There was a time Hammerstein

I was at the first Hammerstein Ballroom show. It was the first time I went to a concert solo. I met people from the Here Today Gone To Hell message board. It was a fun night. Unfortunately, it showed me that I cannot be at a venue that is standing only. 

• Like 1

I’ve got all 4 of those shows on dvd(and went to 3/4 shows)and they were some of the most electric performances from any bands shows that I’ve ever been to.(around 300 concerts) All the CD songs were insanely good. All the special guests were having fun.(Bach, Kid Rock, Izzy)Finck fucking OWNING the stage. Tommy having a GREAT time. Axl super interactive and seemed HAPPY. 

And now we’ve got the AARP lineup and tour

• Like 2

In a perfect world, CD would have been out before 2004 with Buckethead, Robin, and Brain still in the band with a number of tours behind CD and eventually CD2 and CD3 coming out before 2012.

I'd rather have the above than what we have gotten post 2014 by this band. (Partial reunion with no new music)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 6/24/2021 at 7:57 PM, RussTCB said:

I was there. What a show to be at. Seeing the first live performances of Better, IRS and There Was A Time was stunning. 

I'm a big Robin fan and he was absolutely on fire the whole show. 

I went to one of the Hammerstein shows as well. And Robin was playing out of his mind and had moved from looking like an alien (see 2001 and 2002) to looking like a weird bearded wizard with a smock. (See all of 2006 and 2007) 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2006 was a very particular year for GNR. Axl came back, sounded great, we got to know more CD songs, he made public appearances (F1, MTV awards, photo sessions, etc), they put out a respectable tour, they played in festivals, etc. This should have been the year to release and support CD, not 2008 and touring 1 year later.

When I first saw TWAT was in youtube (pre google) and I was thinking "Holy s&%t, he's kicking ass!". 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, lost un the jungle said:

2006 was a very particular year for GNR. Axl came back, sounded great, we got to know more CD songs, he made public appearances (F1, MTV awards, photo sessions, etc), they put out a respectable tour, they played in festivals, etc. This should have been the year to release and support CD, not 2008 and touring 1 year later.

When I first saw TWAT was in youtube (pre google) and I was thinking "Holy s&%t, he's kicking ass!". 

2011 was my Axl Rose's 2006. :P

For all the reasons you listed, I believe 2006 was intended to be the year of the album, Axl himself said that in an interview that year. Who knows what happened. I'm certain things would have gone much better in every way for the music and the band if that was the case.

I would have expected CD2 by 2010 if the above was a reality.

Oh well.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Agree with OP. I was at the first night and last night. I vividly remember being up against the rail when Axl screamed “You’re Gonna Dieeeee!” at the start of Jungle and the place became unglued that I literally thought I was going to die. 

I was there the last night too! In the front , against the rail too. Waiting in line all day! I’m sure we crossed paths .