07/31/21 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Powerage5

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I didn't expect them to play Hardschool at this show, but some time later on the tour.

But I did expect Axl would sound better than he did. Mostly because of the clips from the soundcheck two days before the show - he sounded good on that Jungle clip.

Given how he sounded at the show, it's for the best that they didn't debut HS.

Yes, he has lost weight.

At least this may put an end to the theories that his weight has much to do with his voice.

Your post was right when said they isn't should play "Hardschool " in the first show 👍

• Like 1

@Powerage5hit the nail on the head with every song just dragging on and the 2nd half of the set being Slash soloing. I remember it felt like it sucked the air out of the shows I attended in 2017 - but they were great shows though.

At $29 I'd pay to see this same show again. Probably not much more though. Glad I got my $400 refund last year...

Edited by Coma16
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I honestly think there is some permanent damage and it's time to

xplore new arrangements of the songs that fit his natural voice and leave the highs for the biggest of hits only (mainly Jungle, SCOM, and Paradise City). I think he could get away with only using the "signature Axl voice" on those three.

I have been saying this for years. No reason a ton of these songs wouldn't work with Axl using his lower voice which is still pretty good.  He always sounds good on Easy, Brownstone, DTJ, etc.

35 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Wow. It seems that this could really be the end of the line for Axl, or at least for Axl as we know him since 2011. It's been downhill since 2016, to be honest. His voice sounds absolutely fried, he has no control, no power.

I honestly think he overdid it with AC/DC and the endless touring. I hope he has the clarity to take a step back and consider tuning down or reworking his approach to his songs.

Agreed about the AC/DC tour, it's when his voice started consistently cracking, and it was all downhill from there. The excessive NITL touring just added to the damage he'd already done.

They could honestly play a 2.5-3 hour show that sounds great. Save the rasp for a couple songs, drop a couple hits that haven't sounded good in years, and utilize his natural voice. But like @Pedrolg said, he's probably too proud/stubborn to admit he can't sing a lot of his own songs anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

I don't think this has nothing to do with lazyness or fitness. This vocal damage/loss of range. Axl sings way above the healthy range for his natural register. With extreme amounts of drive while at that. This time was always going to come for him, he lasted quite long.

No vocal coach, vocal exercises or time at the gym will bring him back. He needs a realistic approach to the songs, and tha takes time and experimentation. He is probably so proud of his range and power and might be struggling to come to terms with age catcing up to him.

You probably have the most rational take on this. It's been a slow decline for Axl vocally since 93 even though he's had some great stretches since.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Wow. It seems that this could really be the end of the line for Axl, or at least for Axl as we know him since 2011. It's been downhill since 2016, to be honest. His voice sounds absolutely fried, he has no control, no power.

I honestly think he overdid it with AC/DC and the endless touring. I hope he has the clarity to take a step back and consider tuning down or reworking his approach to his songs.

Dude needs vocal surgery. Lots of singers have done this and restored their vocals.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

Worst GNR show since the reunion and magically the forum is offline for two days 👀

Let’s not go into conspiracy territory. Purely a financial decision based on server costs when our traffic spiked:

• Like 2

Just now, 2020_Intensions said:

I was at the show. I was blown away by how Axl sounded. I thought he did a really good job given the current state of his voice. It was a lot better than the last time I saw them in 2019 at the Charlotte show. And it was awesome for me to get to hear Dead Horse live for the first time. 

I agree.  Axl at times was really good.  Again it's easy to pick out the times he wasn't and focus on them but I think that he was good way more often than not.  But whatever.

Hearing Slither, Dead Horse and You're Crazy was awesome.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Let’s not go into conspiracy territory. Purely a financial decision based on server costs when our traffic spiked:

My working theory was you guys heard this show's YCBM and decided to shut down the forum and follow Dead and Company instead :lol:

• Haha 1

"And if you’re wondering if Guns N’ Roses still has it - time takes a toll on everyone, particularly singers - the answer is absolutely yes. Rose’s trademark wail is still belting out over songs like “Paradise City,” which is remarkable not only for his continued strength since 1985, but also over a year’s hiatus in live performances."

https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/2021/08/guns-n-roses-at-hersheypark-stadium-how-was-the-first-big-concert-since-the-pandemic-began.html

As others are saying on here: He may be thinner now, but his voice is still shit. I agree with most of you here that they should revamp the setlist to focus primarily on low-register songs, with the exception of the “AFD big three” and November Rain, as those four tracks will probably always need to be part of the set no matter what.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GNRfanMILO said:

That is just not true. Cellphone videos (SPECIALLY in 2021) sound exactly like what you hear when you are there. Cellphone videos don't add or remove rasp.

Axl sounds like shit live and on video.

I mean most people who goes to the shows seem to disagree.  The reaction at Hershey was pretty positive.  But I'm not going to argue about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

"And it was almost like vintage 1988 Axl was in the house, swinging and swaying back and forth, just as you’d hope he might. Vocally, he has to really reach for some of the notes these days, but he was in otherwise strong voice."oses-first-show-2021/?utm_source=

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-first-show-2021/

Does this guy write for the Onion by any chance? Lol

• GNFNR 2
  • Haha 1