07/31/21 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Powerage5

12 hours ago, felixGNR said:

he needs a voice lift surgery  to start.

I looked into what a "voice lift" is. It seems there are some famous singers who got vocal surgeries (Aerosmith for example).

I just don't think Axl would risk doing something that could potentially change his voice when there is still money to be made by touring.

21 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I will agree with that.  At first I saw the setlist and and watched a few clips and was like WTF??

If there was a silver lining it was that I liked Slash's tone and the tempo was noticeably better on a lot of songs. November Rain for one. It seems as though they may have dropped the pyro and click track which is a great thing. 

Axl was brutal and I just hope he is better tonight. He had to just straight up skip lines and words which I really don't ever recall him doing.  

For the amount of money they charge, I enjoy the 3 hours shows and it was a bummer to see a shorter version of almost the exact setlist. The band should have rented an arena for a week and just played the shit out of all their songs (with Axl) 

Would have liked to see Locomotive, Shadow, Think About You and Out Ta Get Me.. The only songs they played last night that I haven't see during the reunion were Dead Horse, Slither, You're Crazy and I'm Gonna Be Your Dog..  Hopefully they at least play those tonight.

I know Axl is generally pretty bad the first show..  Does he ever improve by the second one?

I’m in the same state of thinking. Headed to Fenway tonight too (as I’m sure you are) and the only must hear for me is locomotive. I can deal with not hearing dead horse, slither, you’re crazy, and duffs cover. Those are all new to me as well since last show I went to was in Hartford. TWAT would be my other must hear but I don’t think I’ll get either. Hopefully it’s a longer set and smoother sailing than the other night but I’m not getting my hopes up. 

as long as slash has the same tone as the other night I’ll be happy. I thought it was incredible and the more I watch it this morning the more I’m in awe. 

He could sing more songs like Catcher, Atlas, If The World, Prostitute, etc. which utilize his clean voice most of the time. It was irritating to me in 2009, 2010 or whatever when he would rasp through those through and through, sounded off since he didn't do that a lot on the album. I think it's better (these days) to use the rasp in bits of songs, sort of like Scraped, as an example. His clean voice is natural anyways, probably better for him to stick to that. 

5 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I’m going to Glasgow as well and it’ll be my first time seeing them as I wasn’t a nu guns fan and I said I would only see them if slash came back. So I’m just going to enjoy seeing my favourite band play songs I enjoy listening to. The good thing is Glasgow is nearer the end of the European leg so there’s a better chance we might see Axl sing as good as he’s going to be on that leg of the tour. 

Yeah - hopefully things will have been sorted by then in terms of song choice/singing style. At the very least I’d want ‘decent’ vocals……!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VeeR said:

I looked into what a "voice lift" is. It seems there are some famous singers who got vocal surgeries (Aerosmith for example).

I just don't think Axl would risk doing something that could potentially change his voice when there is still money to be made by touring.

I guess it depends on what the damage is. And if he was going to do it then lockdown surely would’ve been the time (unless he was recording vocals for studio tracks…….it’s possible 🤣).

Tyler is lucky in that he has a high speaking voice meaning his singing voice is not that far away….Axl has a deep speaking voice and so the stretch to his singing voice was always ‘odd’ and certainly not easy to maintain.

Has there ever been any breakdown of his signing style?

Edited by DTJ80

15 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

He could sing more songs like Catcher, Atlas, If The World, Prostitute, etc. which utilize his clean voice most of the time. It was irritating to me in 2009, 2010 or whatever when he would rasp through those through and through, sounded off since he didn't do that a lot on the album. I think it's better (these days) to use the rasp in bits of songs, sort of like Scraped, as an example. His clean voice is natural anyways, probably better for him to stick to that. 

Yah, but no one wants to hear him sing that garbage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I guess it depends on what the damage is. And if he was going to do it then lockdown surely would’ve been the time (unless he was recording vocals for studio tracks…….it’s possible 🤣).

Tyler is lucky in that he has a high speaking voice meaning his singing voice is not that far away….Axl has a deep speaking voice and so the stretch to his singing voice was always ‘odd’ and certainly not easy to maintain.

Has there ever been any breakdown of his signing style?

Prince had as low of a speaking voice as Axl, maybe even lower. I saw him in concert a year before his death and he was hitting notes higher than they were on the record. 

I realize Prince never sang with rasp or certainly not anywhere near as much as Axl. However, it does prove that you can sing very high, very well as long as you take care of yourself and your voice. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I will agree with that.  At first I saw the setlist and and watched a few clips and was like WTF??

If there was a silver lining it was that I liked Slash's tone and the tempo was noticeably better on a lot of songs. November Rain for one. It seems as though they may have dropped the pyro and click track which is a great thing. 

Axl was brutal and I just hope he is better tonight. He had to just straight up skip lines and words which I really don't ever recall him doing.  

For the amount of money they charge, I enjoy the 3 hours shows and it was a bummer to see a shorter version of almost the exact setlist. The band should have rented an arena for a week and just played the shit out of all their songs (with Axl) 

Would have liked to see Locomotive, Shadow, Think About You and Out Ta Get Me.. The only songs they played last night that I haven't see during the reunion were Dead Horse, Slither, You're Crazy and I'm Gonna Be Your Dog..  Hopefully they at least play those tonight.

