All of the footage has been completely restored and 95% of what made the new project has never been seen before. In short, this is huge for Beatles fans and fans of music in general. 

The original plan was for it to be released as a 2 hour film in theaters last year. For obvious reasons, that plan was scrapped and the last update said that film was going to be released in theaters in August. 

Instead, we're getting this new mega version via steaming. 

• Like 1

I thought that initially, that it was footage from the let it be sessions, I didn’t realize there was that amount of footage! 
I saw the trailer when it was released a few months ago, it looks like this will be a must watch!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

I thought that initially, that it was footage from the let it be sessions, I didn’t realize there was that amount of footage! 
I saw the trailer when it was released a few months ago, it looks like this will be a must watch!

Yeah, all signs point to this being something special. I'm what I would consider a casual Beatles fan and I'm excited as all get out for it. I can't imagine what long time die hard Beatles fans must be thinking. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

This is a whole different animal. There was about 50+ hours of footage shot when The Beatles were recording their last album and playing their last concert. 

2nd to last album, just last released.

The way it was released and how the narrative was "the beatles breaking up" in the hogg film always has people forgetting that for a band that was breaking up, they went and recorded a little thing called Abbey Road after that.

except of course for "I, Me, Mine" which was recorded after John had quit the band which begs the question..."is it really a beatles song?"

Edited by Stiff Competition

24 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

2nd to last album, just last released.

The way it was released and how the narrative was "the beatles breaking up" in the hogg film always has people forgetting that for a band that was breaking up, they went and recorded a little thing called Abbey Road after that.

except of course for "I, Me, Mine" which was recorded after John had quit the band which begs the question..."is it really a beatles song?"

See? That's why I consider myself a casual Beatles fan. I always forget stuff like that about the order of release for the last two albums.

• Like 1