Am I the only one fed up with hearing about Slash and Duff's extracurricular musical activities...

1 hour ago, Padme said:

True, and I didn't want GN'R to be like them

I get your point. In the merch department and also the show itself, Gn'R has become more commercial and more nostalgia centered. it doesn't bother me cause Gn'R was always a commercial rock band and they're older now so it's just what happens sometimes in this business. I don't have to buy their shit products and not all the merch is silly, not every part of the show is dull imo so there are still lots of positive qualities to Gn'R that make them different compared to other bands in the genre but you can only do so much without releasing new music.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am in such a weird place with this band. I always followed what Slash and Duff were doing from the time they left the band up until the reunion.  I ate up anything any of the original members did during theor solo endevours.  There was nothing I ever wanted more in rock than a Guns N' Roses reunion.  It finally happened (sort of) and it just made me kind of lose my admiration for all of them. I could care less about anything Slash or Duff does outside the band these days. They kart around this half assed lineup that sounds like a Keroke band half the time. Signs point to them dicking over Izzy and Steven... 5 1/2 years and they haven't released one song.. Not that I really care about music from this lineup and Axls terrible vocals anyway.. They haven't even released a fucking DVD.  The whole thing was 10 years too late and Slash and Duff tossed everything they ever stood for out the window.. They just put their tale between their legs and do whatever appeases Axl.. It came out that they had a hard time playing with Frank but do it anyway.. They don't even care about the quality of their performances as long as they get that big fat check..  

I liked Axl, Slash and Duff a lot more before the reunion. They all sold their soul in a way. At least that's how it feels, looks and sounds like to me.

• Like 1

I'm the opposite. I'd rather Slash and Duff just leave GNR and either make a new band/reform VR or go do their own solo projects like they were doing. Everyone has had a chance to see this half reunion, and I feel like it's run its course. It would be different if they were committed to new music, but that's never going to happen. Would much rather Slash focus on his own band, which honestly, I felt put on better shows anyway. That won't happen, of course, as Slash/Duff are making waaaay too much money touring in GNR. I don't blame them for that. We would all do the same.

• GNFNR 1

And I would have preferred they didn't rejoin the band at all, because that really reduced the likelihood of CD2 coming out (not that it was looking very likely back in 2014/2015, either. I am not a particularly nostalgic person and it would always be a shadow of the band I fell in love with back in the late 80s. But I can fault them for wanting to earn a bit of money and please all the fans who really wanted to see Slash and Axl back on stage together. But it's done now, you've had your fun, can we move on?

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And I would have preferred they didn't rejoin the band at all, because that really reduced the likelihood of CD2 coming out (not that it was looking very likely back in 2014/2015, either. I am not a particularly nostalgic person and it would always be a shadow of the band I fell in love with back in the late 80s. But I can fault them for wanting to earn a bit of money and please all the fans who really wanted to see Slash and Axl back on stage together. But it's done now, you've had your fun, can we move on?

There's nothing to move on to. These are the last years of gnr we are getting. And I'd rather enjoy them with Duff and slash onboard and being reminded of what they once were and having them close the chapter together than going through the Axl solo shit all over again, which wasn't going anywhere either.

Edited by StayofExecution2020
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

There's nothing to move on to. These are the last years of gnr we are getting. And I'd rather enjoy them with Duff and slash onboard and being reminded of what they once we're and closing the chapter together than going through the Axl solo shit all over again, which wasn't going anywhere either.

It wasn't going anywhere, true, but getting Slash and Duff back in certainly didn't help simplify things. Allegedly the record was done and ready to be released and I am sure it would have happened. Now it needs the addition of Slash and Duff. That can't make the release easier. That being said, it looks like the album will come out. Maybe next year. Who knows. But I'd rather have it in 2016 without Slash and Duff than in 2022 with them tacked on as yet another layer.

Just now, pugachev said:

I'm the opposite. I'd rather Slash and Duff just leave GNR and either make a new band/reform VR or go do their own solo projects like they were doing. Everyone has had a chance to see this half reunion, and I feel like it's run its course. It would be different if they were committed to new music, but that's never going to happen. Would much rather Slash focus on his own band, which honestly, I felt put on better shows anyway. That won't happen, of course, as Slash/Duff are making waaaay too much money touring in GNR. I don't blame them for that. We would all do the same.

