Jump to content

Team Brazil being fucking idiots (AFD Podcast)


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It's financed by a millionaire billionaire, who's living out his rockstar dream. We'd all do it😄

Fixed it for you :P

Oh, 1000%. - in a heartbeat I would be doing the same, if not even more decadent.

My only point with it is to say that this isn't quite an underground steadily climbing the ladder - they do have a financier who's wallet is clearly opening doors.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Fixed it for you :P

Oh, 1000%. - in a heartbeat I would be doing the same, if not even more decadent.

My only point with it is to say that this isn't quite an underground steadily climbing the ladder - they do have a financier who's wallet is clearly opening doors.

More decadent.

I'd have the motley crue dancers on poles, and that would just be backstage!😄 I have to contact him, I'll play for half what Doug is on! 

I'd say they are on a very secure salary, there is a reason that so many bigger name session players are in and out of that gig.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Fixed it for you :P

Oh, 1000%. - in a heartbeat I would be doing the same, if not even more decadent.

My only point with it is to say that this isn't quite an underground steadily climbing the ladder - they do have a financier who's wallet is clearly opening doors.

Why would does this mean that they have someone who finances them?

Couldn't it just be that they have connections from having played with a lot of people (either being in bands, or touring with big names, or doing session work for them etc.)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Why would does this mean that they have someone who finances them?

Couldn't it just be that they have connections from having played with a lot of people (either being in bands, or touring with big names, or doing session work for them etc.)?

Oh it's common knowledge that Lowry finances the band, it's not a bad thing. Most bands would chop their toes off and eat them to have that kind of cash. 

They fly in private jets and stay at nice hotels, there's no way a band at that level could afford that luxury. End of the day the music is what opens the doors, but the money also helps lure in bigger name musicians and producers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Why would does this mean that they have someone who finances them?

Couldn't it just be that they have connections from having played with a lot of people (either being in bands, or touring with big names, or doing session work for them etc.)?

Would be a little naive to think that a band with no history can recruit current/ex-members of GN'R, Thin Lizzy, Ozzy etc for their first album and tour, along with getting a Slash solo on their first single, don't you think?

Again, I'm not criticising David Lowy at all but it's just the reality.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Oh it's common knowledge that Lowry finances the band, it's not a bad thing. Most bands would chop their toes off and eat them to have that kind of cash. 

They fly in private jets and stay at nice hotels, there's no way a band at that level could afford that luxury. End of the day the music is what opens the doors, but the money also helps lure in bigger name musicians and producers.

50 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Would be a little naive to think that a band with no history can recruit current/ex-members of GN'R, Thin Lizzy, Ozzy etc for their first album and tour, along with getting a Slash solo on their first single, don't you think?

Again, I'm not criticising David Lowy at all but it's just the reality.

Oh, okay. I was really not familiar at all with the history of the Dead Daisies and how they started (and I had no idea who Lowry is), so I was wondering if it was just because Richard, Brian Tichy etc. have connections through the people they have played with.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Couple things I’m thinking of: Doing a call-in episode. Could be fun or a disaster, like GNR. Also inviting Rick Dunsford back on to talk with about what it feels like to be “banned” from a band you love. 

Tbh I made a choice not to have Rick on since his ban. I’m still friendly with him, but I was hoping that was one  of the choices I could make to get in the good graces of Fernando. It’s why I didn’t ask Fortus any GNR questions, why I seemed so nervous talking to DIzzy and Frank. Trying to play ball, hopefully prove myself. That’s what it’s all about, right? Proving yourself and hopefully earning an opportunity?  When I would hear their complaints, I did what I could to adhere to what they wanted. It’s why I didn’t say anything until now. 

Despite his ban, Rick has had plenty of positive experiences with Fernando.  I want to continue the narrative of a miscommunication rather than this turn into a bashing.  I don’t want them harassed or bad things said about Team Brazil.  Just to continue the conversation as to why. Why is it like this? 

 

Yeah that actually seems like a positive next step. Unfortunately TB are basically the person who sees the headline and comment without further reading. Hopefully you can turn it around!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Couple things I’m thinking of: Doing a call-in episode. Could be fun or a disaster, like GNR. Also inviting Rick Dunsford back on to talk with about what it feels like to be “banned” from a band you love. 

