Red Hand Chinese Democracy

14 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Just came in the mail today .. Super excited to own this rare copy of my favorite album .. Does anybody on here have one of these? I'm tempted to open it (it's sealed) but also think it better to leave it be. 604-A82-DA-1-B27-4-CEC-B98-D-890-B39-CB5

Looks great man, I always loved this version of the cover, so damn cool. Thanks for showing! 

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Congrats man! I uploaded this in the Vinyl thread the other day, while not strictly related and all that! I kept mine sealed. There is scans out there of the booklet, so that fills the void and prevents me opening it. Do what you want though, it's yours and for you to enjoy however you wish!! Definitely one of the coolest pieces I own, which wouldn't have been possible without @GNRfanMILO

35799F5F-CF31-4D46-A92E-6491953D0436.jpeg.7f9e27fa08b2c46e93d4fbdd6c63ecc2.jpeg

Holy cow I fucking love this wall O_O

• GNFNR 2

2 minutes ago, Nesret said:

Holy cow I fucking love this wall O_O

Ha, thanks man. They're in a room where I have my Piano and Guitars, so it's certainly good to look at for motivation/creativity!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I came close to buying one in 2016 from a forum member for only like $150. Kind of wish I did

I paid $500 

44 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

Where did you buyed it?

Somebody had it listed on Ebay

• GNFNR 1
  • Wow 1

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Congrats!

Fun Fact: there are a lot more of these out there, but they haven't surfaced yet. 

A friend of mine worked for Universal and had a full box of them, which is how I got mine. The box my friend had held like 40 copies in it. He had NO idea they were rare until I told him. 

According to him, "many other people" at Universal have the same boxes full of them. He said no one has any idea they're rare, so the boxes are probably just sitting in closets, in storage or were just thrown away. 

In any case, if you open it you'll CD that the actual CD looks different and the booklet is VERY different / better, including an essay from Axl. 

You can find very high quality scans online of all of that though, included the art on the disc. So personally, I'd tell you just to keep yours sealed. 

Side note, I have a YouTube video coming out tomorrow featuring the rare 7" single for the song Chinese Democracy :)

Yes I have an album on my phone of all of the HQ scans of the booklet. I'll probably just keep it sealed. And very cool I will definitely be on the lookout for that!

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

Congrats!

Fun Fact: there are a lot more of these out there, but they haven't surfaced yet. 

A friend of mine worked for Universal and had a full box of them, which is how I got mine. The box my friend had held like 40 copies in it. He had NO idea they were rare until I told him. 

According to him, "many other people" at Universal have the same boxes full of them. He said no one has any idea they're rare, so the boxes are probably just sitting in closets, in storage or were just thrown away. 

In any case, if you open it you'll CD that the actual CD looks different and the booklet is VERY different / better, including an essay from Axl. 

You can find very high quality scans online of all of that though, included the art on the disc. So personally, I'd tell you just to keep yours sealed. 

Side note, I have a YouTube video coming out tomorrow featuring the rare 7" single for the song Chinese Democracy :)

Interesting to know. I definitely want a 'red hand' CD, so maybe at some point a load will surface. 

You got all the info you need regarding the Chinese 7"? I have one if it's any help to you - only available in the UK if you pre-ordered CD from the HMV chain, as I recall. My CD still has the pre-order sticker on the front! 

29 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Interesting to know. I definitely want a 'red hand' CD, so maybe at some point a load will surface. 

You got all the info you need regarding the Chinese 7"? I have one if it's any help to you - only available in the UK if you pre-ordered CD from the HMV chain, as I recall. My CD still has the pre-order sticker on the front! 

I shot the video a few weeks back and I *think* I knew all I needed to know then. The Chinese 7" is one of 5 or records I featured in the video. It'll be out tomorrow and I'll make a thread for it at some point tomorrow morning :)

36 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I shot the video a few weeks back and I *think* I knew all I needed to know then. The Chinese 7" is one of 5 or records I featured in the video. It'll be out tomorrow and I'll make a thread for it at some point tomorrow morning :)

Great, Saves me having to dig it out, as I'm sure it's in the box it came in! 

For years it wasn't especially rare - copies were going for next to nothing. It's probably changed recently though, as vinyl copies of the album seem to have done. At one point the album on vinyl was virtually being given away too. 

• GNFNR 1

Posted (edited)

Very cool! I have one too. I framed mine, currently on my wall. I didn't open it. It has a barely noticeable hairline crack in the jewel case. 

I paid about $250 for mine. They seem to run between $350-$500 these days. They used to go for more.

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

What about the Grenade cover…..I wonder how many of them are out there?

Real ones, I believe one or two that were out there, if that. It never went into production like the red hands did (though on a limited scale, seemingly) Apparently someone made a bunch of fakes. 

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

What about the Grenade cover…..I wonder how many of them are out there?

Just the two acetates are known to be out there. Troccolli has one and kindly scanned the booklet for us to see!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Very cool! I have one too. I framed mine, currently on my wall. I didn't open it. It has a barely noticeable hairline crack in the jewel case. 

I paid about $250 for mine. They seem to run between $350-$500 these days. They used to go for more.

Real ones, I believe one or two that were out there, if that. It never went into production like the red hands did (though on a limited scale, seemingly) Apparently someone made a bunch of fakes. 

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Just the two acetates are known to be out there. Troccolli has one and kindly scanned the booklet for us to see!

Cheers guys. I’m just waiting for the vinyl reissue with variant covers to pick from…….👀

But seriously…..another clusterfuck allowing CD to go out of print. A reissue with a choice of the three covers……💰💰💰💰💰

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Cheers guys. I’m just waiting for the vinyl reissue with variant covers to pick from…….👀

But seriously…..another clusterfuck allowing CD to go out of print. A reissue with a choice of the three covers……💰💰💰💰💰

I didn't realize CD was out of print.

A re-issue with alt covers would be nice, and better mixes. 

10 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

A reissue with the three covers would be fucking sweet, don’t hold your breath considering the prices Live Era goes for though, as that should’ve been reissued years ago!