There was a time Hammerstein

I was there, my first GNR show, and I really wish Better, IRS and TWAT hadn't leaked a few months before. It would have been amazing to hear GNR songs for the first time live. When they played the new Chinese Democracy intro, I was super stoked thinking it was a brand new song I had never heard before, and was a little disappointed it was one I was already familiar with. But I guess it was my choice to hear them beforehand. Downloading motherfuckers.

14 hours ago, itsprettytiedup said:

Can you share the story?

My memory is 100% with it, but basically when Ron joined he wasn’t welcomed with open arms by some of the band. He had to learn some songs in difficult ways, like learning this TWAT solo that day (or week) with his laptop, something like that. Basically he just learned the solo and performed it flawlessly with barely any practice with it 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I saw them in East Rutherford NJ in 06, it was my first time seeing them.

My first time seeing them was supposed to be Philadelphia in 02 but we all know what happened there.  

Guns didn't come on in 06 til almost midnight and there was word going around the arena there was technical issues with the keys and Axl wasn't going to show.  The time between papa roach and GnR definitely felt very long but Axl finally did show up.  After a few songs in he said "you can't blame the delay on my sorry ass this time" or something like that.  I also remember him saying the band would leave if people kept throwing things on stage, so i feel I was pretty lucky to see them that night.  ESPECIALLY since Guns ended up cancelling the next show lol.  Seeing GnR back then was literally dodging bullets.

But Axl was fantastic. Sounded great, was dancing, in a really good mood.  Robin was electric to see too.  Seeing GnR for the first time ever, with them opening up with WTTJ was just amazkng.  But who knew that 10 years later I would be a little further down the highway in a football stadium seeing the same band but with Slash up on stage lol 🤯

I remember the show ended after 2 am and we didn't get home til after 4 am lol.  Still have the shirt and poster I got from the show 

The perils of being a GnR fan.  But I feel very blessed to have seen them in 06.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2006 was the last year CD could have come out and been a commercial and critical success. When it came out in 2008 it was damaged by having no your and no promo. We'll never what happened that year. 

2006 had Axl making appearances and looking great, if it wasn't for a combo of Merck and Axls reluctance to say enough is enough with the tracks and insist on adding Ron and Frank to the album which yet again slowed everything down, putting the us tour over the album, not having Better put out as a single around September 2006 etc. So many factors they fucked up I think. There was no real reason CD could not have come out that year. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Bet ya that was a hoot! 😁 Did Jarmo pre-approve the conversation topics beforehand, aye??! 🤣🤣

I spoke with Jarmo a couple of times via email. He was on my Myspace as a friend.  Back then, I thought he was too uptight at times. We did clash at times. There were several times where he deleted my posts on Slash and if I didn't like certain performances. Everything had to always be positive.  I think as he aged and Slash is now in the band again, Jarmo has gotten much better.  His website and some guy named Jeff were the first two GNR message boards that I started to look at since 1996. I think that Jarmo sometimes gets a bad rap with the Internet crowd, partially due to his relationship with GNR.  That's my opinion.  With that being said, I give him a lot of credit for developing his website and GNR. That's not an easy thing to do. It takes hard work and dedication. 

Edited by Draguns
added more text
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I saw them in East Rutherford NJ in 06, it was my first time seeing them.

My first time seeing them was supposed to be Philadelphia in 02 but we all know what happened there.  

Guns didn't come on in 06 til almost midnight and there was word going around the arena there was technical issues with the keys and Axl wasn't going to show.  The time between papa roach and GnR definitely felt very long but Axl finally did show up.  After a few songs in he said "you can't blame the delay on my sorry ass this time" or something like that.  I also remember him saying the band would leave if people kept throwing things on stage, so i feel I was pretty lucky to see them that night.  ESPECIALLY since Guns ended up cancelling the next show lol.  Seeing GnR back then was literally dodging bullets.

But Axl was fantastic. Sounded great, was dancing, in a really good mood.  Robin was electric to see too.  Seeing GnR for the first time ever, with them opening up with WTTJ was just amazkng.  But who knew that 10 years later I would be a little further down the highway in a football stadium seeing the same band but with Slash up on stage lol 🤯

I remember the show ended after 2 am and we didn't get home til after 4 am lol.  Still have the shirt and poster I got from the show 

The perils of being a GnR fan.  But I feel very blessed to have seen them in 06.

When I read through your post, I was trying to think why I wasn't at this concert. Any GNR show in the NYC area, especially NJ since I'm 15 minutes away from the Meadowlands, I would have gone to.  I saw it was on a Sunday night and that's probably why.  At the time, I was limited with vacation days from work. 

Anyway sounds like it was a good show. 

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, Draguns said:

When I read through your post, I was trying to think why I wasn't at this concert. Any GNR show in the NYC area, especially NJ since I'm 15 minutes away from the Meadowlands, I would have gone to.  I saw it was on a Sunday night and that's probably why.  At the time, I was limited with vacation days from work. 

Anyway sounds like it was a good show. 

It really was!  Something I'll never forget!

On 6/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, Dangom1 said:

I won't post the link for obvious reasons 

But is this not one of axls finest displays,the vocal delivery is spot on. I really wish I was old enough to have seen the 06 line up. There was something quite magical about Jesus Finck and Axl at that time

Yeah I still play that version often just to hear the scream Axl does at the end, one of my all time favorite recorded Axl moments we have on tape to this day

8 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

wich date was this? 

I am not sure of the date itself, the version in particular was one I first saw via Youtube years ago, with both audio and video.  The audio is not the greatest and clearest but it was a great version

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

wich date was this? 

Just now, WhazUp said:

I am not sure of the date itself, the version in particular was one I first saw via Youtube years ago, with both audio and video.  The audio is not the greatest and clearest but it was a great version

Didn't read back, but if you're talking about the first Hammerstein show, it was May 12th, 2006. 

I was there and it was an absolutely amazing show. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Didn't read back, but if you're talking about the first Hammerstein show, it was May 12th, 2006. 

I was there and it was an absolutely amazing show. 

Not jealous at all that you witnesses that show live :P

I started following GNR in a bigger way around 2006ish and so for younger me just coming into the GNR fandom, I think that I probably didn't have as big a perspective regarding the hype for Axl's re-appearance after 4 years of silence following the end of what they did in 2002

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1