Chinese Democracy - Regretting the past (Video)

It is what it is with these videos. Personally, I try to keep my music channel (both on YouTube and the podcast) positive, but people get more clicks with negative / "hot takes". Not everyone is going to like everyone else's personality either. 

I'm not gonna watch the video but mostly because I've already discussed Chinese Democracy to death both here and in real life. I've probably heard all this guy and anyone else has to say about it lol. I do have a Chinese Democracy video lined up for my channel but it's just a comparison video for the US vs Euro vinyl. It's not a breakdown/judgement of the album or anything. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

It is what it is with these videos. Personally, I try to keep my music channel (both on YouTube and the podcast) positive, but people get more clicks with negative / "hot takes". Not everyone is going to like everyone else's personality either. 

I'm not gonna watch the video but mostly because I've already discussed Chinese Democracy to death both here and in real life. I've probably heard all this guy and anyone else has to say about it lol. I do have a Chinese Democracy video lined up for my channel but it's just a comparison video for the US vs Euro vinyl. It's not a breakdown/judgement of the album or anything. 

Does Chinese Democracy, on proper audio equipment, sound good? People bitch about the mixing, bass being too low, etc. and I'm wondering if it's an equipment issue. I prefer the rough Village mixes in most cases, but maybe it's my equipment. 

30 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Does Chinese Democracy, on proper audio equipment, sound good? People bitch about the mixing, bass being too low, etc. and I'm wondering if it's an equipment issue. I prefer the rough Village mixes in most cases, but maybe it's my equipment. 

The European pressing sounds amazing on my system. The US pressing is awful, so I'm glad I finally got the euro one. 

23 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I only listen to Christopher Pitman's isolated sub-bass tracks, panned across a series of speakers made from turtle shells, with a highly noticeable 1db volume difference in each. Sometimes me and friends mix in the drums too but in all honesty the EQ on the ghost notes really grinds my gears so I tend to pass on that. 

Back to the video... I remember seeing a few of this dude's videos and I didn't think much at all. Accordingly, I have opted not to watch his CD review. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

The European pressing sounds amazing on my system. The US pressing is awful, so I'm glad I finally got the euro one. 

Want a copy of my sub-bass only quad mix!? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The US pressing I have sounds awful too.

If you ever do a listening party or whatever, I'd be interested! I'm about 2 hours east of you or so.

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

The US pressing I have sounds awful too.

If you ever do a listening party or whatever, I'd be interested! I'm about 2 hours east of you or so.

We spin records every Friday and you're welcome to join any time. We can bust our the Euro CD pressing any time you wanna head over. 

We've got a small group of local people who come by every week but friends also come down from Rochester, over from Warren, or over from Battle Creek and even Grand Rapids from time to time. Fun stuff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Your videos are genuine and informative.

It's a different case than some random youtuber reviewing CD then heads to McDonald's to prank the cashier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

We spin records every Friday and you're welcome to join any time. We can bust our the Euro CD pressing any time you wanna head over. 

We've got a small group of local people who come by every week but friends also come down from Rochester, over from Warren, or over from Battle Creek and even Grand Rapids from time to time. Fun stuff. 

Sounds great! Maybe on a Friday off I'll drop you a PM for more info. I'd bring a case of good beer! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

On my decent headphones and audio interface hooked up to my laptop I gave the album a listen recently for the first time in ages and honestly it is a very dynamic and decent sounding record - though I do agree that the bass could have been given a bit more oomph.  My issue with the album is more with the overall arrangements and (IMO of course) unneccesary layering as opposed to the quality of the presentation of what we got if that makes sense lol

• Like 1

I've seen that vid before and - spoiler alert - the presenter doesn't think that CD is 'bad' per se (unlike the other albums he has covered on this 'regretting the past' series).

He mainly found the whole thing pretty 'meh' and expected much more from it given the time and money that was spent on it. 

I disagree with that overall assessment, but I know plenty of people who would agree.

• Like 1