5 Years Ago Today - NITL Tour Kick Off

Just now, Sweersa said:

Looks like a great time! My dad and I were at the show. I don't think we were aware of your pre-party then though. Are you within walking distance from downtown?

We're about 15 minutes northwest of downtown. So we all made arrangements for DDs and/or Ubers to make sure everyone was safe. 

All told, there was probably about 40 people there at different points throughout the day. I wanna say 10 or 15 were forum members, but I can't remember exactly who. 

• GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

We're about 15 minutes northwest of downtown. So we all made arrangements for DDs and/or Ubers to make sure everyone was safe. 

All told, there was probably about 40 people there at different points throughout the day. I wanna say 10 or 15 were forum members, but I can't remember exactly who. 

Sounds like a good time! Good idea too. Did any of the members play CD2 stuff for you? ;)

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

You forgot me! :P

Honestly, the 2016 Detroit show was my favorite concert of all time and I don't see anything topping it unless Led Zeppelin reunites. 

It was perfect for me. The hangout at Russ' was a blast and I ended up staying later than I planned. Didn't think I'd get a barrier spot, but lo and behold, I scored front row center. The Vegas trip and show was extremely special for me, but that gig almost felt like an appetizer to the stadium gig. Axl was out of the chair and was more active than I'd seen him in the past (aside from maybe 2010), and he sounded AWESOME. The band felt tighter than in Vegas, too. It felt like UYI Tour Part 2 (I'm sure it wasn't, but you know what I mean).

I saw them a week or two later in Chicago and that was incredible too, but being front row center for Detroit was unreal. Vegas was the warm up, Detroit was the main event, and Chicago was the come down for me. Sure, I wish Steven and Izzy were there but the 2016 gigs were very special, and for me, great closure for really caring about GNR. I would not trade those 3 gigs and the memories for a new record. 

Jesus Christ, how did I forget you?! Sorry dude! You've probably been to my house more times than anyone who was there that day outside of wagszilla lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Just gotta invite the right people, I guess! I wish L!VE FREE (Brodie) was still around. 

I miss him dearly. 

A former band member has hung out at my house more than a few times but even he didn't play any CD2 stuff when he was there lol. 

Fine by me though. The locker leaks proved to me that I'm not really all that interested in hearing anything until they get around to officially releasing it. 

36 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

A former band member has hung out at my house more than a few times but even he didn't play any CD2 stuff when he was there lol. 

Fine by me though. The locker leaks proved to me that I'm not really all that interested in hearing anything until they get around to officially releasing it. 

The best stuff wasn't in the locker leaks. It was just a little taste.

My dad and I met Bumblefoot in Detroit too. 2012. Nice guy! I was star struck of course and only managed to compliment him on his hat.

Just now, Sweersa said:

The best stuff wasn't in the locker leaks. It was just a little taste.

My dad and I met Bumblefoot in Detroit too. 2012. Nice guy! I was star struck of course and only managed to compliment him on his hat.

Maybe someday, the rest of the world will get to hear GN'R songs only the coolest of kids have heard so far :)

A bunch of us were out there with Bumble in 2012, that was a fun time.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Ha- I love those signs! Sounds a great time! 

I wasn't there obviously, but it's really cool to be reminded of quite how excited I was for the first show I personally saw. Absolutely incredible - such a thrill. 

Rule number one was the most important rule of the day lol. 

We really did have a great time all day. From 9am on we drank, played video games, talked music, listened to a ton go great albums and just had a blast in general. All leading up to a great concert. It was an epic day. 

• Like 2

That was a fun day, minus the parking/driving situation in and around Detroit.  

It was really cool of Russ to open his doors to forum members and fellow fans.  If you ever get an invite to check out Russ's place, do so.  To say it's just an astonishing record collection is an understatement.

The air was electric that night; it felt similar to the 2002 shows when people weren't sure what they were about to see (or whether they were going to see anything).  I saw them twice in 2016 (Detroit, Toronto) and three more in 2017 (Buffalo, Toronto x 2).  Detroit '16 and Toronto '17 (second night) were some of my favourite GNR experiences in the last twenty years.  

• GNFNR 2

Even in Mid-2017 they had a fire still. I saw them 2nd night in London and it was a great weekend. Band was good and the weather was hot - everyone was having a great time. So glad I got to see Axl, Slash and Duff together. Good memories. 👍

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

That party at Russ' was so much fun - well worth heading out there to catch the opening night just for that. Had a blast the whole day (Including and perhaps especially cracking our first beers at 9 AM :lol:), nice to meet lots of new forum members IRL that day, and of course seeing some pre-existing friends like @ZoSoRose, @downzy, and @gunsguy (At the gig, sadly he couldn't make the party). I've still got my "Where's Izzy?" mask somewhere from that day. And the gig itself was quite good - certainly my favorite NITL era show I've seen. First time hearing Coma, Raw Power, and DTJ live, and I still get goosebumps thinking about Out Ta Get Me at that gig - Axl was absolutely spitting venom on that one. 

It's funny, for me, every NITL era gig I've attended has been memorable - not because of the gig, but because of the experiences surrounding them. Other than Detroit, the other three NITL gigs I saw are almost entirely a blur, other than I remember Axl singing part of Only Women Bleed in Buffalo in 2017. Detroit 2016 had the excellent pre-party at @RussTCB's house, Buffalo 2017 I had a blast with @downzy in the pit, and Montreal 2017 I spent the entire weekend (I mean literally the entire weekend) eating poutine with @Amir. Pittsburgh 2016 wasn't all that memorable :lol: 

I've still got a couple of the Where's Izzy masks from that day too. They're not part of the history down there in my music area. Whenever anyone sees one and asks about it, I get to tell the story of the epic pre party. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2016 was an amazing year, probably the one I enjoyed the most since I follow Gn’R. Sadly that level of hype that you could feel in this forum is never going to happen again. It was all good news, one day after the other, for a whole year. The show threads were loaded with pics and videos and happy stories. So many memories.

Not even a new album or an AFD5 reunion can bring that back for that amount of time. Surely this place would meltdown but only for a couple of weeks. 2016 was truly the perfect year to be a Gn’R fan, and I think it was something that cannot be replicated again.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

2016 was an amazing year, probably the one I enjoyed the most since I follow Gn’R. Sadly that level of hype that you could feel in this forum is never going to happen again. It was all good news, one day after the other, for a whole year. The show threads were loaded with pics and videos and happy stories. So many memories.

Not even a new album or an AFD5 reunion can bring that back for that amount of time. Surely this place would meltdown but only for a couple of weeks. 2016 was truly the perfect year to be a Gn’R fan, and I think it was something that cannot be replicated again.

I agree

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've still got a couple of the Where's Izzy masks from that day too. They're not part of the history down there in my music area. Whenever anyone sees one and asks about it, I get to tell the story of the epic pre party. 

I still have mine, too

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1