Will they go heavy on the Illusions this summer tour?

As everyone here knows, the Illusions are turning 30 this year.  Will the band go heavy on the Illusion songs for this tour?  Or will they play some songs that aren't usually played?  What unlikely song would you want to hear?  

--I'm going with Dust N Bones because that means Izzy is back!----

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot they could do setlist wise to really fire me up. Of all the complaints (and most I am on board with), the setlist usually isn't one of them I agree with. I feel like they have a ton of variety in the setlist with all the big hits, deep cuts, and then some regular live songs. My biggest complaint is when they do too many covers (I hope Black Hole Sun is never played again).

Since NITL started there's been a healthy amount of UYI- Civil War, Estranged, LaLD, KoHD, November Rain, Coma, DTJ, Don't Cry, and Coma are all consistent in the set and they have even brought out Yesterdays, Locomotive, So Fine, and Dead Horse at some shows (some of which Axl can't sing well, anyways). There's been good representation from the records. I guess hearing some other tunes would be cool, but it would not be monumental imo. It isn't like they are the Stones where they have tons of records to pull from. Even if you count Chinese that is only 4 full studio albums

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, You Ain't The First, So Fine (w/ Axl), Don't Cry (alt lyrics), The Garden, Down On The Farm and Black Leather would probably all sound good.

Izzy ain't coming back though :shrugs:

I knew it about Izzy, just wishing thinnk.

1 minute ago, slash23579 said:

Bad Obsession is one of those songs that would be great with Axls current voice since there’s no rasp. Hoping they bust it out because it’s just a solid tune in general as well

Agree.

I would say at most they play add three UYI songs as options and cycle through them at various shows.  So you might get one, maybe two, new UYI songs per show.  

Personally I'd love to see them replace KOHD and LALD with songs like Yesterdays, You Ain't The First, Bad Obsession, Breakdown, The Garden, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse.  But I've also resigned myself to the fact that this dream will remain just a dream of mine.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

I would say at most they play add three UYI songs as options and cycle through them at various shows.  So you might get one, maybe two, new UYI songs per show.  

Personally I'd love to see them replace KOHD and LALD with songs like Yesterdays, You Ain't The First, Bad Obsession, Breakdown, The Garden, Don't Damn Me, Dead Horse.  But I've also resigned myself to the fact that this dream will remain just a dream of mine.  

Especially LALD. At least KOHD has the audience participation.

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot they could do setlist wise to really fire me up. Of all the complaints (and most I am on board with), the setlist usually isn't one of them I agree with. I feel like they have a ton of variety in the setlist with all the big hits, deep cuts, and then some regular live songs. My biggest complaint is when they do too many covers (I hope Black Hole Sun is never played again).

Since NITL started there's been a healthy amount of UYI- Civil War, Estranged, LaLD, KoHD, November Rain, Coma, DTJ, Don't Cry, and Coma are all consistent in the set and they have even brought out Yesterdays, Locomotive, So Fine, and Dead Horse at some shows (some of which Axl can't sing well, anyways). There's been good representation from the records. I guess hearing some other tunes would be cool, but it would not be monumental imo. It isn't like they are the Stones where they have tons of records to pull from. Even if you count Chinese that is only 4 full studio albums

I couldn't agree more. Considering their track record and the length of their shows they're doing pretty well I think. They could vary the order of the songs a bit more like back in their prime and yeah... play less cover songs, but all in all I don't get the point about the setlist complains. 

I'd like to hear Don't Damn Me and Ain't It Fun though.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

I will also say that I have gotten different songs at every GNR show I have attended save for the two stadium 2016 gigs I saw (and they were like a week or two apart only). Not counting unrecorded covers-

2010- First gig

2011- Estranged, Don't Cry

2012- Civil War, You're Crazy, Used to Love Her

2016.1- Double Talkin' Jive, Coma, New Rose

2016.2- Out Ta Get Me, Raw Power

2016.3- None

2017- My Michelle, Yesterdays, Prostitute

That isn't terrible, if I get a few new (to me) songs like Shadow of Your Love and one other UYI cut I'd consider that a win. I'd be stoked with TWAT or Catcher, too. They could definitely get better with setlists, but they are still pretty good imo. They should drastically cut the covers, though. I'd love for more UYI deep cuts to get played. Getting Locomotive and Dead Horse in regular rotation would be great, and other tunes like Right Next Door to Hell/Pretty Tied Up/etc. would awesome but I also doubt they would sound good with how Axl is, anyways.

