June 21, 1991 - You Could Be Mine was released as a single

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The original source is likely Hit Parader from October 1988:

Duff: We don’t do drugs - but we do drink a lot. A lot of the drug rumors about us started because we have a song called Cocaine Talking on the album. But that song’s not about us or our experiences with the drug. If you listen to the lyrics, it’s about how all these nice young girls in L.A. can’t do anything before they do their coke. The song’s definitely not a pro-cocaine song. It’s about how the shit really fucks up your head.

Yeah, the band was definitely not doing drugs... :D

Yeah, we all know they never doing drugs..... :D Duff was and still is very diplomatic guy.....

23 hours ago, mystery said:

I've heard it enough to the point that I rarely listen to it when I'm listening to UYI II. I've always thought it was oddly placed on that album and should've been on 1 with the other rockers.

I think of it as a pick me up. A shot in the arm. I don't think they could have followed Estranged with another mid tempo song. I think you need a lift after listening to Estranged.

Could argue that You Could Be Mine would have been a good album closer (if you were to ignore Don't Cry's alternative lyrics and My World).

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:25 AM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Hearing this during Terminator 2 made me a fan of the band. It's my favourite song.

That said I'd like the band to play this sparingly or as part of the encore.

I remember in 1991 myself, when I was a little 5 year old kid watching the scenes in Terminator 2 when John was being a cheeky little shitbag to his foster parents Janelle and Tod, acting like a total rebel, then riding down that road, as I'm hearing snippets of the song throughout these parts, and then in the ending credits just hearing it full-on blast with the intro jam; that drum intro through to the slide-guitar intertwining with the horse-gallop-style drum rhythm, then that insanely building-up drum bridge until that guitar just purely orgasms in a solo and then finally Axl sings his verse and goes in that famous extension of vowels in the chorus. I was just BLOWN AWAY! I thought "Now THAT is real music!!!". Ever since then, I have been a raging maniac of a fan. 

17 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The original source is likely Hit Parader from October 1988:

Duff: We don’t do drugs - but we do drink a lot. A lot of the drug rumors about us started because we have a song called Cocaine Talking on the album. But that song’s not about us or our experiences with the drug. If you listen to the lyrics, it’s about how all these nice young girls in L.A. can’t do anything before they do their coke. The song’s definitely not a pro-cocaine song. It’s about how the shit really fucks up your head.

Yeah, the band was definitely not doing drugs... :D

That's truly an outstanding quote.

"We don't do drugs."

I guess Slash actually encountered the shadow monsters for real.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

They also never treated women badly, according to Duff "Punk as Fuck" McKagan

That whole bit from Duff trying so hard to fit It's So Easy into some sort of woke discussion was just awful. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Screamin' Demon said:

I remember in 1991 myself, when I was a little 5 year old kid watching the scenes in Terminator 2 when John was being a cheeky little shitbag to his foster parents Janelle and Tod, acting like a total rebel, then riding down that road, as I'm hearing snippets of the song throughout these parts, and then in the ending credits just hearing it full-on blast with the intro jam; that drum intro through to the slide-guitar intertwining with the horse-gallop-style drum rhythm, then that insanely building-up drum bridge until that guitar just purely orgasms in a solo and then finally Axl sings his verse and goes in that famous extension of vowels in the chorus. I was just BLOWN AWAY! I thought "Now THAT is real music!!!". Ever since then, I have been a raging maniac of a fan. 

I also enjoyed You Could Be Mine's brief cameo in Terminator Salvation.

IIRC the forum speculated if the song would appear at all.

One of their best songs, love everything about it, the energy, the blues roots, the rhythm section, the smashing guitars, the guitar solo and surely it's one of Axl's finest vocal performances. If it had better lyrics I'd consider it the ultimate GNR song, up there with SCOM.

It's an incrredibly hard song to perform for a vocalist, no wonder in concert he is often below the standard he set on the recording. I remember some time ago whenever he was adding that "with your ass in the air" bit to the first verse he seemed relaxed and confident and deliver a close to perfection performance of that song in concert, rasp and screams and the extended "mine" at the end included. Or maybe I was just lucky. But he sounded fine on that song at the shows I went to.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I think of it as a pick me up. A shot in the arm. I don't think they could have followed Estranged with another mid tempo song. I think you need a lift after listening to Estranged.

Could argue that You Could Be Mine would have been a good album closer (if you were to ignore Don't Cry's alternative lyrics and My World).

I realized this after I posted. YCBM definitely works as an album closer. Move Don't Cry somewhere else on the album and make My World a fun B-Side instead of this weird ending to a great album.

36 minutes ago, mystery said:

I realized this after I posted. YCBM definitely works as an album closer. Move Don't Cry somewhere else on the album and make My World a fun B-Side instead of this weird ending to a great album.

Where would you place Don't Cry's alternate lyrics in your running order?

1 hour ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Where would you place Don't Cry's alternate lyrics in your running order?

I'd make it track 4 to have it mirror UYI 1. After Yesterdays and before KOHD. That or either Don't Cry or YCBM as the last song on 2.

• Like 1

Classic tune, or perhaps more memorable of a great time to be a gnr fan... Buzz was created, we knew things were happening! Watching as your favourite, idolised, almost as a cult, band were taking over the world - against the odds. Regardless of how it went a few years later, this time will never be forgotten. ✌️

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

They played a demo of it for a Kerrang journalist when they did the Marquee 1987 shows. It might've only been instrumental(?) but since there were some lyrics in the AFD booklet, it was probably fairly complete in the AFD era, at least in the same way that Ain't Goin' Down, Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry etc. were complete. In Slash's book he said he "always thought it should've been on AFD".

Had You Could be mine made AFD and taken the place of say anything goes…..OMG…..it’s breaks my brain to think about…..AFD is already one of the top ten greatest hard rock albums ever and you add buy far the best hard rock song from the illusions to that…..yowzers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mystery said:

To me, YCBM is too much of a kick-ass song to be a closer. It pumps you up - and then what, the end? Wtf? Yeah, it's like PC at live shows, but we're used to that. Out of the UYI2 songs, if the order should be different, then the only one I can think of would fit this purpose is Estranged. That would be a good ending song. Kinda sad, but then, maybe still better than My World. 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

To me, YCBM is too much of a kick-ass song to be a closer. It pumps you up - and then what, the end? Wtf? Yeah, it's like PC at live shows, but we're used to that. Out of the UYI2 songs, if the order should be different, then the only one I can think of would fit this purpose is Estranged. That would be a good ending song. Kinda sad, but then, maybe still better than My World. 

A lot of configurations work better than what was released. The most simple one is as is minus My World. The point I made before is YCBM seems like a better fit for 1.

Haven't checked but is there an official version of the video on the Guns n Roses channel? Also in live versions Axl always adds "with your ass in the air", after leave you lying on the bed.