Yeah that's how I feel now. It's done. 

If there isn't new music, continuing on diminishing returns just seems a waste of time all round. I had a total blast seeing NIT, absolutely loved it. The time to move on is more than overdue. In my view things should have ended with that LA Forum show in 2017 that was broadcast on Sirius. It felt like the end, and a fitting one at that. At the time I was fairly convinced it would be. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I would think like this, but I loved seeing NITL. It was great fun. 

If you asked me an either/or though - CD2 or the chance to see NITL I'm not honestly sure which I'd go for. It depends what mood I'm in I guess. It would be a tough decision for sure. 

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

If you asked me an either/or though - CD2 or the chance to see NITL I'm not honestly sure which I'd go for. It depends what mood I'm in I guess. It would be a tough decision for sure. 

New music everytime. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh, that's a simply question for me: CD2 any day, any time. I get to hear an album an infinite amount of times, being at a concert is usually a very limited thing. Why would I bereave myself of the possibility of hearing an album for years and years and years just for a single live show? It's like comparing a happy marriage to a single one-night stand.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It wasn't going anywhere, true, but getting Slash and Duff back in certainly didn't help simplify things. Allegedly the record was done and ready to be released and I am sure it would have happened. Now it needs the addition of Slash and Duff. That can't make the release easier. That being said, it looks like the album will come out. Maybe next year. Who knows. But I'd rather have it in 2016 without Slash and Duff than in 2022 with them tacked on as yet another layer.

If that record was done and ready by then, it would have been released already and the reunion lineup could have focused on something new.

I'm convinced CD2 wouldn't have been released by now even without the reunion. I thought a reunion is even a chance for new music because the proper people joined but unfortunately I was proven wrong. 

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter who's in and who's out as long as Axl is in this band. He is responsible for the lack of music and nobody else. He and his worshippers (I don't mean you!) will always find an excuse and point their fingers on others but time has proven that it's not the reunion nor the solo projects, the record company or anybody else who stops Axl from releasing music. It's just himself, as sad as it is, but its the truth and most likely there's nothing that can change it. I hope I'm getting proven wrong once again.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Since CD was such a let down for me that's an easy one.

The three shows I saw in 2017 were an experience that I don’t wanna miss! Hell, I even had a lot of fun in 2018.

If I had to choose now between a new record without any shows ever again, or just the same old gig, I would go with the record.

Edited by Free Bird

Oh, that's a simply question for me: CD2 any day, any time. I get to hear an album an infinite amount of times, being at a concert is usually a very limited thing. Why would I bereave myself of the possibility of hearing an album for years and years and years just for a single live show? It's like comparing a happy marriage to a single one-night stand.

Fair point, yeah. I'd lean towards CD2 too, if the choice had to be made I think. 

When I think back to it, a lot of the excitement for me around NITL was thinking that a corner had been turned and things were changing in terms of new music. If I had the knowledge that so many years later they'd still be touring the same set and nothing had happened, maybe I'd have felt differently? I don't know.  

Edited by allwaystired

11 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Am I the only one fed up with hearing about Slash and Duff's extracurricular musical activities while nothing seems to be coming from the GnR camp?

A lot of musicians do other stuff. It's not just GNR members.  I think after last year a lot of people as well as musicians found other things to do to keep busy.

I don't see what's wrong with wanting to keep busy and music is what they do best. Besides writing books.

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I am in such a weird place with this band. I always followed what Slash and Duff were doing from the time they left the band up until the reunion.  I ate up anything any of the original members did during theor solo endevours.  There was nothing I ever wanted more in rock than a Guns N' Roses reunion.  It finally happened (sort of) and it just made me kind of lose my admiration for all of them. I could care less about anything Slash or Duff does outside the band these days. They kart around this half assed lineup that sounds like a Keroke band half the time. Signs point to them dicking over Izzy and Steven... 5 1/2 years and they haven't released one song.. Not that I really care about music from this lineup and Axls terrible vocals anyway.. They haven't even released a fucking DVD.  The whole thing was 10 years too late and Slash and Duff tossed everything they ever stood for out the window.. They just put their tale between their legs and do whatever appeases Axl.. It came out that they had a hard time playing with Frank but do it anyway.. They don't even care about the quality of their performances as long as they get that big fat check..  