I know Axl is generally pretty bad the first show..  Does he ever improve by the second one?

Im not opposed to a shorter set if Axl could nail the songs far better. Glad they cut some of the cover fillers but they are still over playing songs like kohd, rq, nr. No reason to have them play so damn long.

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Prince had as low of a speaking voice as Axl, maybe even lower. I saw him in concert a year before his death and he was hitting notes higher than they were on the record. 

I realize Prince never sang with rasp or certainly not anywhere near as much as Axl. However, it does prove that you can sing very high, very well as long as you take care of yourself and your voice. 

Oh totally - and what we now know about Prince and the substances makes it all the more admirable.

Its that ‘rasp’ that’s the difference…..I’ve tried to do it just for a laugh and very quickly it’s a disaster 🤣.

Some of those shows back in 91 in particular must have caused damage (Nobelsville) as that was like the rasp had rasp! The life of a rock n roll singer who lived the life and never took the care needed to preserve his voice right from the off. I’ve often said - these guys probably didn’t think they would last as a band or live very long and so didn’t do the things most bands do to try and ensure longevity.

I guess we are all looking for improvement tonight to give some hope that not all is lost.

Question: What time did WVH come on stage and then what time did GNR come on stage?  I'm taking my 72 year old mom to the MetLife show in NJ on Thursday and don't want her to have to sit in the seat any longer than necessary.  Seeing WVH is NOT a priority for me.  Thank you! 

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Who's nitpicking rasp? There's barely even been a mention of rasp in this thread since the forum came back online a few hours ago. Regardless, I don't think it's embarrassing to hold someone you are giving your money to to some sort of standard. There were songs Saturday night where Axl couldn't get the rasp, couldn't stay on pitch, couldn't pronounce his words, and couldn't even navigate all of the lyrics. There were songs (Better was the most obvious) where there were literally zero redeeming qualities. 

Please. This forum has been going after the level of "rasp" in his voice for years. I'm not sure if you can search by keywords on this but if you searched that word you'd be in for plenty of reading material.

I agree that its important to hold someone to a standard of performance but I'm going into these shows with my eyes open. He's, what, 58/59? I don't expect him to hold the notes like he could back in 1992 (since they returned to touring in 2002 can anyone truly give me an example of a strong vocal performance during November Rain?). I expect him to deliver a fun, exciting show where everyone can go home having enjoyed themselves. If it's true they're slowing down the pace of songs etc. then that tells you all you need to know. Time is catching up with them.

6 minutes ago, vloors said:

Im not opposed to a shorter set if Axl could nail the songs far better. Glad they cut some of the cover fillers but they are still over playing songs like kohd, rq, nr. No reason to have them play so damn long.

Yup - KOHD needs halved. RQ needs shortened too - the momentum is killed now with the jam….NuGNR did it better in that regard!

• Like 2

The scary thing is for the 1st time he sounded like (e.g the bridge on ycbm) that his voice just wouldn't go there and it was just dropping to his normal voice another example is from Hershey when he said "it's gonna bring you down" on jungle, And the other frustrating thing is, there are plenty of songs which would suit Axls voice more now or he could sing in a normal register which would still kick ass.... you ain't the first, the garden, pretty tied up...New songs 😬👀 Imo after 2017 given the huge gnr tour and acdc axl probably could have done with 2018 and 2019 off from touring.

19 minutes ago, Dangom1 said:

The scary thing is for the 1st time he sounded like (e.g the bridge on ycbm) that his voice just wouldn't go there and it was just dropping to his normal voice another example is from Hershey when he said "it's gonna bring you down" on jungle, And the other frustrating thing is, there are plenty of songs which would suit Axls voice more now or he could sing in a normal register which would still kick ass.... you ain't the first, the garden, pretty tied up...New songs 😬👀 Imo after 2017 given the huge gnr tour and acdc axl probably could have done with 2018 and 2019 off from touring.

This bit was actually powerful and sounded great. As mentioned earlier he should just go ‘fuck it’ and switch to that voice almost full time save for a few essentials (3 or 4 songs).

Curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at that Deadhorse posted. Was thinking 'oh, it's fine, what are people grumbling about, nothing wring with it......" then it got to about 2 minutes in. What the hell? Just terrible. He clearly can't sing it anymore. 

I'd wager we won't be seeing Deadhorse again. 

• GNFNR 1

Attended this show, after attending the opening show in Berlin 2018. I was hoping to see a more prepared band this time, and boy was I wrong.

Total shit show from start to finish, awful setlist, Axl bitching about audio all night and running for oxygen, no voice, missing lines.

I personally thought the band itself sounded good, liked Slash's tone. Frank seemed to be in better rhythm.

Hard to give them a pass after spending the coin on expensive seats. Really pissed.

Edited by sbrichard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VeeR said:

EVERY change would be a change for the better though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ohmygod said:

Remember how cynical everyone was around here after the first shows in 2009?! Then 2010 turned out to be one of the best yet.

Umm, no... the 2009 Japan shows were probably the most expansive, unpredictable and exciting of this century, and the performances were unreal (apart from maybe Prostitute, which Axl hadn't really worked out how to sing live yet). Everyone was HYPED as far as I can remember.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2