Tbh I made a choice not to have Rick on since his ban. I’m still friendly with him, but I was hoping that was one  of the choices I could make to get in the good graces of Fernando. It’s why I didn’t ask Fortus any GNR questions, why I seemed so nervous talking to DIzzy and Frank. Trying to play ball, hopefully prove myself. That’s what it’s all about, right? Proving yourself and hopefully earning an opportunity?  When I would hear their complaints, I did what I could to adhere to what they wanted. It’s why I didn’t say anything until now. 

Despite his ban, Rick has had plenty of positive experiences with Fernando.  I want to continue the narrative of a miscommunication rather than this turn into a bashing.  I don’t want them harassed or bad things said about Team Brazil.  Just to continue the conversation as to why. Why is it like this? 

 

I just read that you are writing a book with Doug here, is that true? What is it about? Aren't you worried that bringing out a book with Doug will definitely ruin your standing with the GNR camp since he is shitlisted by Axl/TB?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I just read that you are writing a book with Doug here, is that true? What is it about? Aren't you worried that bringing out a book with Doug will definitely ruin your standing with the GNR camp since he is shitlisted by Axl/TB?

Yes. Doug offered me the opportunity to write his autobiography. He tried a few years ago with a writer from Rolling Stone Italy I believe, but didn’t pan out.

”You don’t pick sides” is one of the reasons Doug wants me to help. So far we’ve recorded several conversations. Slightly over 100 pages of loosely edited material. Right now our schedules have prevented us from doing more, but that should change. A loose goal of next fall.

And yes I am worried. I was worried when I just told Alan Niven a few days ago given his feelings towards Doug. But despite his feelings, Alan appreciated me telling him about it. He said what I hope to get across, just to help tell Doug tell his story. It’s not my story, it’s his.  However I am helping him shape it, a success story all the way around. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

Yes. Doug offered me the opportunity to write his autobiography. He tried a few years ago with a writer from Rolling Stone Italy I believe, but didn’t pan out.

”You don’t pick sides” is one of the reasons Doug wants me to help. So far we’ve recorded several conversations. Slightly over 100 pages of loosely edited material. Right now our schedules have prevented us from doing more, but that should change. A loose goal of next fall.

And yes I am worried. I was worried when I just told Alan Niven a few days ago given his feelings towards Doug. But despite his feelings, Alan appreciated me telling him about it. He said what I hope to get across, just to help tell Doug tell his story. It’s not my story, it’s his.  However I am helping him shape it, a success story all the way around. 

That's cool. I know Alans view of Doug (a yes man) but that's just one mans opinion, it's always great to have an account from all people and then you can form an opinion on what actually was going on.

I hope it contains some cool GNR storys that aren't known widely, that would also help get his book noticed more. I remember he talked on the GNR Central podcasts years ago how Slash and Duff wrote the riff for Motley Crues "Dr. Feelgood" at rehearsal, and Nikki heard and stole it but Slash didn't care since he was his friend and they did drugs together, or something. Wish he went more indepth on that. I mean that song is huge and it seems no one knows about this. I wonder how much more such things Doug knows of, you have to get all of that out of him, it will make a really interesting book.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gambit83 said:

Couple things I’m thinking of: Doing a call-in episode. Could be fun or a disaster, like GNR. Also inviting Rick Dunsford back on to talk with about what it feels like to be “banned” from a band you love. 

Tbh I made a choice not to have Rick on since his ban. I’m still friendly with him, but I was hoping that was one  of the choices I could make to get in the good graces of Fernando. It’s why I didn’t ask Fortus any GNR questions, why I seemed so nervous talking to DIzzy and Frank. Trying to play ball, hopefully prove myself. That’s what it’s all about, right? Proving yourself and hopefully earning an opportunity?  When I would hear their complaints, I did what I could to adhere to what they wanted. It’s why I didn’t say anything until now. 

Despite his ban, Rick has had plenty of positive experiences with Fernando.  I want to continue the narrative of a miscommunication rather than this turn into a bashing.  I don’t want them harassed or bad things said about Team Brazil.  Just to continue the conversation as to why. Why is it like this? 

 

In the words of Axl Rose ... "Fuck that shit" 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gambit83 said:

Yes. Doug offered me the opportunity to write his autobiography. He tried a few years ago with a writer from Rolling Stone Italy I believe, but didn’t pan out.

Alright. This alone would make you a persona non grata with Team Brazil. Now things make even more sense. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Alright. This alone would make you a persona non grata with Team Brazil. Now things make even more sense. 

