June 21, 1991 - You Could Be Mine was released as a single

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

R-3911286-1349352820-6124.jpeg.jpg

You Could Be Mine was released as a single 30 years ago, about one month into the UYI tour, and was featured in Terminator 2 a couple weeks later.

It's probably the most "AFD sounding" song on the UYI albums, which isn't surprising since it was written during pre-production for AFD, and it was usually a highlight whenever it was played during the UYI tour. It's one of the best rocker's they've ever done, and it was a great live song for a long time.

An alternate version of the video was posted online by the director several years ago, along with videos for Mr. Brownstone and My Michelle. The alternate version has no Terminator 2 footage: https://streamable.com/3xpa5k

If they do a UYI anniversary reissue, hopefully they include a demo or rehearsal version of this song.

Wow, I wasn't aware it was written that far back. Cool stuff. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Wow, I wasn't aware it was written that far back. Cool stuff. 

They played a demo of it for a Kerrang journalist when they did the Marquee 1987 shows. It might've only been instrumental(?) but since there were some lyrics in the AFD booklet, it was probably fairly complete in the AFD era, at least in the same way that Ain't Goin' Down, Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry etc. were complete. In Slash's book he said he "always thought it should've been on AFD".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Hearing this during Terminator 2 made me a fan of the band. It's my favourite song.

That said I'd like the band to play this sparingly or as part of the encore.

I've heard it enough to the point that I rarely listen to it when I'm listening to UYI II. I've always thought it was oddly placed on that album and should've been on 1 with the other rockers. Maybe swap it out for November Rain.

The song's also perfectly used in the movie and used to set the tone for John  Connor as this rebellious kid, at least in the beginning of the movie.

I think I saw the premiere on MTV. Great moment after having waited since 1988 on the follow-.up to Appetite. I didn't like the new drummer with the poodle hair and the production was more polished and less sleazy than on Appetite, so it took some getting used to. Great song with a fantastic bridge, though, and the movie was awesome. I cringed at Axl's vocals at the very end of the song, and still do, especially with the tacky "yeah". Also never liked how me pronounced "mine" and "line" in the chorus. But great song and bode well for the Illusions.

A slight OT, but I remember the times when I first heard YCBM from Rio 91 on a cassette. Nobody had seen the video at that point, and during the song (I think it was Night 2), Axl’s mic stand fell down, and he basically had troubles with microphones throughout the song (the substitute one wasn’t loud enough). Then Izzy sang instead. And well, not knowing anything in those times before the internet, we all thought Axl just couldn’t sing. Especially during the spurting part, which he consequently totally skimped. 
There were a lot of tales about this band back then which were completely misguided. 
Ironically, "Axl" and "couldn’t sing" is not something we’ve been completely unfamiliarised with in some of the recent years, is it. 
Anyway, great song, great times. 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think I saw the premiere on MTV. Great moment after having waited since 1988 on the follow-.up to Appetite. I didn't like the new drummer with the poodle hair and the production was more polished and less sleazy than on Appetite, so it took some getting used to. Great song with a fantastic bridge, though, and the movie was awesome. I cringed at Axl's vocals at the very end of the song, and still do, especially with the tacky "yeah". Also never liked how me pronounced "mine" and "line" in the chorus. But great song and bode well for the Illusions.

Same, as far as I can remember. :D

Loved the video. Matt looked a bit dorky with his hair back then, but everything else was great. I love the Illusions era.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl was cool then he could get away with a nice yeahhhhh i don't know why or what you think would be better 

9 hours ago, metallex78 said:

To me YCBM, is an example of them taking the template of awesomeness from AFD, and actually bettering it.

This song has everything that is great about classic GNR - a killer drum intro by Sorum, an Izzy written riff, an awesome bass intro and overall groove by Duff, pure slashy slashing Slash lead guitar riff, and verse riffs, and that solo!

Then you add Axl screaming like a banshee over the top, and it’s just perfection.

Screaming like Banshee.😄 Does anyone remember the movie Night Of The Creeps?

• Haha 1

I remember watching terminator 2 with my cousins in 1992 or 1993 and that’s when I first heard YCBM and I’m sure I’d probably heard other GNR songs prior to that, but this is the first time I know for absolute certain I heard a GNR song. It was a gradual move towards becoming a huge GNR fan in the early 2000’s with help from sharing a birthday with Steven Adler(as I’ve mentioned before) along the way. 

I absolutely love the song though and the drum intro from Matt sorum is superb and instantly recognisable, and as much as I love Steven adler, having heard his “version” of the intro I’m glad it was the matt sorum version that was on the song. It’s the one song that my non GNR friends all like which says something that they like the song. 

Top tier material. They were all firing on all cylinders, total balls to the wall and props to Matt for that intro. Over the years, I find myself listening to the Live Era version more than the album cut, though that's the same with most of the songs to be fair. If you haven't heard the performance from the L'ARC 2010 show, do something about it!

YCBM and WTTJ are the 2 GnR songs that I play for anyone who needs an intro to GnR. YCBM especially is everything that is great about GnR wrapped up in one song.

11 hours ago, metallex78 said:

To me YCBM, is an example of them taking the template of awesomeness from AFD, and actually bettering it.

This song has everything that is great about classic GNR - a killer drum intro by Sorum, an Izzy written riff, an awesome bass intro and overall groove by Duff, pure slashy slashing Slash lead guitar riff, and verse riffs, and that solo!

Then you add Axl screaming like a banshee over the top, and it’s just perfection.

This 100%

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

Accord Ultimate Classic Rock YCBM had different title : "Cocaine Talking".

The original source is likely Hit Parader from October 1988:

Duff: We don’t do drugs - but we do drink a lot. A lot of the drug rumors about us started because we have a song called Cocaine Talking on the album. But that song’s not about us or our experiences with the drug. If you listen to the lyrics, it’s about how all these nice young girls in L.A. can’t do anything before they do their coke. The song’s definitely not a pro-cocaine song. It’s about how the shit really fucks up your head.

Yeah, the band was definitely not doing drugs... :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The original source is likely Hit Parader from October 1988:

Duff: We don’t do drugs - but we do drink a lot. A lot of the drug rumors about us started because we have a song called Cocaine Talking on the album. But that song’s not about us or our experiences with the drug. If you listen to the lyrics, it’s about how all these nice young girls in L.A. can’t do anything before they do their coke. The song’s definitely not a pro-cocaine song. It’s about how the shit really fucks up your head.

Yeah, the band was definitely not doing drugs... :D

Is he talking about the same song?