Edited by ZoSoRose

4 hours ago, Original said:

I'd love "heavy on the Illusions".  For "unlikely" I would love to hear (one/some of these) in order of preference:  Pretty Tied Up, The Garden, Dead Horse, Don't Damn Me and Back Off Bitch.   

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession, You Ain't The First, So Fine (w/ Axl), Don't Cry (alt lyrics), The Garden, Down On The Farm and Black Leather would probably all sound good.

Izzy ain't coming back though :shrugs:

Those are good choices. Would love to hear BOB, DDM, The Garden, and Dust N Bones with Duff (like he's done in solo shows) for sure. Don't think Izzy will ever come back though otherwise they could do 14 Years.

PTU was soundchecked at Mexico 2020, so we will probably still get that one, at the very least. And they’ll probably continue with the hits and DTJ, Dead Horse and So Fine, and maybe bring back Coma and/or Locomotive on occasion… Maybe YATF and BO too… Maaaaybe also the alternate Don’t Cry, once or twice…

Beyond that, tho? I wouldn’t hold my breath…

27 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Those are good choices. Would love to hear BOB, DDM, The Garden, and Dust N Bones with Duff (like he's done in solo shows) for sure. Don't think Izzy will ever come back though otherwise they could do 14 Years.

I saw Duff play Dust N' Bones when he opened for Axl in 2011, it was really cool, and Axl and Slash could at least do backing vocals. I don't think they (especially Axl) would sound good on Back Off Bitch or Don't Damn Me, though. I'd rather hear Ain't Goin' Down or maybe another TSI song, even though Don't Damn Me is one of their best songs, I think it'd be kinda underwhelming like Locomotive was...

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

34 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I saw Duff play Dust N' Bones when he opened for Axl in 2011, it was really cool, and Axl and Slash could at least do backing vocals. I don't think they (especially Axl) would sound good on Back Off Bitch or Don't Damn Me, though. I'd rather hear Ain't Goin' Down or maybe another TSI song, even though Don't Damn Me is one of their best songs, I think it'd be kinda underwhelming like Locomotive was...

I absolutely think 14 Years with Duff on vocals would work. DDM would be a killer to sing at the best of times - but I’d still love to hear it at least once on the tour.

They could easily do a great set that's mostly UYI and TSI songs, and if it's a UYI anniversary tour then they should definitely replace Wichita Lineman, Black Hole Sun, etc. with TSI songs. Alternate a few songs every night and play some new stuff, like they did on the UYI tour. If they did something like this I'd actually want to go see them again...

Pretty Tied Up
It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Welcome To The Jungle
Attitude/New Rose
Hardschool
Bad Obsession
Dust N' Bones/Raw Power (w/ Axl)
So Fine (w/ Axl)
Live And Let Die
Double Talkin' Jive
Sweet Child O' Mine
You Ain't The First
Patience
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
You Could Be Mine/Civil War
Down On The Farm/Black Leather
Chinese Democracy/Slither
November Rain
The Garden/Dead Horse
Perhaps
Nightrain

Don't Cry (alt lyrics)
Estranged
Paradise City

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I want to hear Slash do his vocal bit on DnB before the solo. I thought Locomotive was pretty good; they didn't go too fast and the band sounded good on it. I don't care that much about if Axl can keep up and sound good on BoB or DDM because he doesn't on a lot of the other songs; I just want to see Slash and Duff play them again.

Oh yeah forgot about Ain't Goin' Down; would love to hear that one too.

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They could easily do a great set that's mostly UYI and TSI songs, and if it's a UYI anniversary tour then they should definitely replace Wichita Lineman, Black Hole Sun, etc. with TSI songs. Alternate a few songs every night and play some new stuff, like they did on the UYI tour. If they did something like this I'd actually want to go see them again...

Pretty Tied Up
It's So Easy
Mr Brownstone
Welcome To The Jungle
Attitude/New Rose
Hardschool
Bad Obsession
Dust N' Bones/Raw Power (w/ Axl)
So Fine (w/ Axl)
Live And Let Die
Double Talkin' Jive
Sweet Child O' Mine