Slash's 10 best guitar solos ranked

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

And they neglect to mention Messages, which is arguably one of the greatest things he's ever done.

No Nightrain, no Locomotive outro, no Anastasia, no Don't Damn Me...

Listing Monkey Chow when the album's full of prime Slash solos including Back and Forth Again and Soma City Ward...

It's not easy to create such list with top ten of Slash's best solos and it's opinion based, I get that... I still don't like this list.

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

And they neglect to mention Messages, which is arguably one of the greatest things he's ever done.

Love that solo, but I was glad to see Give In To Me get the nod. I literally clicked on the link just to see if that was included. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Agree with Serial Killer, that's an amazing solo. Also agree with Give In To Me.

Street Child is missing.

Double Talkin' Jive is Izzy though... 😳

Serial Killer and Give In To Me are reasonable. 

Double Talkin Jive isn't Izzy though ;)

We had this discussion two times already on this board.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Well the writer seems to know a thing or two about playing guitar

I don't doubt that, but I don't think you should rank Slash's solos by its technicality. As somebody who don't play guitar, I'm not really interested in what techniques he's using or how difficult something is that he plays, as long as it giving me chills. :shrugs:

Edited by Free Bird

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Serial Killer and Give In To Me are reasonable. 

Double Talkin Jive isn't Izzy though ;)

We had this discussion two times already on this board.

Haha yeah... my comment was tongue in cheek, hence the emoji. 

What I will say though is DTJ studio version isn't up there... but the live version (which definitely is Slash) absolutely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

What I will say though is DTJ studio version isn't up there... but the live version (which definitely is Slash) absolutely.

Totally agree with that, album version of DTJ is overall too mechanical and sterile sounding in production to be great. But the UYI era live versions are amazing, Argentina 92 or 93 probably the best, or Tokyo, Paris is good too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Haha yeah... my comment was tongue in cheek, hence the emoji. 

As simple as the studio version is, it's an awesome song but the live version is epic and its solo definitely one of Slash's best.

• Like 2

For me Slash always has his best solos on ballads for some reason. For a guy who hates them, he's really good at them, lol. SCOM, NR, Estranged, of course those 3, but listen to Back and Forth Again, Gravedancer (Ending), Back To The Moment, Battleground (Ending). I get goosebumps in all if them. For him to come up with something like Battleground, almost 30 years into his career, is incredible. Especially if you compare it to the junk most other 80s acts release as new music.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

For me Slash always has his best solos on ballads for some reason.

One of his recent solos that I enjoy the most is the one in “The One You Loved Is Gone” from Living The Dream.

So I totally agree :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

One of his recent solos that I enjoy the most is the one in “The One You Loved Is Gone” from Living The Dream.

So I totally agree :)

Overall a very underrated song IMO, I relistened to Living The Dream a couple of days back and this one really stood out! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Reminds me of Parisienne Walkways and Still Got The Blues (For You) by Gary Moore.

yeah Slash said it was the hardest song to create on the album and that it was kind of a tribute to Gary.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Out of the many guest appearances I think the song Where You Belong which is on Carmine Appice' record Guitar Zeus has one of the very best Slash solos. Great work throughout the song. I think I never have heard anyone here ever mention this track. If you don’t know it, check it out. Not a fan of the chorus but the verses are fine and the guitar is awesome.

• Thanks 1