The book happened after Fernando’s text. He sent it after my interview with Frank. Doug and I have only been working on it this year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gambit83 said:

The book happened after Fernando’s text. He sent it after my interview with Frank. Doug and I have only been working on it this year.

Ok, that is disappointing. 

Considering Goldstein's nauseating letter to Axl back in 2009, I am glad he is not writing it himself :lol:

As for TB, with things as it is I agree you might as well burn all the bridges. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gambit83 said:

Yes. Doug offered me the opportunity to write his autobiography. He tried a few years ago with a writer from Rolling Stone Italy I believe, but didn’t pan out.

”You don’t pick sides” is one of the reasons Doug wants me to help. So far we’ve recorded several conversations. Slightly over 100 pages of loosely edited material. Right now our schedules have prevented us from doing more, but that should change. A loose goal of next fall.

And yes I am worried. I was worried when I just told Alan Niven a few days ago given his feelings towards Doug. But despite his feelings, Alan appreciated me telling him about it. He said what I hope to get across, just to help tell Doug tell his story. It’s not my story, it’s his.  However I am helping him shape it, a success story all the way around. 

Not sure that story pans out. Unless gnr were ripping this off too. Rest of the song doesn't sound like it but the main riff is there

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gambit83 said:

The book happened after Fernando’s text. He sent it after my interview with Frank. Doug and I have only been working on it this year.

I remember Doug telling you that Axl called him and said "I don't want you to say nice things about me" (if I were to guess, the context probably was that Axl told Doug not to talk about him at all, even if it's to say nice things), and that it was after one of your podcasts.

Also did London say that Axl called him after what he said about CD in the interview with you was turned into clickbait?

That would mean that Axl at least knows about your podcast, right? Maybe he hasn't listened to it and  just read excerpts on Blabbermouth or something, but he's heard of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

The same Dead Daisies who played Wacken a few years ago? Or just released an album with Glenn Hughes? C'mon man, they are hardly beginners.

 

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

True, but they are not and never will be headlining festivals, playing stadiums or headlining larger than 4/5000 capacity venues. The band is filled with big names though, they aren't some new underground act. 

The idea that Richard / Melissa / Frank would be destitute if GNR let them go is funny though. How did these people survive before GNR came a calling? better start a gofundme campaign. Obviously Dizzy was almost destitute when Axl called so that one is valid😄

They're still not playing GnR level venues or tours, and honestly the Fortus era of Dead Daisies wasn't as good as the Doug era (both with Corabi and Glenn). Doug took them to another level.

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I like Brent and I like Frank. My only gripe with Frank is when he changes the fills in places like  the intro / exit of the choruses in Yesterdays, it just sounds wrong, there are a few more cases just like this too. I don't really care that he adds ghost notes or changes up a beat here or there though. For example I like his Mr Brownstone, it's different but I think it works just fine and makes the song a bit more bouncy live. I prefer the original versions but Frank isn't Steven and to a point they have given the green light to play some things his way. Before 2016 I would have said that I liked 80% of what he does live, now I'd say it's closer to 60%. I guess he leans more on the Adler side of sloppiness these days, and less on technical Matt side like he used to do 2006-2014.

I think Brent is an out and out great drummer, but he is kinda the definition of utility player (although he can write parts). Frank wasn't really a session guy, he basically played with a bunch of bands, got known for being reliable and solid and he landed GNR. I have no doubt that if Axl or Slash went to Frank and said "learn the songs exact to the record" he'd play them effortlessly. I guess he's under the assumption that he is balancing his style with the other two. I don't really think he's playing as well as he could, but I also believe his playing now his the result of coaching... which I know a lot of people disagree with😄

I watched that Dio fundraiser live stream thing this week and he plays a song with Gilby (Long Live Rock n Roll by Rainbow) and he totally killed it, more or less played it like the record. Wish he would do that for GnR too. As far as Fitzy goes, he intentionally tries to play true to the record for any gig he does, including when he's played for Vince Neil, Gene Simmons, etc. He doesn't believe in trying to push his own thing on it, he wants to be true to the song, and that's something that really impressed me when what became SMKC started playing in 2010. Also I know for a fact that he doesn't like what Frank does with the songs :lol:

6 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Hardly beginners but they have essentially paid there way to where they are. I don’t think Glenn Hughes is there ONLY because of artistic pride.

Glenn didn't have an active gig at the time and DD needed a new singer and bass player, so they called Glenn because he can do both and he accepted. Simple as that. As far as the artistic side goes though this record with him is really good; he wrote some great songs.

