Red Hand Chinese Democracy

Bought mine for $500 about 6-7 yrs ago. Popped up on Ebay, and snatched it “Buy Now” the first 24 hrs. Haven’t opened it- but printed out the booklet, and essay from one of those sites that had ‘em to skim through. Pricy- but have never regretted having it in my collection…

• Wow 1

Years ago I remember a member here (or on the now dead CD forum) bought CD on eBay that used the guitar tabs cover instead of the actual album. It ended up being a red hand. They bought up the rest they had, which was half a dozen or so.

Edited by Sweersa

On 7/7/2021 at 5:14 PM, RussTCB said:

Congrats!

Fun Fact: there are a lot more of these out there, but they haven't surfaced yet. 

A friend of mine worked for Universal and had a full box of them, which is how I got mine. The box my friend had held like 40 copies in it. He had NO idea they were rare until I told him. 

According to him, "many other people" at Universal have the same boxes full of them. He said no one has any idea they're rare, so the boxes are probably just sitting in closets, in storage or were just thrown away. 

In any case, if you open it you'll CD that the actual CD looks different and the booklet is VERY different / better, including an essay from Axl. 

You can find very high quality scans online of all of that though, included the art on the disc. So personally, I'd tell you just to keep yours sealed. 

Side note, I have a YouTube video coming out tomorrow featuring the rare 7" single for the song Chinese Democracy :)

Axl essay....🤤 how am I only hearing of this now??? Must. Find. 🧟‍♂️

43 minutes ago, Amir said:

A shame this never got a vinyl release, would have been worth it for the larger artwork.

A simple reissue with a choice of 3 covers to be purchased from the website…..not a difficult decision really and yet……

54 minutes ago, Amir said:

A shame this never got a vinyl release, would have been worth it for the larger artwork.

That was the plan originally. I had all 3 covers pre ordered in vinyl at Best Buy. Then about a month before release, the pre-orders for Cover B and Cover C got canceled 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Trin9498 said:

Red hand was easily the best cover IMO. The bike and grenade suck. 

Agreed on the bike (awful) but the Grenade is my favourite….Grenade, Red Hand then miles behind is the Bike.

Just hope they reissue it with alternate covers.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, DTJ80 said:

Agreed on the bike (awful) but the Grenade is my favourite….Grenade, Red Hand then miles behind is the Bike.

Just hope they reissue it with alternate covers.

I like all. The bike is very plain, understated, but grim looking etc. Kinda works because the album is the exact opposite of understated, but it's also pretty grim in places.

The grenade is cool, but I don't think it represents the album.

The red hand is the best of the bunch. I just think it's a great visual, way more dynamic than the bike and looks way better on a t-shirt... where are the Chinese Democracy Red hand tshirts??? I need one😄

Edited by Tom2112

I don't know where else to post this... Unexpected free promotion :lol:

BEIJING, July 27 (Reuters) - China's yet-to-be-announced new ambassador to the United States Qin Gang headed to Washington on Tuesday, according to people familiar with the matter, amid worsening relations between the world's two largest economies. [...]

Qin has done two stints as foreign ministry spokesman between 2006 and 2014, and stood out among his peers for being one of the earliest Chinese diplomats to make sharp comments in defence of China.

In 2008, he fired back at Californian rockers Guns N' Roses, whose album title "Chinese Democracy" offended some Chinese, by saying "many people don’t like this kind of music” and that it is "too noisy and clamorous." [...]

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/new-chinese-ambassador-heads-washington-sources-say-2021-07-27/

• Haha 1