Thank you!!! That's exactly how I feel. I also used to follow to some degree Slash and Duff solo endevours. I was also very happy with the reunion in the begining. Always wishing to see Izzy and/or Adler at some point. I was lucky to see Adler at the L.A. shows. But I don't think Adler would join them again. Nor I think Izzy will. 

I have very low expectations at this point about the tour or a possible new album. As I said before I think it was a miracle that they bother to play Locomotive, Slither and Dead Horse

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

This.

Every word.

I think less of every single one of them since the reunion.

56 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

If that record was done and ready by then, it would have been released already and the reunion lineup could have focused on something new.

I'm convinced CD2 wouldn't have been released by now even without the reunion. I thought a reunion is even a chance for new music because the proper people joined but unfortunately I was proven wrong. 

Let's be honest, it doesn't matter who's in and who's out as long as Axl is in this band. He is responsible for the lack of music and nobody else. He and his worshippers (I don't mean you!) will always find an excuse and point their fingers on others but time has proven that it's not the reunion nor the solo projects, the record company or anybody else who stops Axl from releasing music. It's just himself, as sad as it is, but its the truth and most likely there's nothing that can change it. I hope I'm getting proven wrong once again.

You won't be.

45 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Fair point, yeah. I'd lean towards CD2 too, if the choice had to be made I think. 

When I think back to it, a lot of the excitement for me around NITL was thinking that a corner had been turned and things were changing in terms of new music. If I had the knowledge that so many years later they'd still be touring the same set and nothing had happened, maybe I'd have felt differently? I don't know.  

I was the complete opposite. With Slash and Duff coming in, I was certain this meant the end of the possibility of a new record. I assumed it Axl had succumbed to the lure of a huge windfall and that the "reunion" meant nothing but a quick cash-grab, nostalgia tour and then Axl would announce the end of the band. To me it certainly wasn't a corner being turned, it was defeat. I never thought they'd tour for this long and especially not that Slash and Duff would even consider recording with Axl again after all they'd been through before. So in that sense I am pleasantly surprised by it all. The touring has been better than I feared and it looks like a new record will be coming after all. Of course I would have preferred it never happened and Axl found a way (or motivation) to release CD2 years ago, but it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

If that record was done and ready by then, it would have been released already

Why are you convinced of this? Is it inconceivable to you that Axl, because of anything from entirely rational reasons (issues with the label, issues with former members, issues with financing) to bizarre reasons (not "feeling" it, to spite someone, because the music scene wasn't complimentary), could be unable/unwilling to release a record in year A but be completely ready to do it in year B? That's exactly what I would expect from him. If anything, considering the saga of Chinese Democracy, we know that Axl works in mysterious ways.

• Like 1

I was the complete opposite. With Slash and Duff coming in, I was certain this meant the end of the possibility of a new record. I assumed it Axl had succumbed to the lure of a huge windfall and that the "reunion" meant nothing but a quick cash-grab, nostalgia tour and then Axl would announce the end of the band. To me it certainly wasn't a corner being turned, it was defeat. I never thought they'd tour for this long and especially not that Slash and Duff would even consider recording with Axl again after all they'd been through before. So in that sense I am pleasantly surprised by it all. The touring has been better than I feared and it looks like a new record will be coming after all. Of course I would have preferred it never happened and Axl found a way (or motivation) to release CD2 years ago, but it is what it is. 

Ah, you're still in the 'new record is coming' camp! I moved out of there about a year ago! 

12 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Ah, you're still in the 'new record is coming' camp! I moved out of there about a year ago! 

I packed my bags and moved out of that city on 12/31/2016. 

I'd lived there since 1987 and had some great times. Liked my neighbors a lot and had a lot of friends there. 

• Haha 1