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's financed by a millionaire, who's living out his rockstar dream. We'd all do it😄

Yeah I would've loved to have filled in on drums for their tour this year, would've been a good gig.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Why would does this mean that they have someone who finances them?

Couldn't it just be that they have connections from having played with a lot of people (either being in bands, or touring with big names, or doing session work for them etc.)?

 

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Oh, okay. I was really not familiar at all with the history of the Dead Daisies and how they started (and I had no idea who Lowry is), so I was wondering if it was just because Richard, Brian Tichy etc. have connections through the people they have played with.

 

David Lowry is the rhythm guitarist. Basically he had some kind of midlife crisis and realized that he had spent his life doing corporate business stuff instead of his dream of playing in a rock band, so he used his resources to put together a band. Not hating on the guy, he seems cool and he can play too, plus the new record is really good. He's built up connections over time to help book tours etc and recruit big name players. Wish they had brought back Tichy though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Not sure that story pans out. Unless gnr were ripping this off too. Rest of the song doesn't sound like it but the main riff is there

 

I fail to see how whether GNR ripped this song off or not would change anything at all in the story Doug told

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TB must feel threatened when successful & experience former band managers are given the forum to speak. What would become of TB if Axl replaced them with real management? Beta will stay on as a valuable asset to Axl as a motherly figure but the rest are grown up and would have to forge their own paths. They certainly don’t have the resume and credentials to latch on as managers for another successful band.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That's cool. I know Alans view of Doug (a yes man) but that's just one mans opinion, it's always great to have an account from all people and then you can form an opinion on what actually was going on.

I hope it contains some cool GNR storys that aren't known widely, that would also help get his book noticed more. I remember he talked on the GNR Central podcasts years ago how Slash and Duff wrote the riff for Motley Crues "Dr. Feelgood" at rehearsal, and Nikki heard and stole it but Slash didn't care since he was his friend and they did drugs together, or something. Wish he went more indepth on that. I mean that song is huge and it seems no one knows about this. I wonder how much more such things Doug knows of, you have to get all of that out of him, it will make a really interesting book.

Yeah I want to hear the unknown stuff. When I met Niven a few years ago I asked him if he had any cool less widely known stories that he wanted to share (nothing controversial, just stuff we haven't heard before) and he was like, "oh I've done some interviews, go listen to them." As long as it's not any of that weird stuff that Doug's been saying (Slash's soul flying away or whatever) then it would be cool to hear new insights and stories. That's what I was hoping with Matt's book but he didn't go very in depth with some of that stuff.

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Guys I think we're overlooking something quite sinister here...what the fuck are they hiding? This type of behaviour would to me appear to be fraudulent actions in the background, I don't have to guess that they are stealing everyone blind 

I think at one point during the nu era they owed Dizzy a lot of money (wages); I wonder if anything like that still happens. Or just personal drama (Slash and Duff secretly hate Fernando or something like that).

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I remember Doug telling you that Axl called him and said "I don't want you to say nice things about me" (if I were to guess, the context probably was that Axl told Doug not to talk about him at all, even if it's to say nice things), and that it was after one of your podcasts.

Also did London say that Axl called him after what he said about CD in the interview with you was turned into clickbait?

That would mean that Axl at least knows about your podcast, right? Maybe he hasn't listened to it and  just read excerpts on Blabbermouth or something, but he's heard of it.

London was probably like, "wtf bro who is this? Uncle Axl?" :lol:

Actually until a few years ago he hadn't met Axl so his whole childhood Axl was just known as "that guy who was in dad's old band."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gambit83 said:

The book happened after Fernando’s text. He sent it after my interview with Frank. Doug and I have only been working on it this year.

Did Doug offer you some kind of big payday? At some point or another, this was going to go public, and it seems like a very strange move for someone to make who runs a Guns N' Roses podcast with aspirations of one day interviewing Axl. 

I am not being sarcastic or smart alec-y, just genuinely curious what made you choose to tackle this project, as it seems in direct contradiction to your goals with the podcast. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

London was probably like, "wtf bro who is this? Uncle Axl?" :lol:

Actually until a few years ago he hadn't met Axl so his whole childhood Axl was just known as "that guy who was in dad's old band."

Rather as "That bad guy who dad was in GN'R with" :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Stay.Of.Execution changed the title to Team Brazil being fucking idiots (AFD Podcast)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...