Local products thread

Jabberwocky

I'm always interested in what people make and grow in their neck of the woods, so I figured I'd make a thread so I can see whatever is being made. I'll start off with some locally made honey from a small mom & pop business called Long December Honey Co. This isn't made all year round and because I work in the same building as the woman who makes it, we all get first dibs. This isn't the kind where you have to slather it on. Just a little dab will do. Tastes and smells great plus it has such a beautiful color to it.

Szld4dH.jpg

WmcCpSi.jpg

• Like 2

Here, it feels like you can't walk down the street without passing a brewery. Also, rhubarb grows really well here. I'm what's known as the 'rhubarb triangle'. Everyone grows it in their garden, I can't give it away! 

TurtleEclipseOfTheHeartWeb_tiny.png

Edited by Gracii Guns
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 1:35 AM, lame ass security said:

I really like honey I just rarely eat it, weird. 

Yeah, I'm the same. I just don't know what to use it for or with. I do eat it at hotels for breakfast when they serve entire slates of honeycomb and you can just cut out a piece, then suck it and spit out the wax afterwards. It's an indulgence. That's how I suppose stone age people ate honey when they were lucky enough to find a bee nest too - just ate it as is and enjoyed themselves.

• Like 2

honey with butter on toast is delicious. Lately I've discovered that the difference between cheap, pricey, and the most expensive brands I've tried is significant in quality but the best ones are too expensive for me personally to regularly buy. Still worth it sometimes if you like it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

honey with butter on toast is delicious. Lately I've discovered that the difference between cheap, pricey, and the most expensive brands I've tried is significant in quality but the best ones are too expensive for me personally to regularly buy. Still worth it sometimes if you like it.

This particular brand needs no butter at all. Just a light drizzle of this honey makes it sweet enough. Had some on some biscuits this morning. This isn't expensive at all. That one pint is just 10 dollars. She mostly makes spring honey (which is light colored) and sometimes pulls fall honey (which is dark colored) .

I live a few miles from an Amish community and they'll sell you the kind that still has the honeycomb in it. I'm not particularly fond of it myself and it's much more than what this woman sells, cost wise. These Amish sell all kinds of shit from handmade quilts, these kick ass cinnamon rolls, some great smelling goat soap, and actual raw milk. That's just off the top of my head. Plus, if you know the right people, moonshine. From clear corn to flavored. And that stuff will put the boogie woogie on your brain LOL.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

I live a few miles from an Amish community and they'll sell you the kind that still has the honeycomb in it. I'm not particularly fond of it myself and it's much more than what this woman sells, cost wise. These Amish sell all kinds of shit from handmade quilts, these kick ass cinnamon rolls, some great smelling goat soap, and actual raw milk. That's just off the top of my head. Plus, if you know the right people, moonshine. From clear corn to flavored. And that stuff will put the boogie woogie on your brain LOL.

Do you pay your Amish neighbours with cash or do you offer to trade? I could be confused, but aren't they the group who don't use money? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

Do you pay your Amish neighbours with cash or do you offer to trade? I could be confused, but aren't they the group who don't use money? 

You intrigued me with this, so I went and watched a half hour vlog on their community in Ohio 😂😂😂 Insightful, it appears at least the Amish community there does indeed use money and they are thriving with the businesses they run, particularly the farmers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Depends on what sect. These around here are Mennonites so they're a liberal offshoot. They make money hand over fist. If they need to go somewhere (like a gas station) they'll pay whoever it is to drive them to it. They'll buy tractors but they'll take the tires off and put something like steel wheels on it. Kinda weird LOL

• Thanks 1